Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Schmiegle's Silver Surfer Build

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Schmiegle's Silver Surfer Build

Old 07-17-16, 07:25 PM
Schmiegle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Last Dremel tool rework:

Right Chain Stay: Diamond cutter wheel / 60 & 120 barrels / 10 mins 80 grit hand sand.
Left Chain Stay: Diamond Cutter / Light 60 barrels

Note the remaining nickel / chrome plating on the aft ~10" of chain stay. That stuff is TOUGH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9407.jpg (91.8 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Schmiegle; 07-17-16 at 07:29 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-17-16, 07:28 PM
Schmiegle

AAAAAAAAAAAAND... What I spent an hour (HAND SANDING PORTION ONLY...) on today!

Right Seat Stay: Diamond cutter / 60 & 120 barrels / 80-grit hand sand.
Left Seat Stay: Dimond cutter only at top / 60 & 120 barrels remaining.
Attached Images
IMG_9398.jpg (95.1 KB, 327 views)
Old 07-18-16, 07:21 AM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am also a bit curious with all those fancy more blingy parts on an old peugot frame from the dumpster seems odd but could work out ok. I am not a fan of WI or Paul cranks but not really for looks just for having proprietary chainrings rather than a standard BCD like 130 (or 110). Other than that they are swell.
True to the Frenchie crank assembly nature I figure I'd continue in keeping it as unique (BB threading & cup tool / ISO spindle standard / pedal threading) and backwards (metric and non reverse threading) as possible! 😝

Re: SL crank. I am having an issue removing the screws that attach the gears to the crank arms. One screw is spinning along with the insert. Is it meant to have a flat head screw driver holding steady on he other side? I haven't looked real close at it yet but ideas would be helpful.

Last edited by Schmiegle; 07-18-16 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 08:58 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
What's with all the grinding and sanding? Are you going to paint it?
Old 07-18-16, 09:23 AM
Schmiegle

Since you asked & want to ruin the surprise for everyone...! ;-)

The plan is for a chemical bath to eliminate all embedded micro dirt. Complete polish. Full frame and fork Copper, Nickel, Chromium dip! Bake out the hydrogen to eliminate all embrittlement.

Before I send it out I need ALL discrepancies removed & a solid hand polishing with 400 grit.

Stay SPACY friends! :-D

Last edited by Schmiegle; 07-18-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 10:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
What did you do with the original parts? That Stronglight crank is great, why not give it a polishing and use it?
Indeed. And the frame looks like a PX-10, which would be Reynolds 531 butted tubing; one of the nicest affordable race frames made. More than a couple TdFs were raced on PX-10s.

The one downside would be metric thread in the bottom bracket and steer tube, which means a little more work sourcing replacements, should that be needed. The original Stronglight bottom bracket and headset were good quality, so there's no reason to replace them unless they're irredeemably worn or damaged.
Old 07-18-16, 10:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Schmiegle
Haven't put any effort into the Stonglight crank... Yet! I suspect it can be cleaned up nicely. But a couple things with that path:

Can it be disassembled into a single speed crankset on the same 44mm chain line as the rear hub? ISO BB spindle should fit.
I wouldn't anticipate much problem there, as long as the rings are a size you can use. That mod. 93 crank uses an obsolete 122mm bolt-circle diameter for which different size rings are scarce. And be aware that a proprietary 23.35mm diameter extractor is needed to properly remove the arms.

Is it 170mm arm length, as if prefer to maximize the mechanical advantage on the single speed?
For single-speed (freewheel), no problem. For a fixed gear, the frame has a lower bottom bracket than frames designed for track, increasing the risk of pedal strike in cornering.

Is the pedal threading the same as I haven't procured pedals yet?
Pedal thread spec should be stamped in the back of the arm, "9/16 x 20" for English, "14 x 125" for metric. N.B. a metric thread arm can easily be tapped to English thread spec.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 07-18-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 10:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Re: SL crank. I am having an issue removing the screws that attach the gears to the crank arms. One screw is spinning along with the insert. Is it meant to have a flat head screw driver holding steady on he other side? I haven't looked real close at it yet but ideas would be helpful.
Best thing is a chainring bolt spanner:

Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!
Old 07-18-16, 10:26 AM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Indeed. And the frame looks like a PX-10, which would be Reynolds 531 butted tubing; one of the nicest affordable race frames made. More than a couple TdFs were raced on PX-10s.

The one downside would be metric thread in the bottom bracket and steer tube, which means a little more work sourcing replacements, should that be needed. The original Stronglight bottom bracket and headset were good quality, so there's no reason to replace them unless they're irredeemably worn or damaged.
All good points John!

