Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ...

Old 09-11-19, 04:12 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I suspect people have somewhat varying definitions of group recreational rides, considering the references to crit and cat 1 and 2.

A lot of people do get together for social group rides that don't include pacelining. And, if you consider randoneuring, can just as demanding.
Old 09-11-19, 04:20 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Someone who's been riding a bike all his life, whether it's a hybrid on the MUP or commuting to work, can likely pick up the necessary skills to ride with a local club B group easily. And with a few years or more serious training could probably hang with the A group. So in that sense, I agree with OP.

Riding competitively, however, is another matter. This takes some skills that some will never have--aggressive mindset, tenacity, smarts, quick thinking, and some big balls, and those are just the mental skills. It is very difficult to develop this skill set later in life, just like golf, tennis, basketball, hockey, etc.
Old 09-11-19, 04:22 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
Many recreational group rides require more than endurance. They require skills that prevent novice riders from being able to ride with "cyclists who've done it for years and are pretty avid about it."
No. You are equating avid cyclists with road cyclists who ride in pacelines. I am an avid cyclist (and pretty good at it I think) and I never ride that way.

If you wanted to join me for a group ride all you would need is basic skills and endurance. If you tried to suck my wheel I'd say "cut that out".

Not everone who is avid wants to be a racer. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-11-19, 04:30 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'll elaborate. It depends what you mean by "short time" and "basic skills". I can assure you that riding in a group in a Pro-1-2 crit requires substantially more than "basic skills" that are "easily acquired". Having said that, this is likely not what the OP is talking about. It goes back to what the OP means by "cycling". Navigating a threshold drop ride with 34 MPH+ pulls, town line sprints and off-camber turns taken at speed in a tight group is obviously different than toodling along on a hybrid on a MUP.
I'd go even further. Riding side-by-side with someone for miles at even a low to moderate (or higher) pace so that you match speed without one or the other rider surging ahead or falling behind* while keeping a fixed distance between them takes considerable skill and many hours of experience. Picking up the subtle cues of changing pace and line isn't something one develops without lots of time in the saddle.

I'm pretty sure I could pick up a racket and hit a ball against a wall today with no experience. Anything is easy if you set the bar low enough.

*I'm talking about not more than 6 inches or so.
Old 09-11-19, 05:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Tennis, golf and cycling are sports of a lifetime, but cycling is much friendlier to late beginners..
There's riding a bicycle and then there's cycling.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-11-19, 05:30 PM
Happy Feet

That's a really bad assumption on your part. I am not equating avid cyclists with road cyclists who ride in pacelines. Not even close.

Here is an example of one of our social group rides that doesn't include any pacelining. You have claimed that recreational group rides "require little more than the endurance to do them." This very common recreational group ride requires more than endurance. It require both climbing and descending skills that prevent novice ridersfrom being able to ride with "cyclists who've done it for years and are pretty avid about it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRVt5PALew
I thought it was already covered without dispute that mountain biking requires some technical skill. Not the genre under debate as far as I can tell.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-11-19, 05:43 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Not sure what kind of crits you're talking about here. If you tried to join a crit here in Chicago with cat 1s and 2s (something like the Intelligentsia Cup) as a newbie with six weeks of riding under your belt, two things would happen:
First you'd be dropped in half a lap.
Secondly you'd piss off everyone on your way out the back.
That’s not what I said but to clarify, training crits. Open field with a smattering of 1-2s and the bulk being 3s/4s with a few 5s. Not hard to stay in the pack, lots of 5s are strong enough to roll a reasonably flat 4-corner with the pack. Hell lots of non-licensed riders are too. Sitting in the pack isn’t the hardest skill to learn.

Anyway this is the extreme end of what the OP is talking about. Being able to and enjoying riding with high level, experienced riders outside of sanctioned races is possible for many neophyte cyclists. It is much less possible in other sports. Which I agree with.

A better example, I can easily ride with a randonneur who has been awarded Super Randonneur several times and is a well experienced and skillful rider. I could not keep up with a hiker who is as experienced in their own sport. I could not participate appropriately with a golfer as experienced.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 09-11-19, 05:57 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
My first inclination was to agree, but how many adults are truly starting from scratch late in life having never successfully balanced a bike as a kid? I have no frame of reference but suspect learning to ride a bike at 60 having never seen a bike in your entire life would be challenging. I wouldn't say any of my kids would consider themselves cyclists, but they struggled to ride as toddlers, got it and ride adequately now. Likely they could quit for decades and ride adequately again with minimal effort.

Contrast that with tennis. I picked it up in my 20s while travelling for work. I was working with a crew and after awhile we got tired of going to bars as main entertainment and one guy that had played off and on suggested we all get rackets. It was pretty ugly to start, but after a while not really all that long we were having competitive tournaments. We were playing everyday for at least an hour. In years after I've held my own against people who have played longer and were similar in general fitness. More years later my kids who would just want to beat the ball around every once in a while never really got it. Even though I hadn't played in 10 years I could still serve weakly and volley pretty well, but it was a challenge for them to return volleys even if I was trying to make it easy. They just never had the interest/time invested to get over the hump.

I think cycling appears to get picked up with ease later in life because the skill got set as a kid even if you weren't a 'cyclist'. For my generation it was THE means of transportation since parents didn't haul you around everywhere. In the same way I'd never have beaten a college athlete in tennis, I'd never beat a cyclist who trains at distance or speed either. I just ride because it's been a life long joy. Assuming you have the general skill to ride a bike, then performing well in terms of speed/distance is just a matter of how hard you train and how good are your genetics.
Old 09-11-19, 06:07 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
you mean, it's just like riding a bike!
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-11-19, 06:14 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Granted some people have unique riding skills, but in the over all world of cycling they are a very tiny part Life is easier if you dont take yourself too seriously.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-11-19, 06:21 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I used to be a top level skier and in no time at all I am a top level cyclist.

