Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need a stout crank for this Clydesdale

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 02:16 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts

I don't have 30" track sprinter thighs but I weigh around 220 and 6'2" and when I leaned on the crank out of the saddle going up a steep hill I bent my crank. It's bent just enough to make the chain run tight and slack during rotation. It's not enough to "have to replace" the crank but it is annoying.

Can anyone recommend a spindle/bottom bracket and crank set up that is tough and can take a large rider?

-

Last edited by drlogik; 03-23-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 04:10 PM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
What crank are you running right now? I'm currently running an Andel Deluxe crankset which is hollowtech II and it hasn't complained one bit with my 214 lb. fat ass on it.
Old 03-23-20, 06:38 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
tight loose chain on rotation is normal, what janky crank did you manage to bend pedaling.
Old 03-23-20, 08:53 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Would also be interested to know what you have. I know people well over 300 who haven't bent basic shimano square taper cranks and I'm heavier then you and haven't managed to bend a crank even with 12" and 18" drop offs or cranking up hills. You may have bent the spindle if its a square taper though I've only seen that happen a couple times with cheaper ones. Could also just be non-round rings which is quite common.
Old 03-23-20, 10:16 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I weigh around 220 and 6'2" and when I leaned on the crank out of the saddle going up a steep hill I bent my crank.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 03-24-20, 10:47 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Bending a crank arm would do nothing to alter the tension of the chain. For that to happen, the spindle would have to have been bent, or the cups deformed somehow. I'm not convinced this is possible, and to be honest, 220 lbs. isn't all that heavy if you ask me.
Old 03-26-20, 09:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
I don't believe the story but will play the home game because I am also a bigger rider. I really like my Sugino 75 Direct Drive cranks, they look real nice but more importantly they are a two piece crank so you have a potentially stronger spindle vs. square taper cranks. Plus with the external BB you have the potential for larger bearings.

There are other cranks out there that do the "hollowtech II" style which maybe are cheaper but having always wanted Sugino 75s I went with those. I did go for a Wheels Manufacturing Angular Contact BB just because I like their BBs and have ridden them on other bikes and they are MUSA which is cool. However the stock one that comes with it is just fine.