I think it's a 1971 PX-10 based on original decals, Naplex lugs, and Reynolds 531 stickers on frame and fork. As I understand it, Reynolds 531 can be chromed nicely as noted on the original chain stay and fork details. The idea this steel frame was a SOLID ride original should carry through to today, I hope!

As for the SL headset. New ball bearings and grease and everything up top should come back together nicely based on post cleaning inspection!

As for the BB. Stock Cups are toasted and pitted. Spindle is the same. The fixed cup was a BOOGER BEAR to get unsiezed! Had to use a vice and spin the frame around it. By the original condition I think the bike sat in a flooded basement/garage for just long enough to corrode components and not the frame... Too much! I AM THANKFUL threading is undamaged.

I sourced a new Phil Wood BB and it is SILKY SMOOTH. Bought Frenchie cups off eBay and found out they were an older Aluminum revision. Tossed em and called PW directly for new Steel cups and dust guards. SUPERB finish on them both!
Old 07-18-16, 10:29 AM
Schmiegle

I KNEW IT! Thanks for the link. The crank is now back down to the bottom of the priority list, just above the derailleurs!
Old 07-18-16, 11:06 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I sourced a new Phil Wood BB and it is SILKY SMOOTH. Bought Frenchie cups off eBay and found out they were an older Aluminum revision. Tossed em and called PW directly for new Steel cups and dust guards. SUPERB finish on them both!
Unless there was something specifically wrong with those aluminum cups, there was no need to get rid of them. I'm using English PW aluminum cups and have had no issues. Just an FYI if you haven't actually thrown them in the trash...
Old 07-18-16, 11:25 AM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Unless there was something specifically wrong with those aluminum cups, there was no need to get rid of them. I'm using English PW aluminum cups and have had no issues. Just an FYI if you haven't actually thrown them in the trash...
Tool notches and inner diameter of one cup was cut improperly and too large. Dust guard o-ring didn't fully seat in cup. New steel cups were CNC cut significantly more accurate. Fit is REAL nice! Plus I ordered a couple PW pint glasses too!
Old 07-18-16, 01:07 PM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is awesome. That's all I have to add. Carry on.
Old 07-18-16, 01:13 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
One does not simply post about Phil Wood parts without including pictures.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 07-18-16, 03:20 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Just want to point out Bike Recyclery to the OP if he is not aware of the site.

HIGH END Used & Vintage Bike Shop! We stock Campagnolo XTR TA Suntour Parts NIB NOS
Old 07-18-16, 03:41 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by Ajkollme
This thread is awesome. That's all I have to add. Carry on.
Thanks! I'm really trying to create something special! A bit of a rolling art piece?

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Just want to point out Bike Recyclery to the OP if he is not aware of the site.

HIGH END Used & Vintage Bike Shop! We stock Campagnolo XTR TA Suntour Parts NIB NOS
Thanks for the site! I'm interested in finding some trick high quality Stainless Steel brake cables and housings. Trying to stay with the Silver theme and avoid a black cable. Any ideas? I've got just about everything else covered, I believe.
Old 07-18-16, 03:58 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by seau grateau
One does not simply post about Phil Wood parts without including pictures.
Poo poo my crank and then demand photos...? WTF?! HAHAH! I kid I kid!

Left: Stainless Steel Cups and installed mud guard.
Right: Aluminum Cups.

NOTE: Threading damage and "relatively" poor inner diameter cogs.
Apparently PW revised the design of these cups 15-20 YEARS ago and I didn't catch that upon getting a deal on eBay...
Ya pay for what ya get, I guess?
Attached Images
IMG_9421.jpg (96.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 07-18-16, 04:24 PM
Schmiegle

I wouldn't anticipate much problem there, as long as the rings are a size you can use. That mod. 93 crank uses an obsolete 122mm bolt-circle diameter for which different size rings are scarce. And be aware that a proprietary 23.35mm diameter extractor is needed to properly remove the arms.

For single-speed (freewheel), no problem. For a fixed gear, the frame has a lower bottom bracket than frames designed for track, increasing the risk of pedal strike in cornering.

Pedal thread spec should be stamped in the back of the arm, "9/16 x 20" for English, "14 x 125" for metric. N.B. a metric thread arm can easily be tapped to English thread spec.
I feel the draw for the SL gear as to give a super nod to the PX-10.

For a stream lined design factor, I'm drawn towards the Paul Comp circle gear.

For the hidden Easter egg factor, I really like the Royal Flush once it's held up to the frame.
Or would the UFO rims and chrome frame will be such intense visual would the mat finish of the gear would draw the eyes in?

Now that I look at them side by side, it appears the Royal Flush is "meatier".