Just saying.
Old 09-11-19, 06:33 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Again, I likely disagree with you.

I'll elaborate. It depends what you mean by "short time" and "basic skills". I can assure you that riding in a group in a Pro-1-2 crit requires substantially more than "basic skills" that are "easily acquired". Having said that, this is likely not what the OP is talking about. It goes back to what the OP means by "cycling". Navigating a threshold drop ride with 34 MPH+ pulls, town line sprints and off-camber turns taken at speed in a tight group is obviously different than toodling along on a hybrid on a MUP.

My reason for objecting to the OP's premise is that I think more cyclists need to appreciate that riding a bike safely requires both skills and knowledge. I see a lot of people riding on the road who clearly have no idea what they're doing: salmoning, not signaling, not riding defensively, annoying drivers, endangering pedestrians. I also see a lot of people joining group rides who also have no idea that what they're doing: surging, not holding their line, allowing gaps to open up, not coming off the front smoothly, not pointing out obstacles. Etc. In both cases, I think some people don't appreciate that they are endangering themselves and others around them.

I think this is an important topic and worth picking apart. I read the OP's assumption as "it's just riding a bike, how hard can it be?" To me, that type of thinking contributes to the issues I describe above.

"Yelling"? Was this directed at me?
OP never hinted at or stated that cycling at a high level isn’t hard.
He simply implied that cycling at a high recreational level is much easier to do than almost all other sports and he was correct.
Sorry about the bruised egos. I hope all the Pro-1-2 crit riders in here don’t take offense
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-11-19, 06:48 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Naturally folks get their chamois in a knot when someone has the audacity to suggest that a newbie with a few years of riding could do what they been doing for decades.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 09-11-19, 07:14 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am probably the odd person out on this, but I don't consider bicycle riding a sport. I do consider racing a sport.
Old 09-11-19, 07:15 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
What you're quoting me on there is a pretty broad description. It could include world-class cyclists, or just one of the faster groups in a local club. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I assume cycling is like any other popular sport with a bell curve of skill levels and that cycling has its own Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer and it falls off from there. Based on my experience, it's more practical for a 50-year-old novice cyclist to make up ground on the average cyclist than it would be for a 50-year-old novice tennis player to make up ground on the average tennis player. Mainly because the novice cyclist can just outwork the average cyclist. Not sure that would be enough in tennis.
Correct.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-11-19, 07:27 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Many recreational group rides require more than endurance. They require skills that prevent novice riders from being able to ride with "cyclists who've done it for years and are pretty avid about it."
Such as...?
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-11-19, 07:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
What's the difference between riding a bicycle and cycling ??
Old 09-11-19, 07:31 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
What's the line from one to another?
Old 09-11-19, 07:33 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Such as...?
Being able to eat and drink in close quarters, knowing how to take over the front without speeding up (slowing down might cause a crash, but the guy at the front will still be there), knowing when to pull off and still be able to rejoin at the back, knowing how to be in the draft in a cross wind, ...

not to to mention what’s necessary to not be a hazard to others.

Last edited by asgelle; 09-11-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 07:41 PM
Happy Feet

True, MTB has been mentioned in passing, yet folks persist in using "cycling" as if it is limited to riding on the road. Because that's all they know (like the OP).

"An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ...that cycling doesn't require an inordinate amount of skill development in order to be pretty good at it."

Heck, even riding some non-paved multi-use paths/trails require technical skills that would prevent a novice from being able to hang with Avid cyclists who have been riding for years.
Now that we cleared that up... I'll add my opinion to those that think mountain biking, especially as terrain becomes more technical, requires some skills.
Old 09-11-19, 08:40 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am probably the odd person out on this, but I don't consider bicycle riding a sport. I do consider racing a sport.
Nope, not odd at all. Most people would not consider cycling a sport, unless it was racing.

What's odd are riders who think they are cycling, while lesser newbies and regular schmucks are merely riding a bike.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 09-11-19, 08:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
I've played competitive tennis (NTRP 5.0) my whole life and cycled (CAT 3) my whole life. I think the time needed to reach an equivalent level of competency in the two sports is about the same.

To answer the original question: An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ... just how tough those skinny little pro cyclists are.
Old 09-11-19, 09:02 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Nope, not odd at all. Most people would not consider cycling a sport, unless it was racing.

What's odd are riders who think they are cycling, while lesser newbies and regular schmucks are merely riding a bike.
Since many folks consider golf a sport, I've kinda lost track as to what a sport is and what it is not. To make myself still feel like an athlete, I classify cycling as a sport, even if I ride alone to the coffee shop - as long as I sweat it has to be a sport.
Old 09-11-19, 11:52 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Anything can be a sport if you're competitive about it.
Old 09-12-19, 05:56 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Fast group riding requires basic skills easily acquired in a short amount of time.
You keep yelling at other cyclists though bro
Yep. Decent group riding isn't rocket science. Anyone who rides regularly with their local cycling club is almost certainly a competent group rider after the first year. You aren't going to be a decent tennis player, golfer, basketball player, baseball player etc. with only one year's experience.
Again, I likely disagree with you.

I'll elaborate. It depends what you mean by "short time" and "basic skills". I can assure you that riding in a group in a Pro-1-2 crit requires substantially more than "basic skills" that are "easily acquired".
How do you get "Pro-1-2 crit" from "fast group ride"? Or from the OP's comment
I just mean being good enough so that you can enter a wide range of group rides.
No one said anything about racing. It was pretty clear what he meant IMO.
Likes For OBoile:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.