Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Cable Guide: Vintage Steel w/ Campagnolo Ergos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-03-20, 10:52 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts

I searched around but couldn't find something with direct relevance. Hope I'm not rehashing an already abused topic.

Looking for advice on a BB cable guide for a 1990 Bianchi Giro. Italian BB shell. I'll be going with 8s Ergos, so needs to be index compatible (seems that the metallic ones are generally not recommended for indexing?). The frame has the diver's helmet style cable stop, on the bottom of the DS chainstay, if that matters for the rear cable routing angles.

The first one I ordered has a bigger radius curve than my BB shell. I saw some comments that people heated it up then shaped it, I'm fine trying that path, but doesn't seem ideal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one that came with the frame doesn't match the Campagnolo catalogs I have, it's a two part unit, a base, and a "cover" that goes over the cables as well. Plastic-y material, a bit worn, but probably servicable. I can re-use with a new bolt (old bolt was oddly tapered hex head, I have since tapped the BB hole to M5). It however did seem to work fine with the 8s Shimano 105 DT STI set that came on the bike (took it for a few test rides before tearing down). Of course I forgot to take a picture, but can do so if anyone's interested to see it.

The other options I see out there aren't clearly matching the catalogs either. I'll toss a couple catalog cuts down at the bottom of the post. Here are some of what I've found (the link above form what I already have is available many places, left to one link per distinct type, several are available from multiple sellers):
Campagnolo Gear-cable Guide 1134078 - $10.99
https://www.pinkjersey.com/product/c...acket-ai-00cd/

I'm not set on using a Campagnolo guide, but of course it's always nice to stay consistent. I may just re-use what I already had, with an M5 bolt. But if there's a better option, or newer option, I'm all ears (or is it eyes for a forum?). Anyone have advice or experience in a similar situation?

*My LBS of choice is great, but they don't do Campy or vintage anything, they're a Trek focused shop and all about brand new Shimano stuff. Couldn't even get 9s chainrings from them. I could hunt around town, but would rather spend my free time wrenching or riding, to be honest.

In need of guidance for cable guidance, in CO

Old 03-03-20, 01:36 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125
I searched around but couldn't find something with direct relevance. Hope I'm not rehashing an already abused topic.

Looking for advice on a BB cable guide for a 1990 Bianchi Giro. Italian BB shell. I'll be going with 8s Ergos, so needs to be index compatible (seems that the metallic ones are generally not recommended for indexing?). The frame has the diver's helmet style cable stop, on the bottom of the DS chainstay, if that matters for the rear cable routing angles.

The first one I ordered has a bigger radius curve than my BB shell. I saw some comments that people heated it up then shaped it, I'm fine trying that path, but doesn't seem ideal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one that came with the frame doesn't match the Campagnolo catalogs I have, it's a two part unit, a base, and a "cover" that goes over the cables as well. Plastic-y material, a bit worn, but probably servicable. I can re-use with a new bolt (old bolt was oddly tapered hex head, I have since tapped the BB hole to M5). It however did seem to work fine with the 8s Shimano 105 DT STI set that came on the bike (took it for a few test rides before tearing down). Of course I forgot to take a picture, but can do so if anyone's interested to see it.

The other options I see out there aren't clearly matching the catalogs either. I'll toss a couple catalog cuts down at the bottom of the post. Here are some of what I've found (the link above form what I already have is available many places, left to one link per distinct type, several are available from multiple sellers):
Campagnolo Gear-cable Guide 1134078 - $10.99
https://www.pinkjersey.com/product/c...acket-ai-00cd/

I'm not set on using a Campagnolo guide, but of course it's always nice to stay consistent. I may just re-use what I already had, with an M5 bolt. But if there's a better option, or newer option, I'm all ears (or is it eyes for a forum?). Anyone have advice or experience in a similar situation?

*My LBS of choice is great, but they don't do Campy or vintage anything, they're a Trek focused shop and all about brand new Shimano stuff. Couldn't even get 9s chainrings from them. I could hunt around town, but would rather spend my free time wrenching or riding, to be honest.

In need of guidance for cable guidance, in CO
I don't think it really matters to be honest. If you want to splurge a couple extra bucks to get a piece of plastic that says Campagnolo on it, it's a pretty cheap thrill. Any nylon guide is going to work about the same, as long as it fits your BB and lines up correctly.

i think the bolt on stainless guide is a dumb idea. Nylon is more slippery. Even that would work fine with enough grease though, but I'd be inclined to put some plastic lining over the cables where it passes through.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 03-04-20, 07:22 AM
mplsbiker

Bikes: 2014 Greg Lemond Washoe, 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 1991 Cannondale ST600, 2018 Salsa Beargrease, 1988 Peugeot Montreal Express, 2017 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I have a 8sp Campy Chorus setup and I am using a clamp on (above the BB shell) guide. When I tried a Shimano clamp on guide with the shorter FD cable guide it shifted noticeably worse. If you can't find what you need for the bottom of the shell clamp on guides can be had relatively easily.

Likes For mplsbiker: