Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road Rash Burns NOT healing after 16 days!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road Rash Burns NOT healing after 16 days!

Old 09-10-19, 05:42 PM
  #76  
Newspaper_Nick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Just don't get it infected. If it gets infected, go to the hospital right away. Keep the wound clean. A minor infection could escalate to scary outcomes. Open wounds should always been taken seriously.

PS: I see people recommending keeping the wound open. A big wound should never be left open. That is like a warm welcome to all kinds of germs and bacteria.
Newspaper_Nick is online now  
Old 09-10-19, 08:39 PM
  #77  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 4,698

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
Yes. Urgent care was available. She had stated in message #63 :

"It was either ER or walk in clinic, and the clinic told me I needed to go to the ER.... I waited 5 hours in the ER and they said it had been too long and they couldn't give me stitches, though they would have but I was in the waiting room so long. Later, the clinic didn't understand why they didn't clean it, or sanitize it. Ultimately, it got infected, which made me go back to the clinic, who did all the other stuff that they said ultimately the ER should have done."

So she went to the clinic first. Then the ER...which was too busy because this wasn't an emergency...then back to the clinic where they finally did the job they should have in the first place. Sorry to hear about your friend, who apparently didn't go anywhere, but you need to know what level of care is appropriate to seek.
So basically, no matter what happened, it wasn't the ER's fault? Sorry, but that's a load of crap. She was turned away by the clinic because they determined she needed more diagnostics than they could provide. So now you are faulting people for skipping a step of being refused service because you know they're not going to want to treat you without xrays, etc.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 10:53 AM
  #78  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So basically, no matter what happened, it wasn't the ER's fault? Sorry, but that's a load of crap. She was turned away by the clinic because they determined she needed more diagnostics than they could provide. So now you are faulting people for skipping a step of being refused service because you know they're not going to want to treat you without xrays, etc.
She didn't need any xrays or CT or MRI or other advanced imaging. If so...the ER would have seen her in a more expeditious manner. They didn't because in triage they determined it wasn't needed. They could have eventually seen her at the ER if she continued to wait, but she left. Besides, urgent care has xray capability.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 11:28 AM
  #79  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 4,698

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
She didn't need any xrays or CT or MRI or other advanced imaging. If so...the ER would have seen her in a more expeditious manner. They didn't because in triage they determined it wasn't needed. They could have eventually seen her at the ER if she continued to wait, but she left. Besides, urgent care has xray capability.
So wait, she went to the clinic who turned her away telling her she needs to be seen in the ER, so she goes to the ER who does a crappy job, then has to go back to the clinic when it gets infected, and your version is she should have gone to the clinic in the first place, which is exactly what she did!

And she did wait at the ER and was served--they "triaged" her too long to get the stitches that could have helped, and they failed to clean the wounds or tell her how.

In your book, literally nothing she could have done was correct.
"That's some catch, that Catch 22!"
livedarklions is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 12:13 PM
  #80  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So wait, she went to the clinic who turned her away telling her she needs to be seen in the ER, so she goes to the ER who does a crappy job, then has to go back to the clinic when it gets infected, and your version is she should have gone to the clinic in the first place, which is exactly what she did!

And she did wait at the ER and was served--they "triaged" her too long to get the stitches that could have helped, and they failed to clean the wounds or tell her how.

In your book, literally nothing she could have done was correct.
"That's some catch, that Catch 22!"
You're missing the point. She did nothing wrong. The clinic should have done their job the first time she showed up...not the second. She wasn't seen at the ER because they were too busy saving lives.

Abrasions don't need stitches.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 01:38 PM
  #81  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 4,698

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
You're missing the point. She did nothing wrong. The clinic should have done their job the first time she showed up...not the second. She wasn't seen at the ER because they were too busy saving lives.

Abrasions don't need stitches.
OK, I must have misunderstood who you were blaming for having the expensive state of mind. I don't agree she didn't need to be xrayed/MRIed for the simple fact that she had road rash on her ribs--that indicates a possibility for nonobvious but dangerous internal injuries if she landed hard on her chest. By her own account, she was seen at the ER, BTW. They just didn't do very much. If they had triaged her and determined they didn't have time to clean the wounds, they should have at least instructed her to return to urgent care to get it done.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 02:08 PM
  #82  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 426

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post

Abrasions don't need stitches.
+1
How would that work, anyway?
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 02:13 PM
  #83  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,659

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
+1
How would that work, anyway?
Lots of very very tiny stitches.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-11-19, 09:19 PM
  #84  
Dr.Lou
Senior Member
 
Dr.Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
Lots of very very tiny stitches.
And an ice cream cone.
Dr.Lou is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 09:27 PM
  #85  
Turner2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
...Abrasions don't need stitches.
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
+1
How would that work, anyway?
Eight weeks ago I fell and got rash on my fore arm. I wore a hole through the skin about the size of a dime. They stitched it together to speed healing and I am very glad they did.

So yes, sometimes abrasions do need stitches.
Turner2 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 06:34 AM
  #86  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Eight weeks ago I fell and got rash on my fore arm. I wore a hole through the skin about the size of a dime. They stitched it together to speed healing and I am very glad they did.

