Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Old 07-17-19, 10:44 PM
Milan dura ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful steed,i have a cannondale Sr 2000 1989,coming soon photos
Old 07-22-19, 09:01 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '85 Specialized Allez SE - '81 Univega Gran Premio - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 58 Posts
Another day, er month, another groupset on my 1987 Schwinn Prologue. This particular build was finished up as I sat with an injured left IT band from a 4th of July ride. Apparently too many miles too close together? I just rode an easy 1.5 miles today on this bike after sitting out two weeks. Need more time to heal more, but at least it was progress! The Prologue needs no introduction, and its superb qualities have been written elsewhere with different modern groupsets.

In short, I took the 7900-gen Dura-Ace from it to put on another bike. I felt somewhat bad as all the 7900 parts and these wheels were more or less, finally, her parts. An interim groupset was placed on the Prologue, and I waited for some sort of inspiration which came in the form of yet another stupid cheap electronic shifting groupset from a local LBS. I have always wanted Di2 on a bike as I thought the shifters looked the business and felt really nice. And now I finally have a groupset of it!

This era of Di2 is the Ultegra level, 10-speed "6700" generation. "xx70" designates Di2 in a Shimano generation of this era ("xx50" is the Di2 designation now, with "xx20" being hydraulic braking, and "xx70" being hydraulic braking with Di2). While 7970 (10-speed, same era as 6700) was Shimano's first Di2 groupset, 6770 was Shimano's first Di2 groupset to feature their E-tubes and modern/current wire connection system. Compatibility!!! And as such, the shifters can be programmed to shift the newer 11-speed in addition to easily accepting the upgraded internal battery offered several years after the debut of the 6770 groupset.

So that's a lot of modern mumbo jumbo, and I took the plunge on a(nother) used, 5-7 year old electronic shifting groupset, and you know what happened when I hooked everything up without having charged it yet (charge level was then unknown)? It worked. Welcome to Japan, everyone.

Time will tell how the battery will perform, but so far it's just fine. The system is tune-able on the bike and is easier than the Campagnolo EPS system. Shift button effort is higher/different than the Campy system (they did a really great job) and shift time is near the same speed, if a touch faster. Shifting accuracy is very good and the RD possesses plenty of "authority" which disallows noisy delayed shifts on the small end of the cassette where less chain tension is present.

We're here for the pictures, though. Di2 wire routers/guides again were instrumental in keeping a clean look. The shifter junction box on the stem/bars is bulkier and less willing to work with a stealthy vintage setup--EPS was much more cooperative on that front. Tires are Vittoria Corsa G/G+ 23mm. They absolutely make the look of the bike, IMO. Bike is 20.5 lb as shown.

My super light and venerable Williams Maxim ACS bars are back on a flagship bike! The "textured" paddles engage a bigger cog/gear as they are the "big lever" while the aft-located smooth paddles engage smaller gears/cogs. So for all of you people that dislike Shimano's mechanical STI units for their lateral movement under brake lever actuation, just move to Di2! Another fun fact: the shifter lever blade "flare" (when viewing the levers head-on) on the right/rear shifter is much more so than the flare on the left/front shifter. Shifter body is extremely comfortable to hold. Likely the best I've ever felt.

Ok, these calipers are 6800-era Ultegra (11-speed), but employ nearly the same aesthetic while possessing the new-era of Shimano's brake lever pull. New pads. I uhhhh....kinda wish it had a lot more initial bite. There's certainly a ton of modulation, but that's because it feels indifferent initially. I'll need more miles and pad break-in (maybe?) to see if anything changes. [update: they work just fine. Very smooth, just keep squeezing harder when on the hoods and rear tire lock-up is easy] In the drops, the brakes obviously clamp extremely hard. The shifter/brake lever blade on these Di2 levers is quite full feeling. Feels really nice and substantial.

There are totally not a bunch of wires wound around the base of the seat tube.... I had to pick up the 6700 crankset separately, but was able to find a good deal on one. Looks really nice with the frame's paint!

The matte finish of this era of Shimano groupset (7900/6700/5700) lends itself to not looking great when scratched, even when touched up. Oh well. At least it works extremely well. Very quick, sharp, confident feeling shifts.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 07-22-19 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-22-19, 09:08 PM
malcala622 

Bikes: Bianchi Trofeo/Giro.Tommasini Prestige. Bottecchia Cromor. Gios Torino. Torelli Strada. Miele Latina. Ciocc Design

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 68 Posts
@mikemowbz Holy moly donuts that Ryffranck!!

Stupid sexy Flanders....
Old 07-23-19, 12:32 PM
Reynolds 531

Bikes: 4 Old school BMX, 6 Klunkers, 5 29er race bikes, 4 restored Sting Rays, Now 3 vintage steel bike being built up

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I love the bikes pictured, and what y'all have done.
This is the best place to ask:

Is there a "retro" appearing brifter? I mean gum hoods, brake cables coming out the top, but with hidden shifters?

