Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ironman Information Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ironman Information Thread

Old 08-23-19, 12:44 AM
Bondsy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@texaspandj no I had to source the seatpost. Which took me ages as being 25mm they are not cheap, most being over £100. I was lucky and found this durace one cheap on ebay. Was originally looking at the 600 post but couldn't find one that didn't bust the bank. My headset looks like the original and is marked Tange Japan PAT.P on the upper nut which I am guessing matches the Tange fork.
Old 08-26-19, 11:32 AM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 58 Posts

Old 09-05-19, 10:49 AM
Multisync

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of carbon weave they used on the carbon bike?
Don't have any reference to be able to tell. One of the chain stays on mine has been rubbed by the (too big) chain ring, I might try my hand at fixing it, seeing as this looks like it will turn into an all winter project.
Old 09-25-19, 06:04 PM
TriBiker19

Bikes: 1985 Shogun, 1987 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Do I need to replace this chain or how can I get it to better condition? And is there anything I need to do with the cassette besides cleaning it? I was planning on swapping the tires from the tubeless (at least that's what I think they are) to presta stem tubes with new tires--will that cause issues?

Old 09-26-19, 01:56 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2015 Borealis Yampa, 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred, 1985 Trek 720

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
Do I need to replace this chain or how can I get it to better condition? And is there anything I need to do with the cassette besides cleaning it? I was planning on swapping the tires from the tubeless (at least that's what I think they are) to presta stem tubes with new tires--will that cause issues?

Yes, the chain needs to be replaced. Not only is it rusted, but there are frozen links. A new 6/7/8 speed chain is $8-$10.

If those truly are tubular rims, you cannot use clincher tires and tubes. Tubular rims don't have a "hook" on them to hold the tire's "bead" on under pressure. Tubular rims have a concave dish that the completely round (cross section-wise) tire (as opposed to a "U" shaped clincher tire) is glued to.

The pics aren't great, but the nipples on the spokes look pretty rusted. It might be very difficult to true the wheels, requiring a complete rebuild, and that would cost more than the $100-$150 that a good used wheelset would cost.

Hard to tell whether the cassette (gears) is ok. If it's a uniglide cassette it will probably be good to 2050 or so, but I'm guessing it's hyperglide, and a (6 speed?) replacement will be $25-$30.

Last edited by revcp; 09-26-19 at 02:05 AM.
Likes For revcp:
Old 09-26-19, 06:22 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
If the small sample of the pictures is any indication, I would find a friend or a co-op. Rear derailleur needs a little attention too. Without seeing other pictures, I think the safe assumption is all the general maintenance, consumables, bearings, need attention. Not a huge endeavor, unless you can't do it yourself. Hence, finding a friend

Last edited by sdn40; 09-26-19 at 09:17 AM.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 09-26-19, 08:54 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40 View Post
If the small sample of the pictures is any indication, I would find a friend or a coop. Rear derailleur needs a little attention too. Without seeing other pictures, I think the safe assumption is all the general maintenance, consumables, bearings, need attention. Not a huge endeavor, unless you can't do it yourself. Hence, finding a friend
This is good advice.

Also I donít think those are tubular rims. Assume new tires and tubes will be needed. I have been very happy with Continental Grand Prix. I would go with 25mm width. There are more expensive tires and maybe marginally better, but those are very good value.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod78421

(edit) It looks like there is a coop in Keene. Is that close?
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki..._Bicycle_Co-op

Last edited by due ruote; 09-26-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 10:06 AM
TriBiker19

Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
This is good advice.

Also I donít think those are tubular rims. Assume new tires and tubes will be needed. I have been very happy with Continental Grand Prix. I would go with 25mm width. There are more expensive tires and maybe marginally better, but those are very good value.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod78421

(edit) It looks like there is a coop in Keene. Is that close?
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki..._Bicycle_Co-op
Keene is close! I looked up the co-op and it seems like it's more of a lending program set up for Keene State College. They rattle can all of the bikes green. (Which is really sad because I saw a nice old Miyata in the "before" pictures.)

I have a set of Panaracer Catalyst Sport tires for it and new tubes that I ordered a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-01-19, 10:02 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I just picked up an ‘87 Expert MV for a pretty decent price. It’s mostly stock but needs a couple things to bring it to fully original. I will have to decide whether to do the original thing or whether to make it more rider friendly. But I need to do a bit of cosmetic touch-up on the finish. I’ve read all the posts on this thread, and a few if you have hinted at some paint possibilities. Have any of you found some accurate color sources for the magenta/gold paint job. If there’s nothing out there, I’ll just start doing the nail polish dance until I get the right combo. Looking forward to working on this gem this winter!
Old 10-02-19, 04:15 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand View Post
I just picked up an Ď87 Expert MV for a pretty decent price. Itís mostly stock but needs a couple things to bring it to fully original. I will have to decide whether to do the original thing or whether to make it more rider friendly. But I need to do a bit of cosmetic touch-up on the finish. Iíve read all the posts on this thread, and a few if you have hinted at some paint possibilities. Have any of you found some accurate color sources for the magenta/gold paint job. If thereís nothing out there, Iíll just start doing the nail polish dance until I get the right combo. Looking forward to working on this gem this winter!
Cool, pics?
Old 10-02-19, 09:09 AM
TriBiker19

Originally Posted by ddeand View Post
Have any of you found some accurate color sources for the magenta/gold paint job. If thereís nothing out there, Iíll just start doing the nail polish dance until I get the right combo. Looking forward to working on this gem this winter!
I went to my local auto body shop and asked them to color-match the paint on mine before I started anything. That was when I thought I'd be doing work on it.
Old 10-02-19, 04:18 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post

I believe that is no longer an issue.
Old 10-02-19, 04:21 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Cool, pics?
The yellow has a very good match with an aerosol spray I found at Walmart .

The fuscia remains difficult; I used nail polish, very thin x 3 coats.
Old 10-02-19, 04:22 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by Multisync View Post
Does anyone know what kind of carbon weave they used on the carbon bike?
Don't have any reference to be able to tell. One of the chain stays on mine has been rubbed by the (too big) chain ring, I might try my hand at fixing it, seeing as this looks like it will turn into an all winter project.
I'd just patch with resin, or wrap a carbon protector around it.
Old 10-02-19, 05:39 PM
TriBiker19

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I believe that is no longer an issue.
It's still an issue, but it's not going to be *my* issue... It'll be going to someone who knows vast amounts more than I.

Last edited by TriBiker19; 10-02-19 at 05:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-05-19, 02:50 PM
Namnad510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the information in this post. I have an 87 “Miami vice” Ironman and didn’t realize how many of the parts have been upgraded. I got it second hand around 1996. I’ll need to post in the valuation forum to get some help figuring out how much the parts are worth.
Likes For Namnad510:
Old 10-13-19, 11:30 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 112 Posts
Picked up a red/white '86 (?) this weekend. Serial number begins N5M, but it's definitely an '86 bike, by the livery and build. Edit - remainder of post moved to the "Love of '80s colors" thread.

Last edited by madpogue; 10-14-19 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 06:41 AM
TriBiker19

Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Picked up a red/white '86 (?) this weekend. Serial number begins N5M, but it's definitely an '86 bike, by the livery and build. Edit - remainder of post moved to the "Love of '80s colors" thread.
Funny, I looked at a 88 with an 87 Serial (N7L), oddly, also red and white. Maybe they were the first ones off the line in the new year? I wonder if certain colors sold better at certain times of the year or when the production releases were.

Just the accountant rambling...