So yes, sometimes abrasions do need stitches.
An abrasion is not a hole. You didn't have an abrasion but an injury with actual depth.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 07:05 AM
  #87  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,522
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
go into the ocean and get in the sun for a little bit
You donít want to get into most oceans with those kinds of open, festering wounds. And donít go into any lakes either.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 11:08 AM
  #88  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,115

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
You donít want to get into most oceans with those kinds of open, festering wounds. And donít go into any lakes either.
Right!

Both sun and oceans are terrible for wounds. Google V. vulnificus and M. marinum! Denuded tissue has no, as in zero, protection from UV radiation, which kills cells rapidly.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 12:16 PM
  #89  
Turner2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
An abrasion is not a hole. You didn't have an abrasion but an injury with actual depth.
It is if the abrasion goes all the way through the skin.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-12-19 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Removed insult.
Turner2 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 12:30 PM
  #90  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
It is if the abrasion goes all the way through the skin.

Of course it goes through the skin. It "abrades" the skin away. It's still flat. You can't bring the skin edges back together...there aren't any. You can suture cuts, lacerations, deep wounds, etc. I've sutured countless patients in the operating room, emergency room, urgent care, and in combat. So yeah....I'm pretty sure. Abrasions, like the OP sustained, are treated with debridement and dressings, repetitively if needed, as others have stated. What you claim to have had was not an abrasion.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-12-19 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed quote of insult.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 01:58 PM
  #91  
Turner2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
...You can't bring the skin edges back together...there aren't any....
Well that is exactly what they did to me. You stick the needle through the skin some distance from the ragged hole, go across the gap and stick it through on the other side, pull it together and tie. Repeat as necessary. That's what they did and it works.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-12-19 at 02:00 PM. Reason: No need to get personal
Turner2 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:03 PM
  #92  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Well that is exactly what they did to me. You stick the needle through the skin some distance from the ragged hole, go across the gap and stick it through on the other side, pull it together and tie. Repeat as necessary. That's what they did and it works.
I know how it works. Done it a million times. I'm not saying you didn't need sutures...but if you did, it wasn't an abrasion. You had a larger chunk of meat missing. I'm glad you did well.

Last edited by Jicafold; 09-12-19 at 02:08 PM.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:09 PM
  #93  
Turner2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course is was an abrasion. I slid along the asphalt and the skin was abraded away till it was gone and and a ragged hole remained. I was there. I saw the wound. I know what happened. I'm sure glad you weren't on duty. My healing time would have been greatly extended because you would have said it couldn't be stitched.
Turner2 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:14 PM
  #94  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Of course is was an abrasion. I slid along the asphalt and the skin was abraded away till it was gone and and a ragged hole remained. I was there. I saw the wound. I know what happened. I'm sure glad you weren't on duty. My healing time would have been greatly extended because you would have said it couldn't be stitched.
Your definition of an abrasion is incorrect. If you had a "hole" you more than abraded your superficial skin and had missing underlying tissue. Depending on the depth and dimensions of said defect, you could require sutures or serial packing of the wound.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:20 PM
  #95  
Turner2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the skin is being abraded away by the asphalt. Once the skin is gone it wasn't abraded away. So what is it now?
Turner2 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:31 PM
  #96  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 426

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
Your definition of an abrasion is incorrect. If you had a "hole" you more than abraded your superficial skin and had missing underlying tissue. Depending on the depth and dimensions of said defect, you could require sutures or serial packing of the wound.
OOH! OOH! I vote for serial packing!!
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:32 PM
  #97  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Jicafold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 602

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Circuit, Mystery Bianchi 1985?, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, Cinelli Centurion, My mom's 1980 Motobecane Mixte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
So, the skin is being abraded away by the asphalt. Once the skin is gone it wasn't abraded away. So what is it now?
This has really surpassed the scope of the OP's question, however, as stated in the prior message "If you had a "hole" you more than abraded your superficial skin and had missing underlying tissue" Use google for differentiation and education between a superficial "abrasion" and "soft tissue defect". I think enough has been said about this.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:38 PM
  #98  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 426

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
So, the skin is being abraded away by the asphalt. Once the skin is gone it wasn't abraded away. So what is it now?
When pieces of you go missing, I want to say it's an avulsion injury, sometimes reaching the level of amputation. It's a Very Bad Thing, and it's good you sought medical assistance. Care depends on what you are missing, though first aid is the same: control the bleeding, but remember that the blood can act to force some debris and infectious agents out. A small enough avulsion can be stitched shut, with the limit being the elasticity of the skin. Do yourself a favor and perform a google image search for "avulsion". I promise a good time!
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:55 PM
  #99  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,180

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 51 Posts
Closing. This thread seemed to have run its course. Nothing much but bickering the last several posts.
@leylou107, come back and update us in a new thread on how it’s going later.
StanSeven is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mppsu2003
General Cycling Discussion
19
06-14-19 09:28 PM
Gramercy
Road Cycling
36
12-11-14 08:20 AM
Louis
Fifty Plus (50+)
105
03-10-11 06:37 AM
rumrunn6
Training & Nutrition
2
02-23-11 05:11 AM
tkehler
Road Cycling
62
03-16-10 02:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.