If so, that would be really cool, to have a completely CV bike but keeping both hands on the bars when riding in a group.

I looked around on ebay and don't see anything, partly because what name would I search for?
"gum brifter"?
" sorta old school lever"?
Old 07-23-19, 12:57 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531 View Post

Is there a "retro" appearing brifter? I mean gum hoods, brake cables coming out the top, but with hidden shifters?

If so, that would be really cool, to have a completely CV bike but keeping both hands on the bars when riding in a group.

I looked around on ebay and don't see anything, partly because what name would I search for?
"gum brifter"?
I've not seen any. Brifters use that top portion of the levers for its mechanics.
Old 07-23-19, 01:29 PM
kwhiner

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
'86 Schwinn Prelude modernized

Used Dura Ace 9 speed barends rather than brifters, also have XT 730 crankset and XT 750 RD, Tektro dual pivot brakes, and some other goodies. Frame was purchased off CL($50) and powdercoated here in Reno. Rides very well.
Likes For kwhiner:
Old 07-24-19, 06:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531 View Post

"gum brifter"?
Hudz makes a replacement cover for many types of integrated brake/shift levers. One of the cover colors that they offer (is often harder to find than most) is called Bordeaux Gold. It almost looks like a gum lever. When I finally get around to doing my next build, I'm going to be putting those on a set of campagnolo ergos with the aluminum levers to get as close as I can to a retro-ish look.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-24-19, 01:03 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Hudz makes a replacement cover for many types of integrated brake/shift levers. One of the cover colors that they offer (is often harder to find than most) is called Bordeaux Gold. It almost looks like a gum lever. When I finally get around to doing my next build, I'm going to be putting those on a set of campagnolo ergos with the aluminum levers to get as close as I can to a retro-ish look.
GAAAAAAHHHH! Want!
Old 07-24-19, 10:17 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '74 Peugeot U08, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
I passed on the original 8 speed Campy Stratos groupset and Mavic Cosmos wheelset, replaced the quill stem and original bars and seatpost. now it sports a new FSA headset, Deda 100mm stem and 42cm Deda bars, carbon Ritchey seatpost, Vuelta wheelset with Mavic Yksion Elite tires and Shimano 105 groupset. Rides like a rocket.

Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 07-25-19, 08:50 AM
DaleEArnold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
That HETCHINS makes for a beautiful frames...The curved rear triangle is very unusual..

Thanks for posting
Old 07-25-19, 03:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
This one always wins these battles. No use even trying.......:

Older post, best to quote on those...
Old 07-25-19, 03:32 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road, Cannondale CAAD12, Nigel Dean Tour Ace, Cooper SS, Kinesis Tripster

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48 View Post
I passed on the original 8 speed Campy Stratos groupset and Mavic Cosmos wheelset, replaced the quill stem and original bars and seatpost. now it sports a new FSA headset, Deda 100mm stem and 42cm Deda bars, carbon Ritchey seatpost, Vuelta wheelset with Mavic Yksion Elite tires and Shimano 105 groupset. Rides like a rocket.

Nice looking bike, but tt looks like the bars are a little low for you.
Flip your stem and rotate your bars down so the levers aren't pointing at the sky. It will increase the stack to the bars for you.
Old 07-25-19, 05:33 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '74 Peugeot U08, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT View Post
Nice looking bike, but tt looks like the bars are a little low for you.
Flip your stem and rotate your bars down so the levers aren't pointing at the sky. It will increase the stack to the bars for you.
You are right. I did feel like I was riding too high. I will flip the stem and try it out. Thanks!
Old 07-26-19, 10:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
The Prologue needs no introduction, and its superb qualities have been written elsewhere with different modern groupsets.
I've been meaning to ask this about other member's upper tier late 80s schwinn road bikes, but keep forgetting.

I have an 87 prelude and an 88 premis, both tenax, and the seat tube is quite literally slammed and squished into the bottom bracket shell to fit with the down tube(vs being mitered/coped to fit inside the shell with joining tubes).

Any chance you happened to look at the joining method of your Prologue? I know the Prologue is Panasonic built with Prestige tubing, vs Greenville built with Tenax tubing like the rest of the upper tier of bikes, but just curious if the slam and squish build method was used for the highest level bikes too(with Prestige or SL tubing).
Old 07-26-19, 10:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Originally Posted by mikemowbz View Post
I might have to make a whole thread for this one at some point - but this seems like the place to show off the whip I've most been enjoying so far this summer!

Ryffranck, hand built in Sherbrooke, Québec. Columbus EL OS. 'Freuler' style geo w/extended HT and ST ('dropped' TT). R8000 Ultegra w/H+Son Archetypes.

Rides nice.

Very neat! You don't often see a c&v frame with a lugged head tube extension like that.
Old 07-26-19, 11:20 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '85 Specialized Allez SE - '81 Univega Gran Premio - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I've been meaning to ask this about other member's upper tier late 80s schwinn road bikes, but keep forgetting.

