Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 09-14-19, 03:38 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I took the Reynolds wheels off my carbon fiber bike and put them on my Purple Haze for a little more comfort and maybe speed at the Hotter 'Hell Hundred. I'm thinking of leaving them. They make the ride even smoother.
That is Cool.
Old 09-14-19, 03:42 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
PO rode it gently on a couple Rosarito-Ensenada rides and then stored it for 25 years. I feel better now after missing out on that Red '89.

After a quick bath.
Oh that IS NICE.
The Classic is such a complete bike. Absolutely everything you could want from a Steel Legend...ENJOY.
Old 09-15-19, 06:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 81 Medici, 84 Turbo, 86 IM, 2010 Milwaukee Road, 2011 RS

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Very Nice MV in L.A. Area

looks like a 60cm. Mine had a 57cm TT.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...978822053.html
Old 09-18-19, 07:43 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 257 Posts
Holy carrotsticks, Batman! That is one &&^%$ hot rod.
I took the Reynolds wheels off my carbon fiber bike and put them on my Purple Haze for a little more comfort and maybe speed at the Hotter 'Hell Hundred. I'm thinking of leaving them. They make the ride even smoother.

Old 09-18-19, 07:47 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Time to call myself out, and promote Bernie

No secret, I've been busy with helping get people to the Coppi event. Also with downsizing my fleet from 56cm to 54cm, building the 54's, riding a few centuries, meeting friends to ride, etc etc etc. I also have a full time job that is kicking my butt.

So, I did not show an Ironman at the Coppi show. Between stripping the 56cm NotYourDaddy's and building the '89 Hard Rock with its components, it was not ready. My Comp TA was, but I didn't take it. My Cinelli-made Equipe was not ready, my Turbo (road) was not ready, and my Turbo (funny/TT) was not ready. I hang my head (cue up Johnny Cash).

HOWEVER....

Bernie was. @76SLT showed his beautiful Ironman at Coppi, and people took pics. He also won the Bianchi award. He also showed the only Crescent, and he had a sweet British bike that remains unidentified, but got a lot of attention.

So Salute the King!

Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-18-19, 07:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 120 Posts
Nasty, baby!
Old 09-26-19, 02:20 PM
markwesti 

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman , 84' Centurion "track bike" , 84' Bianchi Alloro

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Looks like the Greek sold the last one . Maybe ? @texaspandj what you been up to ?

Edit : He has more .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12391707129...m=123917071295

Last edited by markwesti; 09-26-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 03:04 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Ironman Empire....we have a mission:

We are what we are.

The new mission, should we decide to accept it, is a race-ready road Ironman for use where there is 3500' of climbing over 56 miles. For a working mom.

Not a tri-bike. This will be the essence of what the Ironman is, a road bike that can be hammered on rare triathlon occasions.

Frame-check
Fork-check
Headset-check

Compact crankset-check
Bars-not sure, need to see. 38's or 40's.
Stem-check
Seatpost-need a zero-setback
Saddle-check
Wrap-check
Wheelset-check

Cassette-wide needed, 10sp
RD-long cage needed for 10sp
Shifters-needed for 10-sp
Wheels-check
FD-needed for compact double 10sp
Tires-needed, I may have some
Tubes-needed
Seat bag-check
CO2 inflator/cartridge-check

Tire levers (2)- needed

Let me know. We are expanding our dominance. This is how we roll.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-26-19 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 04:12 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Looks like the Greek sold the last one . Maybe ? @texaspandj what you been up to ?

Edit : He has more .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12391707129...m=123917071295
How many of these does this guy in Greece have!?!? I bought one from him and my friend bought two from him. At the time I was told that was all he had left....which is a little annoying. It is also annoying that he never had the forks for these. The last one of these frames that he sold took forever to sell by the way. I am not suggesting that they are fake or that he is making them....they are not a hot enough item for anyone to counterfeit them and I have seen other examples of this frame from other sources and they are the same. The have the look and feel of being absolutely real and I am certain they are. There would be no motive to make fakes because this bike is too obscure and is not sought after that much at all. It is annoying that he was a little bit less than honest about how many frames he possessed. I am surprised that he has so many of such a rare frame. He must have bought out the entire stock for this size that was left over in a warehouse For a long time this frame was impossible to get ...and I mean for years...I know....I looked...I was and am obsessed with this frame. I wonder how many total were made. I am now totally just guessing that there might be anywhere from 150 to 200 frames total. Any thoughts on this Centurion experts? We need your thoughts on this....
Old 09-26-19, 05:01 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I asked the guy how many he has and he told me something like "right now I have only one" which made me suspect he has more.. Prices are going up, I bet he is running out.. I read Mr. Tunes post and come to the same realization. In the end, the thing is physically the same thing regardless of if it was an officially licensed product from the era or not.

