Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 04-28-19, 08:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I wrote a response to this a number of days ago, but it aint here.
No, no personal Apidura experience, their stuff looks well made, but re rubbing, I've put tape on lots of times for cables and panniers and such when I started to notice paint rubbing off a few times over the years. Ihave only one bike with a cf fork, and am extra careful of it with panniers and whatnot, I figure its worth being proactive to keeping abrasion going on.

re the rings, I havent ridden oval rings since about 91 with Biopace, and my knees didnt like it, but Im aware that the design of oval rings has changed a lot, and it would be interesting to try them now with more riding experience, I had some knee issues with it back then, but it was probably a combination of diff factors, and I cant go back in time so who knows how much the Biopace played a part.

anyway, neat setup, and yes a Krumpas would be fun going the wide route. I one day will set up my Troll with Jones bars and 2.5 or 2.8 and do a different sort of riding.
cheers
Absolute Black and Biopace rings have the ovals 90 degrees out of phase from each other. The high spot on the AB rings are where the low spot is on the Biopace rings and vice versa.

-Tim-
Old 04-28-19, 09:18 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Absolute Black and Biopace rings have the ovals 90 degrees out of phase from each other. The high spot on the AB rings are where the low spot is on the Biopace rings and vice versa.
-Tim-
you know, I have no recollection of the technical aspect of Biopace, and there also very well may have been diff versions of biopace also.
What I do remember is having a real bugger of a problem with one knee on that trip, I even had to hang around at a provincial campground for a few days to let my knee recover so I could actually continue the trip. I also remember my legs not liking the oval thing, as I always found higher cadences to be so bouncy wouncy--but this is where it would be interesting to try them now, as Im certainly a better cyclist in terms of pedalling. Given so many top racers use it with great success, there has to be something to it, and it probably just takes a slight change of how one pedals.

re my bum knee--unfortunately I very much associate that with the Biopace rings, although to be fair that knee had had bings and bangs before 91 with skiing and motorcycling falls, so who knows. All I know is that to this day, and even more as I age, that knee grumbles at times, especially when I dont ride enough and or overdo it.
Old 04-29-19, 05:24 AM
lax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this!

Originally Posted by phile
does this count?

Old 04-30-19, 04:59 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lax
I love this!
i received a lot of looks
Old 04-30-19, 11:20 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtisgimp

we took the same terrible picture lol
Likes For antmaster5000:
Old 05-01-19, 10:15 PM
kurtisgimp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by antmaster5000

we took the same terrible picture lol
Awesome, haha. There was up to 20 of us some nights of camping at various parks along the way. Legit was a challenge on a recumbent.
Old 05-02-19, 10:39 AM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtisgimp
Awesome, haha. There was up to 20 of us some nights of camping at various parks along the way. Legit was a challenge on a recumbent.
Oh I bet dude. This was sometime mid August '18 for me during my trip from Seattle -> Cabo San Lucas. Also had some cool experiences with a dozen or so other cyclists at the parks. It was funny- some days I would feel so lonely out on the road only to roll up to a state park and realize that there were a lot of cyclists within +/- 20 miles of me all day lol
Old 05-02-19, 11:00 AM
djb

Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Oh I bet dude. This was sometime mid August '18 for me during my trip from Seattle -> Cabo San Lucas. Also had some cool experiences with a dozen or so other cyclists at the parks. It was funny- some days I would feel so lonely out on the road only to roll up to a state park and realize that there were a lot of cyclists within +/- 20 miles of me all day lol
it was the same for me in 1994, was an added nice bonus aspect of the trip actually.
Old 05-18-19, 05:43 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Didn't go as far as I expected but this is in Afton MN, during quite a warm April day.
Likes For Awl:
Old 05-25-19, 02:38 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Phase I

Phase II
After rear wheel issues
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 05-26-19, 12:10 PM
shroomaroom

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 20, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Back in October at the end of the Veloscenie - Paris / Mont Saint Michel.

Likes For shroomaroom:
Old 05-28-19, 09:32 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Vintage Diamondback build

Modified Specialized Sequoia

Last edited by mtnbud; 05-28-19 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 05-29-19, 09:18 PM
hartmame

Bikes: 95' Kona Kula, built up 11' Surly LHT frame...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Extremely rough rail trail along my 2018 bike tour route
Likes For hartmame:
Old 06-21-19, 11:16 AM
onar3d

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str
half loaded ...
I love this bike!

