Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

loose fit jersey

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 05:48 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out in tshirts and it was miserable! Then i found 2 jerseys at the goodwill ( size medium when i really need a large, maybe XL) and i dont care, i squeeze my big butt into them because they are so much better than a regular T!

I probably look like a stuffed sausage but Im not there for a fashion show.
Old 09-09-16, 06:18 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Blood pressure had always been borderline high at 149/95. Because of cycling, it's 122/78. Triglycerides were what I thought was extremely high, at least until others at work had told me theirs, at 475. Now, my triglyceride count is 189. Cholesterol was around 250. Now it is 186. Blood glucose was around 218 I think. Now it is close to 100. All of this is from cycling because I still eat horribly, which is why the weight has stayed at 220 for the past 2 years.

I personally do not thing the blood numbers has anything to do with eating at all. It is naturally what it is going to be unless you exercise. I have 1 guy at work with perfect numbers who sits and eats 2 bacon and sausage sandwiches every day for breakfast at 290 lb while another coworker who is 160 lb and micromanages everything he eats eating nothing but pure low cholesterol stuff like salads, tuna fish, and lean chicken breast and spends 4 hours a day in the gym who's cholesterol is through the roof.
All I know is that I just had a checkup and blood work done, and all my numbers are very good. I doubt they would be that good if I wasn't cycling regularly and eating healthier than I was a year ago, and before I lost some weight. But it is true that some people eat nothing but healthy food and still have problems with high cholesterol.
Old 09-13-16, 06:10 PM
amchef

Bikes: Felt Z3, Rocky Mountain Vertex 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for AeroTech. And Pearl's Select (?) line offers a bit more room.

But, really, the best advice is f*ck it. I'm a bit over 6', have it down under 270 for the first time in eons, but since I got back into riding a while back I was instantly comfortable in lycra. No one gives a rip, and you will be surprised by how many riders out there are SuperClydes, and they don't give a rip, either. Tight is comfy and efficient! Wear black.
Old 09-13-16, 09:45 PM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave up on bike jerseys a long time ago, too short, I normally wear XLT. My solution when it's nice is basketball jerseys. They come long to start with and keep one nice and cool. In cooler weather I go for the under armor type stuff.
Old 09-14-16, 06:57 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
I gave up on bike jerseys a long time ago, too short, I normally wear XLT. My solution when it's nice is basketball jerseys. They come long to start with and keep one nice and cool. In cooler weather I go for the under armor type stuff.
They do make XLT bike jerseys. I bought one once, but it turned out to hang below my arse it was so long.

Shortness of bike jerseys essentially becomes a non-issue if you wear bibs, which I do.
Old 09-14-16, 07:23 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine are all too tight and too short. for 8 years I pushed them pedals as hard as I could, I get into smaller pants, but still need larger Jerseys.
Old 09-14-16, 08:20 AM
jorglueke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_lha
They do make XLT bike jerseys. I bought one once, but it turned out to hang below my arse it was so long.

Shortness of bike jerseys essentially becomes a non-issue if you wear bibs, which I do.
I'm sure they do, the other advantage of the basketball jersey is that you can wear it off your bike without looking too silly
Old 09-14-16, 08:22 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

I'm sure they do, the other advantage of the basketball jersey is that you can wear it off your bike without looking too silly
That's not to my fashion taste, I'll admit, sleeveless isn't really my thing, nor basketball. I don't buy cycling clothes to wear off the bike anyway, so how they'd look in social settings isn't really an issue.
Old 09-15-16, 06:36 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
You sure about that? Maybe it is just me, but I do get off my bike and go into coffee shops, stores and restaurants wearing my cycling kit, but I would never wear a basketball jersey in public. As others have said, I do not wear cycling gear except when cycling.
Old 09-15-16, 09:10 AM
jorglueke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
You sure about that? Maybe it is just me, but I do get off my bike and go into coffee shops, stores and restaurants wearing my cycling kit, but I would never wear a basketball jersey in public. As others have said, I do not wear cycling gear except when cycling.
It's very much a personal felling I'm sure. I'm very tall and so things are always short on me which I don't like. Cycling jerseys tend to be shorter than similar t-shirts so I just grew a distaste. Basketball jerseys fit and I can look them part

Biking shorts are much more critical
Old 05-01-17, 05:21 PM
Sonoma_Mike

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Resurrecting an old post with kudos to Aerotech Designs. I just ordered and received my first jersey and shorts. The Aero Tech Big Mans Coolmax Colossal Loose Fit Cycling Jersey was just the ticket for me! Follow their sizing charts and you will be fine. Both the jersey and shorts performed perfectly. Big thumbs up from me.
Old 05-03-17, 07:35 PM
cdnguy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Quoted for truth.

Find an REI or Performance bike so you can try them on in person. Look for "club cut" as opposed to race fit. You could also wear a compression shirt underneath the jersey - that tends to smooth out the lumps. I like the underarmor heat gear and wear the same size as my t-shirt (XL)
Do you get under armour compression shirt the same size as your t-shirt or the jersey?...or both?
Old 05-04-17, 12:20 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnguy
Do you get under armour compression shirt the same size as your t-shirt or the jersey?...or both?
Depending on the jersey but most of my jerseys are 2X and all of my t-shirts are XL, so I wear XL base layers too.
Old 05-04-17, 03:31 AM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nashbar has some nashbar brand ones, up to a 52-54 (3XL)
Old 05-04-17, 08:04 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage
How about Canari brand. Long time ago I ordered several from an outfit called Sierra Trading Post. They were very inexpensive and decent quality. If you look at the models in the pics at that site you can see that they fit looser.

These days i order bike wear through Voler and get the "club cut" sizing. I'm 6' and 200 lbs and a large club cut jersey fits good .... Not too snug and not flapping in the wind.
+1 for Voler, good quality, comfortable, performs well and reasonably priced.
Old 05-04-17, 10:59 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes1
+1 for Voler, good quality, comfortable, performs well and reasonably priced.
Voler is good quality, but I wouldn't say the cut is especially generous for bigger guys.
Old 05-04-17, 02:10 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by MRT2
Voler is good quality, but I wouldn't say the cut is especially generous for bigger guys.
My XXL Voler shirt is great quality, but skin tight on me compared to my Pearl Izumi XXLs.
Old 05-04-17, 04:30 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thankfully you are on the "smaller size" of us big guys... the real problem with cycling clothes are that there are several "fits"... the race fit is super tight, you've got a club fit and then some other fit... so an xl isn't always an xl in real world fit... you have to look at what size chest the size fits to... and even then some will fit different than others...

I have a 3xl cannondale jersey that I picked up on nashbar on for cheap that fits fairly well... but thanks to someone on here in the pay it forward thread I picked up a full zip aerotech... based on that one I'll pick up another at some point... I've tried their bibs and they are real high quality, sadly they didn't fit correctly (most companies chamios rear seams hit me at my sit bones) I spent more than I ever wanted at Home Page - Bouré Bicycle Clothing but they fit me well and are comfy (classic bibs @ 105$) for 135$ they'll do custom shorts, I talked with them before I ordered with my fit issues (i'd tried 4 or so other brands)... we decided to try off the shelf and then we could/would go from there as needed and I'd return these... thankfully that didn't work and when I have money to spare I'll pick up another pair... hopefully in a size smaller...
Old 05-04-17, 05:47 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Ahh, the eternal struggle. I used to go for very loose fitting clothing, but seeing myself in photos, I think having clothing fit a bit closer actually looks better. I think in terms of camouflaging moobs and gut, the same principle that applies for regular shirts applies to cycling jerseys. Certain colors (e.g. gray, green) and certain fabrics/fits/brands (thin Canari from the sporting goods store) tend to emphasize the unsightly parts while other colors (e.g., black) and fabrics/fits/brands may not. I have had good luck lately with an Endura brand jersey and just today found a Pearl Izumi XXL Select Series Quest long sleeve jersey in black. I really didn't want to try it on, in the shiny happy bike shop, but I did and found it fit better than expected. I want to like Aerotech's stuff, but the primary colors just don't do it for me.

As others have said wearing a smaller size t-shirt or cycling jersey underneath does help as well.
Old 05-04-17, 10:45 PM
saskskier

Bikes: Eddy Merckx EMX-3, Santa Cruz Nomad, Volume Cutter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'4 and roughly 280 and I've found some Pearly Izumi and Sugoi (particularly the RPM jersey) fit pretty well in XXL. Nothing is particularly flattering at this size, but I've found those a bit more tolerable (especially in dark colours. When given a choice, black every time. Ha ha)
Old 05-09-17, 10:23 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Buy 2 Polo shirts of different color.
Select one for the top and bottom color
Cut it straight across below where the sleeves attach
Cut the other shirt in the same place and once once more 7 or 8 inches below the first cut to produce a shirt cylinder.
Sew the pieces together with a serger or a zigzag stich,
Use the rest of the cut up shirt fora back (and front) pocket.

You end up with a retro 50s/60s style jersey.
Old 05-10-17, 12:39 AM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to see some options that are more athletic cut. For us guys that are broad chested and big shoulders but not a huge gut. I'm not slim and trim by any stretch...but seems that anything that is big enough to fit me up top is like a parachute at the waist. Sleeves are an issue as well...with 18" biceps...sleeves tend to be on the circulation restricting side.

Last edited by NoGears; 05-10-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 01:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have 2 wicking poly 'Polo' type Shirts.. 1 Black 1 "natural" , as if polyester has a natural color..
Old 05-10-17, 01:24 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Reef
Performance's store brand cheaper jerseys are rather baggy and cheap.
I have found performance jerseys to be fitted and long lasting.