Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Domane SLR opinions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Domane SLR opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 10:08 AM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't speak to the idea of stiffness or compliance, but I used to have the Aeolus 5s (50mm "deep") and had a lot of issues with crosswinds (also in the upper 190# range like you). Switching to the Aeolus 3s (30mm "deep") I haven't seen nearly as many problems with crosswind.
Old 06-21-17, 10:24 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius
I can't speak to the idea of stiffness or compliance, but I used to have the Aeolus 5s (50mm "deep") and had a lot of issues with crosswinds (also in the upper 190# range like you). Switching to the Aeolus 3s (30mm "deep") I haven't seen nearly as many problems with crosswind.
That surprises me. I ride my Aeolus 5's on my Domane regularly in 20mph and more Lake Michigan crosswinds and have been VERY impressed by the stability and the lack of being pushed around and I am a bit lighter than you. They are noticeably more stable than my pre Firecrest Zipp 404's were.....
Old 06-21-17, 12:10 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Gary, first things first, the new Domane is absolutely beautiful!

I also ride my November Rail's (52mm) in some crazy breezes and find the shape to be just fine in the wind.

I remember you having another Trek Project One prior to the new Domane, what happened to that one?
Old 06-21-17, 07:40 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Gary, first things first, the new Domane is absolutely beautiful!

I also ride my November Rail's (52mm) in some crazy breezes and find the shape to be just fine in the wind.

I remember you having another Trek Project One prior to the new Domane, what happened to that one?
Thanks Robby. I have never had a Project One but maybe one of these days. The new Madone keeps yelling my name. My previous bike was a Emonda SLR8. It was a great bike but just wanted to try something different this year. To be honest I am not sure which bike I prefer more and that says alot about the Emonda as the Domane is pretty brilliant.
Old 06-22-17, 08:46 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Thanks Robby. I have never had a Project One but maybe one of these days. The new Madone keeps yelling my name. My previous bike was a Emonda SLR8. It was a great bike but just wanted to try something different this year. To be honest I am not sure which bike I prefer more and that says alot about the Emonda as the Domane is pretty brilliant.
Ah gotcha.

I've been incredibly happy with my 1st gen Domane, I can only imagine that the new versions are even better. Similarly though I had a great 30 mile demo ride on an Emonda SLR and really enjoyed it.

Love the new bike, next up you'll need to go DI2! Ride safe
Old 06-25-17, 07:36 AM
sooni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Could light touring be done with this bike? Would a 20-30lbs seatbag (apidura) have a negative effect on the ride quality due to movement with the rear iso speed decoupler?

Can't get any answers from Trek.
Old 06-25-17, 01:21 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sooni
Could light touring be done with this bike? Would a 20-30lbs seatbag (apidura) have a negative effect on the ride quality due to movement with the rear iso speed decoupler?

Can't get any answers from Trek.
Absolutely great for a tourer. Isospeed on the SLR can be tuned not only for rider weight but payload. As you load it up, you bring the isospeed adjustment slider upward, thereby reducing the flexure of the seat post. Even comes with fittings for fenders.
Old 06-25-17, 04:35 PM
sooni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Absolutely great for a tourer. Isospeed on the SLR can be tuned not only for rider weight but payload. As you load it up, you bring the isospeed adjustment slider upward, thereby reducing the flexure of the seat post. Even comes with fittings for fenders.
I see that option with the SLR only. I wonder if it would be an issue for the SL, with no option to adjust... On the other hand, this might be justification for buying the SLR!
Old 06-25-17, 09:55 PM
Red7

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I am running ENVE SES 4.5 AR wheels that only accept tubeless ready tires. However, I am running my tires with inner tubes in them for convenience. I run a 28c Schwalbe Pro One tire (which is 31.7mm wide when installed). I run them at around 60psi and have not had a single flat, therefore I do not have any urgency about going tubeless. I really like the compliance, handling, and traction of this wheel tire combo. I ride them on rural roads which can be very poor condition, but rarely gravel.

Bike came with 32c Bontragers...the 28c Pro Ones are about the same width. My stock rims are outfitted with 28c Conti GP4000s...these offer as much comfort as I am looking for on road surfaces...I personally wouldn't go 32c unless I was on gravel...28C is wonderful.
One more quick question for you. I'm about to order some 28mm wide Carbon wheels and I can get them in 38mm, 45mm or 58mm deep. I believe your Enve are 49mm front and 55mm rear depth. Are you happy with that depth rims or do you ever wish they were shallower? I'm trying to decide between a couple options: 38mm front/45mm rear, 45mm front and back or 45mm front/58mm back. I plan to run the same Schwalbe Pro One 28c as you and I may likely run them tubeless. The weight difference is minimal. Where I ride the winds are usually calm unless a front is moving through and I split my time between Brevard, NC (hilly) and Clearwater Beach, FL (flat). Thanks!
Old 06-26-17, 03:37 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Red7
One more quick question for you. I'm about to order some 28mm wide Carbon wheels and I can get them in 38mm, 45mm or 58mm deep. I believe your Enve are 49mm front and 55mm rear depth. Are you happy with that depth rims or do you ever wish they were shallower? I'm trying to decide between a couple options: 38mm front/45mm rear, 45mm front and back or 45mm front/58mm back. I plan to run the same Schwalbe Pro One 28c as you and I may likely run them tubeless. The weight difference is minimal. Where I ride the winds are usually calm unless a front is moving through and I split my time between Brevard, NC (hilly) and Clearwater Beach, FL (flat). Thanks!
I've not once lamented the depth of the Enves. They have been good to me in all wind conditions. Note so much of wind performance is due to airfoil shape and not simply depth. All things being equal, less depth will be more insensitive to wind. It's not likely that another manufacturer will have the same airfoil shape and wind performance, so factor that into your decision.