What is it? Firefly?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-19, 09:46 AM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Touring Catrike Expedition and BOB trailer, summer 2017
Old 06-27-19, 04:47 PM
bacardi

Bikes: Pluto R ebike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice! I've heard some of the smaller islands have some decent campgrounds.
Old 07-05-19, 11:17 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
The newest addition finally out on the road

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-05-19, 02:11 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The newest addition finally out on the road
For an old geezer, you're pretty hip dude , fancy assed fatbike and frame bags ;-)

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun, for a given type of trail. Must try one one day.
Old 07-05-19, 11:48 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I even have tattoo's and a sweet sweet beard

The bike is definitely fun but takes some getting used to in terms of speed - it's slow and the gearing/geometry is sort of like chopping wood instead of graceful pedaling.
It's a bike one might ferry to a start point to do an offroad trip instead of riding a long distance on. I bought it in anticipation of some trips next year like the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway), Great Sand Hills in Sask and Cypress Hills in AB/Sask. Plus we have endless wilderness logging roads in BC.

I tried riding the Great Sand Hills a year ago with Schwalbe 1.75's and could make very little headway and began thinking of a fat bike then. I had some time off recently and was going to go on a trip but felt burnt out so I stayed home and spent my vacation money on the bike instead to set myself up down the road.
Old 07-06-19, 08:04 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I even have tattoo's and a sweet sweet beard

The bike is definitely fun but takes some getting used to in terms of speed - it's slow and the gearing/geometry is sort of like chopping wood instead of graceful pedaling.
It's a bike one might ferry to a start point to do an offroad trip instead of riding a long distance on. I bought it in anticipation of some trips next year like the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway), Great Sand Hills in Sask and Cypress Hills in AB/Sask. Plus we have endless wilderness logging roads in BC.

I tried riding the Great Sand Hills a year ago with Schwalbe 1.75's and could make very little headway and began thinking of a fat bike then. I had some time off recently and was going to go on a trip but felt burnt out so I stayed home and spent my vacation money on the bike instead to set myself up down the road.
thats interesting about the riding "feel" and the chopping wood comment. The times I have ridden past them, the sound of the tires on each pedal stroke has a clear "wfruu wfruu wfruu" cadence to it that the chopping wood choice of words kinda sums up.

but hey, like you say, it comes down to a horses for courses sort of thing, and they clearly work and have the advantage over soft and rough that outweighs the negatives, I guess its just a questino of picking and choosing when to use them.
Old 07-06-19, 06:10 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts

1998 Trek 930 MUSA galor!
Likes For Teamdarb:
Old 07-06-19, 09:39 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Teamdarb
1998 Trek 930 MUSA galor!
Holy army olive drab and canvas-o-rama Batman!!

Hey, not my style thing, but cool bike.

Why a double? Looks like you removed the granny.
Also, are there thumbies hiding up there on top?

Last edited by djb; 07-06-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 08:00 AM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts

Stem Shifters handlebar mounted.
Originally Posted by djb
Why a double? Looks like you removed the granny.
Also, are there thumbies hiding up there on top?
I have been living on a bike continuously since 2011 traveling America and Canada. That is something to understand as I explain the answers to your questions. Why the double? Necessity and increased durability. The triple crank arm cracked at the spindle. It was the old Impel 250 with 74bcd only and steel rings. I have over 250,000 logged since 2011. You have to imagine the number of chains, chainrings, jockey wheels, and bicycles I have gone through. One thing I noticed is the more in line the chain runs, the more life I can get out those components. My Q factor is rather low and the inner chainring sits just 45mm from the centerline of the frame. I also use only seven to eight speed cassettes. My rig runs in to guises loaded and "oh nuts mountain bike mode". I take modern cassettes 9,10,11 speed space them to seven or eight, and keep only the cogs I like. The current chainring is Sugino 46 tooth and Black Spire 34 tooth. The cassette goes from 15-42 (eight speed, not in photo).

Are those thumbies? Sort of, technically.... not really. Long story short, I do not like item sticking out from the bike that can get damaged in transit, falling over, or flipping upside down to fix a flat. They are stem shifter from a Bridgestone mixte I traveled on and gave away to a person who wished they had a bicycle. I mounted them to swing downward. Seems weird to most people, until you realize shifting is not a priority on my setup. I just peddle. I have had several suggest downtube shifters. Here is my argument to that.... I go through frames whether damaged or just given away. My cockpit, saddle, lighting, and front rack are a constant. I pop them off, and they fit easily onto another rig no matter the year. Brake and shifter cabling are always left long. I never forget the day a bike shop thought they were doing me a favor by cutting the cables and installing an on the shelf cassette. I left the bike there for the day so I could explore the area. My lid blew!
Likes For Teamdarb:
Old 07-07-19, 07:07 PM
djb

hey, certainly an interesting experience. Thanks for responding.
Does make me think just how neat the bicycle is as an invention-that allows us to move around rather efficiently, and can work with simple, robust systems.
Your setup and being a traveller for so long is not my thing, but it is yours, and you seem to know how to make a bike work for you and have a well working setup. I too have always been very aware of chain line and how keeping a chain running in line helps a lot, and I put on a fraction of the kms that you do.

safe riding on your journey
Old 07-07-19, 08:08 PM
LeoNobilis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lovely bike and gear!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.