I have an 87 prelude and an 88 premis, both tenax, and the seat tube is quite literally slammed and squished into the bottom bracket shell to fit with the down tube(vs being mitered/coped to fit inside the shell with joining tubes).

Any chance you happened to look at the joining method of your Prologue? I know the Prologue is Panasonic built with Prestige tubing, vs Greenville built with Tenax tubing like the rest of the upper tier of bikes, but just curious if the slam and squish build method was used for the highest level bikes too(with Prestige or SL tubing).
Since I don't want to disassemble my Prologue again, I will have to look at pictures I took of it, as well as my Peloton (same top level Panasonic build, same exact lugs--not kidding), to see if I took any. Nothing stood out to me when I did look at it, which usually means the tubes all go straight into the lugs with no mitering--they just don't protrude into free space very far at all. Seems to be pretty standard on other high end frames. No squishing--plenty of clearance for bottom brackets.
Old 07-26-19, 04:24 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 263 Posts
Battaglin

Haven't played in a while, that's for sure. Member @cpsqlrwn did me a solid on selling me this, and I'm fairly certain it's a climber for my future.

10-sp Centaur triple, Aerohead rims, and all the usual suspects. Went to Xpedo Thrust 7 pedals because they're cool. Finished it, finally.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-26-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 07:16 PM
BFisher

Bikes: '61 Schwinn Klunker, '68 Hercules Klapprad, '71 Peugeot UO8, '78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '79 Motobecane Grand Sprint, '87 Ironman Expert, '89 Puch Mistral Leader, '92 Trek 930

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Haven't played in a while, that's for sure. Member @cpsqlrwn did me a solid on selling me this, and I'm fairly certain it's a climber for my future.

10-sp Centaur triple, Aerohead rims, and all the usual suspects. Went to Xpedo Thrust 7 pedals because they're cool. Finished it, finally.

I see you're a sandal guy too.

Beautiful bike! Pedals look great on it.
Old 07-26-19, 08:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Since I don't want to disassemble my Prologue again, I will have to look at pictures I took of it, as well as my Peloton (same top level Panasonic build, same exact lugs--not kidding), to see if I took any. Nothing stood out to me when I did look at it, which usually means the tubes all go straight into the lugs with no mitering--they just don't protrude into free space very far at all. Seems to be pretty standard on other high end frames. No squishing--plenty of clearance for bottom brackets.
Ha, yeah disassembly is well past reasonable.

This is the inside of the Premis shell. I get that fitting the tubes by mitering is extra time and therefore cost, but wasn't sure if the late 80s Japanese built frames went that extra step due to higher quality/qc/different process.
Old 07-26-19, 10:34 PM
mikemowbz 

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very neat! You don't often see a c&v frame with a lugged head tube extension like that.
Indeed! The wacky thing? I own *two* such frames, really very similar, from two fairly small-scale Canadian builders.

My Cyclops, built in Vernon (BC) by Mike Mulholland, is remarkably similar with lugged HT and ST extensions!

It's not as though I've sought out this construction style/feature - just so happens that these were the bikes by these builders that came available to me in a suitable size...

Last edited by mikemowbz; 07-27-19 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 11:45 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Ha, yeah disassembly is well past reasonable.

This is the inside of the Premis shell. I get that fitting the tubes by mitering is extra time and therefore cost, but wasn't sure if the late 80s Japanese built frames went that extra step due to higher quality/qc/different process.
I don't think I ever noticed that on either the Prologue or the Peloton. Weird though I suppose not out of the realm of possibility to have that happen (smushed tubes)?
Old 07-27-19, 02:31 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Yes.
Tires-perfect
Colors-perfect
Setup-perfect.
The C24 is one of my favorite all-time wheels.

That is capital Nice. Clean. Smooth. Executed with vision and class.

Ok, these calipers are 6800-era Ultegra (11-speed), but employ nearly the same aesthetic while possessing the new-era of Shimano's brake lever pull.
You get used to that roller-cam feel quickly, and wonder why it wasn't around 20 years ago.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-27-19 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-27-19, 06:47 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
You do know you're all going to hell, right?
You are so right.... I was considering brifters for a '82 Panosonic before I came to my senses. I did substitute indexing 7speed Sun DT shifters and a Sun freewheel. I think that just qualifies for a halfway house.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 07-27-19, 07:11 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist View Post
You are so right.... I was considering brifters for a '82 Panosonic before I came to my senses. I did substitute indexing 7speed Sun DT shifters and a Sun freewheel. I think that just qualifies for a halfway house.
It's a slippery slope.

Old 07-27-19, 07:26 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

STI/Ergo's on an old bike.....

This conversation actually occurred during a recent group ride.

"Why put 11sp DA on an old bike?" (1988 Centurion)
"Why put 11sp DA on an new bike?"
"Because it works."
"Well, (duh) there you go."

One of the guys in the group is from Ireland, and splits his time between a 7900 BMC and a 9000 Dogma.
He was riding along, and just grinned. I showed up later on a Bob Jackson, and he said "you are sick."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.