Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Dedicated bike for trainer?

Old 02-12-20, 09:03 PM
bpmunroe 

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint AL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dedicated bike for trainer?

I have a wheels-on trainer that I use in the winter months with my bike (trek FX hybrid style, about ten years old ballpark). My teenage sons have also started using the trainer this winter. I would like to leave the trainer set up year round. This means either leaving the current bike on the trainer and replacing my bike, or getting a new bike just for the trainer.

any suggestions? I am contemplating getting a cheapo big box store bike for the trainer, but a new bike for me is also intriguing. Not a huge budget for a new bike for me (700-800) so just looking for some thoughts and suggestions.

thanks
Old 02-12-20, 11:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 266 Posts
Main thing in a trainer bike is that the fit, position, and saddle are the same as on your outdoor bike. Not absolutely necessary, but then trainer adaptations translate better to the outdoors. Your decision would be more about how you plan to use the outdoor bike. Same as before? Different? How?
Old 02-13-20, 01:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 647 Posts
I mostly use my 1989 steel Centurion Ironman on a Cycleops trainer, although I also ride the bike outdoors.

Last year I mostly rode a '93 carbon fiber Trek 5900 outdoors, but had to disassemble it in January for overdue service. There are just enough differences between those bikes to require some adaptation when I rode the Ironman outdoors. Recently I had some knee twinges and residual pain from riding the Ironman. So I swiped the crankset from the Trek to try on the Ironman. That resolved the knee problems. There was just enough difference between the 170 and 172. cranks, and 52/42 Biopace chainrings and 50/38 round chainrings, to throw me off my familiar ergonomic balance.

If I bought a bike dedicated to the trainer, I'd get a rougher Ironman or the later Diamondback version that used a slightly cheaper and heavier steel tubing. As long as the geometry and bike fit matched, it would be fine on the trainer without any problems adapting to outdoor rides.
Old 02-13-20, 05:23 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
I'm using my 25 year old Trek 520 touring bike pretty much full time in the basement on the indoor trainer/Zwift setup. I ended up donating my even older Schwinn Hybrid beater bike and buying what today is called a gravel bike (Jamis, in my case) to be my touring/unpaved ride bike and I also have a Trek road bike. So, I kept the total number of bikes the same, but left one dedicated to the trainer.

My only recommendation echos someone else's: you should adjust the seat height and fore/aft position of the seat to match the distance between the seat the bottom bracket, and the seat to stem distance of the bike you will ride outdoors. If you are riding drop bars outside, the bike on the trainer should have drop bars. Outside of that, the bike on the trainer could be a used bike from a bike store but if you can afford it, go for a new bike and put your old bike on the trainer!
Old 03-01-20, 08:07 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmunroe View Post
I have a wheels-on trainer that I use in the winter months with my bike (trek FX hybrid style, about ten years old ballpark). My teenage sons have also started using the trainer this winter. I would like to leave the trainer set up year round. This means either leaving the current bike on the trainer and replacing my bike, or getting a new bike just for the trainer.

any suggestions? I am contemplating getting a cheapo big box store bike for the trainer, but a new bike for me is also intriguing. Not a huge budget for a new bike for me (700-800) so just looking for some thoughts and suggestions.

thanks
You could use just one bike if the teenage sons are very close to your size, same leg lengths and all. If not then you can get a quick-release seat post clamp and if needed an adjustable stem. (they are made for bike fitters) This can work if you are close in size.

No need to spend $800 on a trainer bike. Buy a used 1990s vintage road bike. But do buy a "trainer tire" that is slick and long-wearing. A $200 budget is reasonable for a trainer bike from Craigslist. Put the money into a heart rate monitor and a used/junk iPhone/iPad to use as a display. and a good new saddle, new peddles, cleats and shoes. and two rolls of gell tape for a double layer tape job on the bars. And get a fan with a switch you can reach while on the bike. The bike itself can be a junker as long as th bottom bracket and wheel are good. and IT FITS YOU.
Old 03-08-20, 05:21 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
I bought a BD Motobecane Vent Noir when I first started cycling a few years ago. It has now become the "trainer bike" / "back up bike" . The bike fits well, which is the most important thing, in any bike. The nice thing about a dedicated trainer bike, is the set up time. Pump up the tire, plug in the trainer and tighten the roller "Kickr Snap", start program and go. I like the convenience, as it removes an excuse for not training.
Old 03-14-20, 05:57 PM
Beebomb

Bikes: Liv Thrive, Marin commuter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just have the training tire, but am thinking of getting a wheel just to be able to use it whenever. My husband is using my bike though so I worry about the different sizes.
Old 05-17-20, 05:06 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2003 Airborne Valykire w Ultegra 6800, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well a dedicated bike for a trainer wouldn't need to be anything light or fancy, generic frame with 105 or even Tiagra level components if you're buying new. other wise any decent frame that's the right size and then setup for your reach, saddle height etc. You aren't really going to care about shock absorption or handling, all you want to do is put power into the pedals.

Like many others here, I'm just going to use what I've already got and instead of reselling it just make it a permanent fixture.