Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Pedal and Shoe recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-18-19, 01:26 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I used to ride MTB but I switched to a road bike (Trek Domane ALR 4 Disc). I am currently using Shimano MTB pedals and Bontrager Foray MTB shoes and they don't really present any problems, but I want to switch to road cycling shoes and pedals since I plan on trying out racing when I start college at Penn State University this fall.

I am looking for a sturdy shoe and pedal set. I am not a weight weenie so I just need a good shoe that isnt too much. I was considering the Tourch 3.0 by specialized, but I really don't know what pedals to get. Again, not a weight weenie (I like distance over speed) but something that I could race in.

(I am a size 8.5 in USA mens btw)
Old 05-18-19, 01:32 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
The only thing I can offer is my experience. I've been riding Speedplay Zero for about 15 years. I have also had two pairs of Specialized shoes in the past 6-8 years. I love Speedplay but I don't race. And, the Specialized shoes are solid but I have to admit I'm jonesin' for Sidi or Lake shoes. Having said all that it really comes down to what you can afford and what fits and works for you.
Old 05-18-19, 01:40 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Shoes a very personal thing as sizes can vary widely. But generally in higher end shoes cost is less about weight than stiffness. Carbon soled shoes will be stiffer, which offers more efficient pedaling. But some find super stiff soles to be uncomfortable.

I love my Look keo blade pedals, but any road shoe you get will work with any of the major road pedal makers — Look, Shimano, Time, Speedplay — with the right cleats.
Old 05-18-19, 03:23 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
Fit trumps everything when it comes to shoes, so your best bet is to go to a bike shop and try some on. For pedals I'm partial to Shimano.
Old 05-18-19, 04:26 PM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any pedals you want, as long as they turn freely, and any shoes that fit. Really, any combination will work without any discernible or measurable difference in performance.
Old 05-18-19, 05:09 PM
Canker

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'd just keep what you have.
Old 05-18-19, 05:25 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Sidi shoes and Look pedals as long as I can remember.
Old 05-18-19, 07:07 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
You canít go wrong with Shimano SPD-SL pedals. Utterly reliable and very common. I bought a pair of carbon 105 pedals recently on eBay and they are light and work great. As far as shoes, as said, stiffness is key. Iíve been wearing Specialized which have held up well for many years
Old 05-19-19, 04:19 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used mountain bike pedals and shoes until spring 2018, when I decided to try Look Keo Blade pedals and some Garneau Shoes. With about 3000 miles on the Blades, I have no complaints at all with the pedals themselves. A simple, elegant design. Coming from mountain bike pedals, it did take a while to get used to needing a more deliberate release motion. The Look cleats don't last as long as I think they should. I'm about to need to buy a second replacement set.

For road shoes, one absolutely mandatory feature is a BOA closure. You want your shoes to be tight. Your socks will compress. You will need to tighten your shoes after your first few miles, and it's a huge advantage to be able to do so whilst rolling.

For me, having rubber at the toe and heel of the sole is also a mandatory feature. Most road shoes only have plastic or at best tiny rubber pads at the toe and heel. I liked everything else about the Garneau shoes okay, but I gave up on them after falling HARD whilst trying to walk down some concrete stairs. I'd previously slipped when stopping on sloped and on wet concrete surfaces. The bike room and locker room at work are tiled, so they always seemed hazardous too. When I went looking for road shoes with relatively large/thick/sticky section at their heel and toe, the only suitable shoes I found were Specialized's Torch 2.0 model. I ordered the version that's black in front but with silver reflective materials wrapping all the way around their rearward half. I like them very much. The only thing I miss about the Garneau shoes: they were better ventilated.
Old 05-19-19, 04:27 PM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 72 Posts
I'd use what you have, and save the money. Simply getting pedals and shoes comparable to what you have now....$300 or so between price and S/H and taxes.
Old 05-19-19, 11:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 216 Posts
I have Look Delta cleats/pedals for one bike, Shimano SPD-SL for the other. They're both good, only minor differences between the two. Not great for walking around tho'. The SPD-SL cleats are a little more walking-friendly, good enough for a cafe or pub without clomping around sounding like high heeled tap dancing shoes. Look Delta cleats are awkward for walking.

Shoes don't need to cost much. I look for discontinued models on sale. Scott shoes are good values. I've used Scott Road Pro shoes for more than a year, very comfy for warm weather, cost about $50. Ditto Fizik Tempo Powerstrap R5, $50 for new but open box return sale via Amazon. Add another $9 for Profoot Miracle insoles I added to replace the original insoles. Cleats usually cost less than $20.
Old 05-20-19, 08:40 AM
atjurhs

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
speedplay pedals and sidi shoes. i have on both my road bike and my mtn. bike

Last edited by atjurhs; 05-20-19 at 08:44 AM.