How much does a decent 80's paint job and a set of period decals run these days? Its like you're getting a free frame!! If you choose to look at it that way.
Old 09-26-19, 05:03 PM
riva
low end rider

If the intent was to pay tribute to that brand and that era, and the job they did was so good that the most educated on the brand and era cannot tell if it is real or not.. then what does that say about the thing we are looking at? That feat is almost more unlikely than the unlikelihood of a thing from 30 years ago which you happen to love, that thing from 30 years ago happens to be available for you to purchase as NOS in 2019.
Old 09-26-19, 05:03 PM
markwesti 

@VintageTTfan , you have one ? What size is it ? can we see ? The last one and this one are 56's . Well maybe this winter I'll build one , I've already built it in my head 3 times with 5 different paint jobs .
Old 09-26-19, 05:41 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by riva View Post
I asked the guy how many he has and he told me something like "right now I have only one" which made me suspect he has more.. Prices are going up, I bet he is running out.. I read Mr. Tunes post and come to the same realization. In the end, the thing is physically the same thing regardless of if it was an officially licensed product from the era or not.

How much does a decent 80's paint job and a set of period decals run these days? Its like you're getting a free frame!! If you choose to look at it that way.
Yeah it is the dishonesty of it that pisses me off. So it sounds like he did the same to you. I am sure it is an officially licensed product. NO ONE would go through all the trouble to make this as a fake. Centurion (in USA and Germany both) was never a make that was known for respected time trial frames. I could see someone making fake Pinarellos or Colnagos or Rossins or the like. That would be worth the trouble because you could fetch a high price for your fake. But Centurion time trial fakes...No way! It is not a fake ...it is an official product for sure and it was made for German Centurion. My bike mechanic and son who are vintage experts are sure that the frame design and construction and paint are all from the late eighties. I have held a few of these in my hands and yes even I can tell. And by the way good paint jobs are not so cheap.

Not sure if he is running out....it took him forever to sell the last one.
Old 09-26-19, 05:44 PM
riva
low end rider

I gotcha on the dishonesty part.. but still its a freaking TT frame from 30 years ago! NEW OLD STOCK! Look at your username! Yeah the guy isn't George Washington but still.. come on.

Ok I'll shut it and go back to looking for $40 le manzes.
Old 09-26-19, 05:59 PM
VintageTTfan

If the intent was to pay tribute to that brand and that era, and the job they did was so good that the most educated on the brand and era cannot tell if it is real or not.. then what does that say about the thing we are looking at? That feat is almost more unlikely than the unlikelihood of a thing from 30 years ago which you happen to love, that thing from 30 years ago happens to be available for you to purchase as NOS in 2019.
I will stand on my statement without hesitation that there was NO INTENT to pay tribute to that brand of that era. Keep in mind, I am saying this as a Centurion lover.....Centurion is not viewed as being of the high level or having the big mystique that a Colnago, Masi, De Rosa etc have. Someone might make a fake of those bikes to pay tribute....no one would for a Centurion. I have seen a fake Moser time trial for instance that was made by this guy who admitted it was a fake. Moser has that kind of cache and mystique. Centurion is not a bike snob name. I do not say this to insult Centurions which I have many and love. It is just a fact (except the Centurion Equip made by Cinelli). I do not say all this to offend you...I am just saying what I know from years of research on this frame.

And by the way ...I can tell it is real. As to your point about the almost impossibility of finding something NOS that is 30 years old that you happen to want.....I can think of hundreds of examples of collectors finding just that. It has happened to me many times and it is a known fact in collectors circles that while it is very rare...it does happen. I don't get your argument on that point. I think this frame was abandoned or never sold and thus these were sitting in a factory waiting to be found and sold. Okay that is the end of my friendly tirade (which I do stand by).
Old 09-26-19, 06:05 PM
VintageTTfan

I gotcha on the dishonesty part.. but still its a freaking TT frame from 30 years ago! NEW OLD STOCK! Look at your username! Yeah the guy isn't George Washington but still.. come on.

Ok I'll shut it and go back to looking for $40 le manzes.
Okay, I will concede that you have a point..........it is very cool that he managed to get these and sell them to collectors. And I do appreciate that. The seller deserves credit for that so I agree with you. And by the way ..no need to shut up and go away.....all of this banter is meant in a friendly way...something that can be hard to detect in forum land....so we hope you have more to say. All Best.
Old 09-26-19, 06:16 PM
VintageTTfan

@VintageTTfan , you have one ? What size is it ? can we see ? The last one and this one are 56's . Well maybe this winter I'll build one , I've already built it in my head 3 times with 5 different paint jobs .
I have two. One of them is almost done being built. That one is a size 56. It is NOS. The other one I have is a size 52 believe it or not and it is in good shape but not NOS. That one has not been built up at all. They BOTH have the ORIGINAL forks which is as hard to find as an honest politician in my opinion (don't worry I will not go political...I hate that on bike forums). I will take pictures and post when I am done but it will be a long time as I am very busy right now. I do not mind having two as this bicycle has been an obsession with me. Thanks for asking and your interest.

