Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

new bookcase? no car? no problem!

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 08-12-19, 11:06 PM
Retfor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

taking my new bookcase for a ride in the park:

i transported it six miles to get it home. im sure i must have gotten quite a few stares...
Likes For Retfor:
Old 08-12-19, 11:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Old 08-13-19, 03:36 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Yes, from people wondering if that thing was going to fall off and hit something. That tower in Pisa would have toppled at that angle and one nasty bump could have taken that shelving down as well.

Look at the incline on that kiddie hauler and know you were lucky.
Old 08-13-19, 06:33 AM
Retfor

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Yes, from people wondering if that thing was going to fall off and hit something. That tower in Pisa would have toppled at that angle and one nasty bump could have taken that shelving down as well.

Look at the incline on that kiddie hauler and know you were lucky.
one guy did actually yell out "thats gonna fall!" but it was actually quite stable. the base is wedged against the front lip of it quite well. i dont know that the bungees were even necessary, but i put em on just in case. i got two of them with no problems at all, including going up some relatively steep inclines.
Old 08-14-19, 02:12 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Wow! That does look as though the bookcase might fall over at any moment.

But, props to you for getting it home, safely.
Old 08-14-19, 02:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
I've carried 2x4's in the air somewhat like that, but I try to get most of the big stuff generally lower.

Your weight, of course, holds the trailer tongue, whether it is positive or negative tongue weight. Negative tongue weight does, however, affect the handling.

I have flipped my trailer a few times. Most commonly on curb cuts. The last time just knocked me down... BAM!!! I discovered it has to do with how the Bike Friday trailer flips in that the tongue impacts the tire. More thought on that in the future.

Yours may actually be safer because it can't flip over. And, of course, weight impacts stability. Even high weight may not be as bad as one thinks (until you pass the point of no return).
Old 08-16-19, 03:46 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What was that like for weight distribution?
Old 08-18-19, 07:59 PM
Retfor

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
What was that like for weight distribution?
it wasnt bad at all. it did have a slight tendancy to fall back, as i discoverd on the first one. i had forgotten to bring the hitch to attach it to the bike with me*, and had to jerry-rig it. that came partly undone about 2/3 of the way home and i had to fix it. when i fully detached it, it had a bit of a tendancy to fall back, which i had to quickly counter, but it wasnt as if it suddenly fell almost completely over. while attached, the bike was enough to keep it down, even without me on it, although the motor certainly helped with that. on other bikes ive had loads on the rear rack that would tip the bike if i wasnt on it. side to side wasnt an issue.

*the first one i went to get after dropping off my son at daycare. he now rides in a thule, which is the hitch i keep on my bike all the time. when i use this one, which is now for cargo, i padlock the hitch for it to my rear rack so that i dont have to keep the hitch on all the time. to go drop him off, i attach the thule to my bike, then the cargo trailer to the thule with the strap only, which is more than enough when its empty. (although i have to put his bag in it or it has a tendency to flop around and flip.) after dropping him off, i leave the thule there and attach just the instep to my bike via the hitch on my rack. but i was in a rush and forgot to take it, and didnt have time to go back for it.