Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Out in the sun: John Perks 531

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 09:30 AM
avecReynolds531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 43 Posts

After many happy years with road bikes, I starting looking for a 531 lugged frame, preferably from the Birmingham area in UK (home of Reynolds tubing), and was delighted to find this:

a John Perks (early 80s?) - 531db frame & forks, Prugnat S4 lugs, Vagner DP fork crown, and fluted seat stay top eyes. The seatpost is 27.2mm, fork rake at 2.5 inches, dropouts are Gipiemme and the bottom bracket is stamped M 13.

I would love to know who the frame builder was: from the little I managed to find out, this was most likely built by Knight Cycles of Wolverhampton, or one of the Dawes framebuilders at that time. It is too early to have been an Autostrada or Andy Perks built frame.

When I got it, there was sadly a lot of rust competing with the faded ruby red paint. Shotblasting and a new finish was felt to be the best option.

Most of the original equipment has been kept: Weinmann centrepulls (stamped 7.83), excellent Suntour gearing comprising of Power levers, Cyclone II front derailleur and an ARX long cage rear derailleur. The 5 speed Perfect freewheel is 14 to a dinner plate 34.

I like the Sakae 36/50 double chainset very much.

The wheels are 27" 36 spoked heavy Weinmanns rims with Malliard hubs that are stamped 82. I reckon the frame deserves, and would be transformed with, a light wheelset.

The Selle Italia Anatomic saddle, mudguards and Lyotard pedals needed replacing: the full story of being stuck between keeping it as is, or as was my first & only idea, spring the frame out to 130mm for Campagnolo 10 speed gearing & light 700c wheels, is described on another forum.

I'd be most grateful please, if anyone here at Bike Forums can share knowledge of the Knight Cycles frame builders: Les Holland, Jim Gittins and Mick Hessen have been mentioned, or Dawes frame builders of the late 70s & early 80s.

Any further info, comments and insights on the frame, or more generally, framebuilding in Birmingham & the Black Country at that time, would also be much appreciated.

In any case, it rides beautifully and...

is a joy. As a novice to vintage bikes, that's all I could ask for from this lovely 531 frame.
Likes For avecReynolds531:
Old 03-26-20, 09:38 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I dig that blue. Nice ride!
Old 03-26-20, 09:54 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Beautiful! There is something about the look of center pull brakes that speaks to me. Love it.

I have no knowledge of Knight Cycles, and very little of Dawes, but I am sure someone here does.
Old 03-26-20, 04:27 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
I dig that blue. Nice ride!
Me too.

Can the original poster tell us what paint it is - brand and colour name?

And if he is ever so lucky as to find himself beside an 80-ish Raleigh in Lagoon Blue, could he take a pic of the two colours close together?
Old 03-26-20, 04:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Beautiful bike.
Old 03-26-20, 07:06 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
And maybe a link to this other forum and post so you don't repeat yourself. Got any before pics? 531 + lugs is hard to beat. You have a beauty.
Old 03-27-20, 02:55 AM
avecReynolds531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 43 Posts
Thanks for the replies and taking time to contribute - much appreciated. I'll apologise in advance for the amount of links in this post and UK spelling.

A photo of the original paint and down tube decal is attached. The top tube was painfully rusted and the paint blistered - I didn't want to take a picture of it at the time.

The story of the blue paint started with nostalgic memories of the colour used by Saviem and Renault: https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5606...3c7940ac_b.jpg

If I recall correctly, I did include the Saviem photo alongside the idea of "...maybe somewhere between RAL chart numbers 5012 and 5015." https://www.ralcolor.com/

In spite of this mangled, vague instruction, Autostrada carried out the work, and I was very happy with the outcome. Unfortunately, I have no idea how they got to the colour they did!

There's a link here to an Autostrada renovation of a nice Geoffrey Butler frame: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/190968/ It is also right to mention that MIke Kowal was a renowned frame builder in the UK - as quoted by Hilary Stone in LFGSS (July 5th, 2010): 'Mike Kowal is one of the lesser known builders but this early example of his work shows just how good a builder he was - it is really quite superb...'

I'll look out for the lagoon blue Raleighs and a comparison photo.

Finally, the link to the original UK forum post regarding Campagnolo ergolevers working well with Weinmann centre pull brakes (I do love the look of centre pulls too), and a C & V novice's plentiful indecision & lack of knowledge! Out in the sun: John Perks 531 | Retrobike

Likes For avecReynolds531: