Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2015 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2015 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Old 10-17-15, 12:13 PM
  #2351  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 30,977

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carcosa View Post


Been a while since I posted this thing. Slowly upgrading parts.
So Nice...
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 10-17-15, 12:14 PM
  #2352  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 30,977

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Oh man, that performance bike forte road fork really hurts the look of the bike and quite possibly its weight.

So So Nice...
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 10-17-15, 12:52 PM
  #2353  
miyatalover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my defense, it came with the fork. The original does look much better.
miyatalover is offline  
Old 10-17-15, 03:10 PM
  #2354  
Buffer
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58CM Kilo WT, Cinelli Pepper Bars on a slammed Ant stem. Small Monolevers, half link slammed the back wheel up, makes hopping up curbs easy. Cheap odyssey plastic pedals been doing me right so far.







Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (100.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (89.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (88.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg
4.jpg (98.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
5.jpg (88.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Buffer; 10-17-15 at 03:31 PM.
Buffer is offline  
Old 10-17-15, 06:17 PM
  #2355  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,679

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Leader or Aventon:

__________________
¿pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Old 10-18-15, 11:58 AM
  #2356  
Regulatori
Senior Member
 
Regulatori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Bianchi Pista...just waiting for my goldilocks Nitto seat tube. Recently converted to threaded stem/lugged fork.

Regulatori is offline  
Old 10-18-15, 01:50 PM
  #2357  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffer View Post
58CM Kilo WT, Cinelli Pepper Bars on a slammed Ant stem. Small Monolevers, half link slammed the back wheel up, makes hopping up curbs easy. Cheap odyssey plastic pedals been doing me right so far.








Only a a few of us rocking the MTB bars and stems. Enjoy your ride, I really enjoy mine.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 10-18-15, 01:56 PM
  #2358  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Oh man, that performance bike forte road fork really hurts the look of the bike and quite possibly its weight.

This is why I ride a track bike. Love this!!
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 10-18-15, 03:04 PM
  #2359  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,784

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6822 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori View Post
My Bianchi Pista...just waiting for my goldilocks Nitto seat tube. Recently converted to threaded stem/lugged fork.
What fork did you use?

Looks like it has more rake than the stock fork. Can you feel a difference in how it handles?
TimothyH is offline  
Old 10-18-15, 06:17 PM
  #2360  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,682

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
My little guy's new sled.


It's the coolest balance bike I've ever seen. I don't know how they make the frame. The main tube is split and becomes a "Y" and there's apparent welds on the inside of the chainstays.
50voltphantom is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 01:30 AM
  #2361  
Andersper
Senior Member
 
Andersper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 148

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fatbikes keep getting weirder.
Andersper is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 08:09 AM
  #2362  
ceelint
^that guy^
 
ceelint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 452

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '86 Bianchi Vittoria, '92 C'dale R900 , '17 Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
From yesterdays ride.. Carbing up while we escaped some heavier downpour

ceelint is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 10:17 AM
  #2363  
garlic_rice
Senior Member
 
garlic_rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 378

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had fun christening the new whip this weekend.


Arawak Cycles is a dude named Dave in NYC (the name is a nod to his Taíno heritage). Studied at UBI with Tony Pereira and while this isn't his first frame, it's his first production frame that isn't for himself. Tubing is a mix of True Temper S3 and Columbus Life, with Spirit chainstays.



The frame was ready this summer, but the waitlist for paint (handled by Ben Falcon @ Horse) meant I spent the summer bonding with my loaner, an '87 Trek 2500 with full DA7400.

Components were a mix of parts bin (Fairdale seatpost clamp, Sugino AS cranks), impulse eBay purchases (DA seatpost), and parts set aside for since-abandoned projects (CK headset, Thomson stem). I may switch out the stem for a silver and slightly longer one and replace the aging Vredesteins with some 25mm gumwalls in the near future, but I'm beyond stoked on how it's set up at the moment and am having way more fun just riding it than agonizing over parts.

I'm not sure why I agreed to a track bike when i haven't ridden fixed in years. This past summer I taught my teenage nephew how to ride fixed (his request) by spending a morning at an empty Kissena velodrome, which brought back a bunch of feels. After Saturday's shakedown ride, I'm in love with bikes again and can't wait to plan my next build, most likely a daily geared crossmuter.

Last edited by garlic_rice; 10-19-15 at 11:59 AM. Reason: accidentally some words
garlic_rice is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 07:45 PM
  #2364  
thedapperest
Senior Member
 
thedapperest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 493

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garlic_rice View Post
Had fun christening the new whip this weekend.


Arawak Cycles is a dude named Dave in NYC (the name is a nod to his Taíno heritage). Studied at UBI with Tony Pereira and while this isn't his first frame, it's his first production frame that isn't for himself. Tubing is a mix of True Temper S3 and Columbus Life, with Spirit chainstays.



The frame was ready this summer, but the waitlist for paint (handled by Ben Falcon @ Horse) meant I spent the summer bonding with my loaner, an '87 Trek 2500 with full DA7400.

Components were a mix of parts bin (Fairdale seatpost clamp, Sugino AS cranks), impulse eBay purchases (DA seatpost), and parts set aside for since-abandoned projects (CK headset, Thomson stem). I may switch out the stem for a silver and slightly longer one and replace the aging Vredesteins with some 25mm gumwalls in the near future, but I'm beyond stoked on how it's set up at the moment and am having way more fun just riding it than agonizing over parts.

I'm not sure why I agreed to a track bike when i haven't ridden fixed in years. This past summer I taught my teenage nephew how to ride fixed (his request) by spending a morning at an empty Kissena velodrome, which brought back a bunch of feels. After Saturday's shakedown ride, I'm in love with bikes again and can't wait to plan my next build, most likely a daily geared crossmuter.
Holy moly
thedapperest is offline  
Old 10-20-15, 03:36 PM
  #2365  
thermalattorney
Bike Nerd
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 238

Bikes: '04 Cannondale Track, Custom Steel Disc Road Di2, Rock Lobster CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garlic_rice View Post
Had fun christening the new whip this weekend.


Arawak Cycles is a dude named Dave in NYC (the name is a nod to his Taíno heritage). Studied at UBI with Tony Pereira and while this isn't his first frame, it's his first production frame that isn't for himself. Tubing is a mix of True Temper S3 and Columbus Life, with Spirit chainstays.

The frame was ready this summer, but the waitlist for paint (handled by Ben Falcon @ Horse) meant I spent the summer bonding with my loaner, an '87 Trek 2500 with full DA7400.
Great looking ride! I've got a similar mutt of a frame waiting to be painted by Thomas at Horse and hope it turns out half as well as yours.
thermalattorney is offline  
Old 10-21-15, 02:48 AM
  #2366  
oneepicmoose
i like teddy bears
 
oneepicmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori View Post
My Bianchi Pista...just waiting for my goldilocks Nitto seat tube. Recently converted to threaded stem/lugged fork.

11/10 would ride
oneepicmoose is offline  
Old 10-21-15, 02:04 PM
  #2367  
johnnytheboy
Senior Member
 
johnnytheboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BANNED.
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

picked this up today for suuuuuper cheap. it's a funky build- chub hub, chris king, blunt rims, groovy luv bar, race face etc....
but I love it!!
johnnytheboy is offline  
Old 10-21-15, 02:35 PM
  #2368  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,682

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori View Post
My Bianchi Pista...just waiting for my goldilocks Nitto seat tube. Recently converted to threaded stem/lugged fork.

A single BCD chainring would dress up this bike significantly. Nice ride.
50voltphantom is offline  
Old 10-21-15, 07:42 PM
  #2369  
Regulatori
Senior Member
 
Regulatori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
A single BCD chainring would dress up this bike significantly. Nice ride.
Thanks.
My bottom bracket is original and it's been making some popping/clicking noises. Gives me an excuse to replace the whole crankset and switch over to a 144 BCD setup.

Haven't figured out if I want to go silver or black on the crankset/chainring. I would love to go Sugino 75 with a Zen chainring but again, not sure about the color combo yet (black cranks/black ring, silver cranks/silver ring, silver cranks/black ring, etc. etc..)
Regulatori is offline  
Old 10-21-15, 07:47 PM
  #2370  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,147

Bikes: 29 frames + 72 wheels

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is my current setup on my Wabi Lightning. Silver Sugino 75 with black Blackspire, which is solid like Zen. IMO it looks very nice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP2101.jpg (102.0 KB, 68 views)
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 10-21-15, 09:26 PM
  #2371  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,682

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori View Post
Thanks.
My bottom bracket is original and it's been making some popping/clicking noises. Gives me an excuse to replace the whole crankset and switch over to a 144 BCD setup.

Haven't figured out if I want to go silver or black on the crankset/chainring. I would love to go Sugino 75 with a Zen chainring but again, not sure about the color combo yet (black cranks/black ring, silver cranks/silver ring, silver cranks/black ring, etc. etc..)
Black+black
50voltphantom is offline  
Old 10-22-15, 02:55 AM
  #2372  
hiAlabama
Newbie
 
hiAlabama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kazan, Russia
Posts: 3

Bikes: Ridley Oval fixed bike (coming Benotto road bike, Sarma fatbike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi2all
here's my Ridley Oval
black spider edition :E








Last edited by hiAlabama; 10-22-15 at 03:07 AM.
hiAlabama is offline  
Old 10-22-15, 04:02 AM
  #2373  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,723

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 85 Posts
Oчень красибый велосипед!

Last edited by seau grateau; 10-22-15 at 04:10 AM.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 10-22-15, 04:13 AM
  #2374  
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,254

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
Oчень красибый велосипед!
+1
rex615 is offline  
Old 10-22-15, 07:10 AM
  #2375  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good photos @hiAlabama

updates to bikepacking rig

Mumonkan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.