Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Fly 6 stopping

Old 05-01-18, 10:58 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Fly 6 stopping

Hi all, it's been a while, but I'm back to the commute and I'm having a tech issue. I had an original Fly 6, and it just would randomly stop recording. Being as this was an original model, I figured maybe the tip over sensor was bad, or something similar, so I went out and bought a newer generation one, the 2nd gen actually, used but it seemed fine. Well after two rides, it appears it's started doing the same thing, one time it will get my whole ride, and another time it will just stop recording part way though the ride. I'm not sure what this could be, I've updated the firmware. I'm just fishing to see if anyone is familiar with these and has had anything similar happen. Thanks in advance!

Joe
Old 05-02-18, 08:32 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Tech support at Cycliq is very good.
Old 05-02-18, 10:20 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed that Cycliq's tech support is great, I'd reach out to them.

That being said, some things to look for is to make sure you don't have locked files on the SD card. If it gets to a point where it fills up and can't overwrite the files, that's definitely going to cause problems. If you have the new Fly6 CE you can have it reformat the SD card from the App. If you have the older v2 you can tell it to re-format the SD card in the config file. I ran into a similar issue with my v2 and having the device reformat the SD card instead of doing it myself on my computer resolved the issue.
Old 05-02-18, 11:23 AM
josephjhaney

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty
Agreed that Cycliq's tech support is great, I'd reach out to them.

That being said, some things to look for is to make sure you don't have locked files on the SD card. If it gets to a point where it fills up and can't overwrite the files, that's definitely going to cause problems. If you have the new Fly6 CE you can have it reformat the SD card from the App. If you have the older v2 you can tell it to re-format the SD card in the config file. I ran into a similar issue with my v2 and having the device reformat the SD card instead of doing it myself on my computer resolved the issue.

Ok, just tried that, I'll see how it does over the rest of the week. Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-03-18, 12:07 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
On any camera, dashcam, whatever, that's set on loop recording, I think it's a good idea to format the card periodically.
Old 05-17-18, 07:20 AM
josephjhaney

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Update, I'm pretty sure it's the battery. I take the device off charge, it gives 4 beeps, indicating full charge when I turn it on, I start the recording, and now it's only getting two clips, less than 20 mins total record time, every time. I contacted cyclq for support, we will see what they say, I'd love to get a slight discount on their fancy new Fly6 CE model, that would make me a very happy biker! I'll update here when I know more.

Joe
Old 05-17-18, 10:02 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by josephjhaney
Update, I'm pretty sure it's the battery. I take the device off charge, it gives 4 beeps, indicating full charge when I turn it on, I start the recording, and now it's only getting two clips, less than 20 mins total record time, every time. I contacted cyclq for support, we will see what they say, I'd love to get a slight discount on their fancy new Fly6 CE model, that would make me a very happy biker! I'll update here when I know more.

Joe
There's a lot of things that can affect the charge level of rechargeable batteries. If I remember correctly, the Fly6 has just a standard 18650 Li-Ion battery soldered into it. If you're good with a soldering iron, you could probably replace it if you're out of warranty and they don't want to help you out. In general, it's better to recharge the battery more frequently rather than let it get "low" and recharge it when it's near empty.

That being said... I have the new CE's and I really like them. 1080p on the 6 is nice and having two bikes, the 1/4 turn mounts work so much better than dealing with rubber straps or velcro if you buy some extra mounts.
Old 05-18-18, 07:31 AM
josephjhaney

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty
There's a lot of things that can affect the charge level of rechargeable batteries. If I remember correctly, the Fly6 has just a standard 18650 Li-Ion battery soldered into it. If you're good with a soldering iron, you could probably replace it if you're out of warranty and they don't want to help you out. In general, it's better to recharge the battery more frequently rather than let it get "low" and recharge it when it's near empty.

That being said... I have the new CE's and I really like them. 1080p on the 6 is nice and having two bikes, the 1/4 turn mounts work so much better than dealing with rubber straps or velcro if you buy some extra mounts.
I know, like part of me wants to just fix this one since I know it's out of warranty, but if they give me even a slight discount on a new one I might just have to jump on that.

Joe