Do you mean that you will buy the frame and build it up? Why would you paint it and what color would you use?
Old 09-26-19, 06:38 PM
riva
low end rider

I'm in the same boat as you.. I want one. But trying to justify the cost versus unknown rarity. Don't worry about offending me.. I'm all for offending people!

Here is some content to get somewhat back on the "for the love of 80's paint" topic..

Likes For riva:
Old 09-26-19, 07:32 PM
VintageTTfan

What a strange Centurion! But I do really like it. Wish I had one but I do not. What do you people think of it? Any interesting historical tidbits? Sorry if I missed anything on this one.

Interesting how it has a straight top tube and a smaller front wheel . What size is that wheel?

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 09-26-19 at 07:33 PM. Reason: bad speling
Old 09-26-19, 07:40 PM
VintageTTfan

This German one is the closest thing I have seen to it. I like this one too. I think there is one of these frames on E you know what. I am not the one selling it by the way.

This pic is nice because it has the original specs.
Old 09-26-19, 08:14 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Georgena Terry design. Still good, still smart, but there are carbon 650c Canyons that are more awesome for people of that height. OK, 25x the money, but that's the allure of Centurions. 90% as good for 9% the cost.
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
What a strange Centurion! But I do really like it. Wish I had one but I do not. What do you people think of it? Any interesting historical tidbits? Sorry if I missed anything on this one.

Interesting how it has a straight top tube and a smaller front wheel . What size is that wheel?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-26-19 at 08:24 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 08:21 PM
markwesti 

Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
I have two. One of them is almost done being built. That one is a size 56. It is NOS. The other one I have is a size 52 believe it or not and it is in good shape but not NOS. That one has not been built up at all. They BOTH have the ORIGINAL forks which is as hard to find as an honest politician in my opinion (don't worry I will not go political...I hate that on bike forums). I will take pictures and post when I am done but it will be a long time as I am very busy right now. I do not mind having two as this bicycle has been an obsession with me. Thanks for asking and your interest.

Do you mean that you will buy the frame and build it up? Why would you paint it and what color would you use?
You have two !? In progress pictures are well revived , at least by me . As far as paint , I'm all over the place and easily intimidated , ask RT . My 86' , when I first got it I wanted to paint it that Pinarello red . The red with a hint of , ohboy I don't know how to describe it maybe a little dayglo . Well anyhow RT came over and put me in the Marine death choke hold and talked me out of it , but I didn't cry or anything .
As far as the megenta and white , it does not really ring my bell . I'm thinking Pinarello red .
Old 09-26-19, 08:24 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

You have two !? In progress pictures are well revived , at least by me . As far as paint , I'm all over the place and easily intimidated , ask RT . My 86' , when I first got it I wanted to paint it that Pinarello red . The red with a hint of , ohboy I don't know how to describe it maybe a little dayglo . Well anyhow RT came over and put me in the Marine death choke hold and talked me out of it , but I didn't cry or anything .
As far as the megenta and white , it does not really ring my bell . I'm thinking Pinarello red .
Don't make me come back there.

Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 08:28 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Georgena Terry design. Still good, still smart, but there are carbon 650c Canyons that are more awesome for people of that height. OK, 25x the money, but that's the allure of Centurions. 90% as good for 9% the cost.
Yeah I have found that out as I opened the wicked evil door to vintage Italian bicycles. It's like..........I have bunch of Centurions and I am still able to dine out....If I go Italian vintage then it is peanut butter and jelly all the way. I saw some of the other bikes Terry designed and I liked this one best. I love this orange color and I am a sucker for bikes with small front wheels for some sick reason. Thanks for the comment.
Old 09-26-19, 08:47 PM
VintageTTfan

Yeah but remember I searched and waited like 6 years to finally get this bicycle. It was a dream that I thought would never happen. Pictures will eventually come but it takes time and I prefer to wait till done. I think RT was right to put you in the Marine choke hold ....sorry...but I hate repaints on vintage bicycles. However, if the paint job is interesting that you do...like unusual then it interests me on that level I suppose. Your lucky you weren't given the Vader Death Grip! I love the magenta and white on this but I have to admit that DumpTruck Juinor's photos made me believe it was darker purple when I first saw it. Here is the picture I speak of.....of Juinor's bike:

This picture still has the power to make me salivate! This is my favorite version of this bike and it is what started my obsession I am ashamed to admit. Doesn't it look more purple here than pinkish magenta? It is deceiving.
Pinarello has lots of nice vintage TT bikes by the way...if you don't know that already.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 09-26-19 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Baad Speling
Likes For VintageTTfan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.