Both PC's are on 1/8" chain so I don't know what to think now.
Old 07-18-16, 05:02 PM
NWGuy99
Mike R

Bikes: 2000 Sampson Z7, 70-73? Peugeot PX10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for the pictures. I think I see where you are going here.
I think the final blingness coefficient might be assisted by upgrading from the Simplex Criterium RD with plastic to the more modern Simplex SLJ. A Simplex 6600 RD paired with the Modern Retrofriction downtube FD would look nice (or did you say single speed?).

I also see you have the new Brooks seat but what about the older Ideale with a nicely polished, shiny aluminum rail structure? The leather might be old and possibly need replacing but a 90R with a black seat along with black cork/leather handlebar tape might play off the bling nicely. Also there are some good leather seat workers here who could totally replace the leather if you could not find one with good enough leather.

Last edited by NWGuy99; 07-18-16 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For NWGuy99:
Old 07-18-16, 05:51 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by mikerudinsky
Very interesting. Thanks for the pictures. I think I see where you are going here.
I think the final blingness coefficient might be assisted by upgrading from the Simplex Criterium RD with plastic to the more modern Simplex SLJ. A Simplex 6600 RD paired with the Modern Retrofroction downtube FD would look nice (or did you say single speed?).

I also see you have the new Brooks seat but what about the older Ideale with a nicely polished, shiny aluminum rail structure? The leather might be old and possibly need replacing but a 90R with a black seat along with black cork/leather handlebar tape might play off the bling nicely. Also there are some good leather seat workers here who could totally replace the leather if you could not find one with good enough leather.

Single speed or Fixed. First Ride will be Single Speed.

The C17 Brooks seat was another nod to the PX-10, as the B17 is what came stock on it.

But the C17 is sleeker in lines and maybe a bit more comfortable? I do like the bit more protruding head style fasteners of the C17 over the full countersunk rivet of the B17.

I CANNOT believe a previous owner tossed a B17 for this duder though!

As for the bars... I like the idea of black leather and silver brake lines (running sub grip?)!

But not sure about the MAFAC levers and hoods.

The levers are good but the hoods are pretty shabby. Replace with black hoods? I don't really need hoods, right?
Attached Images
IMG_9422.jpg (96.0 KB, 263 views)
IMG_9423.jpg (95.5 KB, 263 views)
IMG_9424.jpg (95.7 KB, 263 views)
Old 07-18-16, 06:18 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
The levers are good but the hoods are pretty shabby. Replace with black hoods? I don't really need hoods, right?
Color coordination has never been a primary requirement for me but for rides > than around the block lever hoods are well appreciated on a FG/SS.

VO may have hoods & cable housing:

Components

-Bandera
Old 07-18-16, 06:29 PM
NWGuy99
Mike R

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have attached a few photos (first time post upgrade) to indicate what I am thinking. The Ideale 90R was an option on some of the PX90s according to https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...10_history.htm, and the aluminum structure would really complement the other bling you are doing.

As for your question re Mafac, I have attached another photo showing the drilled levers, with black hard plastic covers and the actual brakes. Silver cable lines might look cool.
Attached Images
WP_20160718_16_57_49_Pro.jpg (97.0 KB, 255 views)
WP_20160718_16_59_59_Pro 1.jpg (97.0 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by NWGuy99; 07-18-16 at 06:55 PM.
Likes For NWGuy99:
Old 07-18-16, 06:54 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by mikerudinsky
I have attached a few photos (first time post upgrade) to indicate what I am thinking. The Ideale 90R was an option on some of the PX90s according to PX-10_History, and the rail structure would really complement the other bling you are doing.

As for your question re Mafac, I have attached another photo showing the drilled levers, with black hard plastic covers and the actual brakes. Silver cable lines might look cool.
Wild rail structure! How would that fit my Simplex seat post? I'm thinking this C17 should be a direct fit?

Hoods look nice but I'm still not understanding why they're needed or wanted? Bling off the eye?! LOL!
Old 07-18-16, 07:08 PM
NWGuy99
Mike R

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ahh, yes, this seat would want a simple post hole structure and would probably not work OOTB (out of the box) with the Simplex post you mentioned. I believe the C17, or other Ideale or most other seats would work with the two tube structure.

On the MAFAC I found, in the photo, the hood was hard plastic and not removable. There might be other functions, but offhand one major one is riding with your hands high on the handlebars/brakehoods. When standing up off the seat and over the bars it is nice to position your hands there. Not sure how that would feel without them? One other bikes, I have replaced old ones with newly manufactured ones (Cane Creek comes to mind) that should not be too expensive.
Old 07-18-16, 07:51 PM
Schmiegle

Thanks for the Ideale! Hah!

Leather is timeless, while the C17 is contemporary like Squid pointed out! The Chrome is more of the timeless focus though. I'll think about it though! :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.