Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

MEC National 2019-2020 VS Kona Sutra 2018

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 02:59 PM
walou_mag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

So i am planning my first touring trip this summer ( I plan to bike from Quebec city to Newfoundland for about 2 month). I have been looking at different bike and to be honest I am going crazy over all the info I found on the internet. Anyway for now I am hesitating between to bike.

The first is the MEC National, at 1279.59$ CAN: mec.ca national

The second is the kona sutra 2018, 1614,99 CAN : sorry I cannot post link since I am new..

So The main reason I am hesitating is the price difference between the tow model. I am wondering if there is a great difference between the 2 model. I was thinking on changing the wheels and the tires on the mec national and maybe the handle bar for something wider. I know that the MEC national cannot fit tires bigger than 700x38c . I am not sure if it is a problem. Anyway what do you guys think ? is the price difference between the 2 model is worth it ? should I just buy the national and make a couple of modification ?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-11-20, 03:09 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
salut mr walou
As a Canadian, I am familiar with the MEC bike as well as the Sutra.
The National is a great bike, and here is a question--why do you think you want to change the wheelset?
And what wider handlebars? And are the handlebars on the Sutra any different?
Flared out bars are going to be probably $75 or so (models from Salsa for example) and changing tires is a common thing to do no matter the bike.
How wide can the Sutra go for tires?
You can write some things in French if its easier or to be more clear, although others won't be able to understand.
Old 03-11-20, 11:11 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
For the price, the National looks like a great bargain.
38c is pretty wide for a touring tire, unless you intend to do off-road.The price difference would be padded for the rack, fenders, handlebars and tires.
Of course, the biggest factor is comfort. Sit on it, ride it and see if it's a good fit for you.
Other than the comfort test, it seems like you're leaning towards the Kona. My experience has been: Buy the one you really want, even at a higher expense or you will be second guessing your bike for a long time
Old 03-12-20, 08:19 AM
walou_mag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
salut mr walou
As a Canadian, I am familiar with the MEC bike as well as the Sutra.
The National is a great bike, and here is a question--why do you think you want to change the wheelset?
And what wider handlebars? And are the handlebars on the Sutra any different?
Flared out bars are going to be probably $75 or so (models from Salsa for example) and changing tires is a common thing to do no matter the bike.
How wide can the Sutra go for tires?
You can write some things in French if its easier or to be more clear, although others won't be able to understand.
HI,
Well to be honnest I was considering doing a bit off road whit the bike so I wanted to have that option. For the handlebars I have been told that larger one a easier to operate when the road is bad. I am still hesitating, I also have been speaking whit a local bike shop that can build onecostum for me but then I would not be able to test drive it ...
Old 03-12-20, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
As I noted in response to his similar/same post on ACA's forum, the price difference is $377. If you factor in the value of the rack and fenders the Kona comes with, the price difference drops. That is also ignoring the fact that he could get money for the Brooks if that's not his type of saddle. A new, quality wheelset and new bars for $377?

IMO, this is a no-brainer price-wise.
Old 03-12-20, 10:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
As I noted in response to his similar/same post on ACA's forum, the price difference is $377. If you factor in the value of the rack and fenders the Kona comes with, the price difference drops. That is also ignoring the fact that he could get money for the Brooks if that's not his type of saddle. A new, quality wheelset and new bars for $377?

IMO, this is a no-brainer price-wise.
absolutely right indy.
A rack like that will be easily 75, fenders are at least 60, and a b17 sells for about 150+ here, and these are conservative low numbers.

Mr Quebec city, how wide tires can the sutra take?
wider possibilities is always better in my opinion, given your interest in riding off road.

my salsa cowbells were about 75 at La Cordee, the wider models are at least 100, 125+
Old 03-12-20, 01:44 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Can you get the size that best fits your body in the 2018 bike? Generally with previous year 'clearout' sales, the selection of sizes might be limited and this the most important aspect of selecting a bike. MEC should have different sizes of their bikes available, but I don't know how competent their staff is at helping people select a size. I have no reason to suspect they are bad at it, but bikes have not been in their primary business line for all that long.
Old 03-12-20, 03:02 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I have an MEC Provincial 233 and have a couple friends with MEC bikes. They are always great value and you tend to get a fairly high level of components for price. Every one of their stores that I have been to have full bike fitting capabilities. They also have their "rock solid" guarantee so if you find the product does not fit your requirements you can return it. Even bikes,although they don't like too. If the frame ever breaks from normal use it is covered by the warranty. I have also found their service quite good. No, I don't work for MEC. I have talked to a couple people who own the MEC National and they are full of praise. It is often referred to as a Surly Long Haul Trucker copy. It is not a responsive race bike but a comfortable, stable long distance hauler. Test ride it and if you like it, buy it.

However, Kona makes good bikes and if it fits you better and you prefer its ride, then go for it. Unless you find it on sale I don't think it is a better buy.
Likes For bikeaddiction1: