Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

In the spirit of advocacy, I present the fun side, recumbent racing

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-25-19, 05:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

This is a British group, that is generally a 'bent club," racing for the fun of it... and all bikes allowed.

Last edited by genec; 08-25-19 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-25-19, 08:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I mean, who among us wouldn't want to try a spin in that Velomobile QuestXS? It looks like an absolute blast.

But check out the Quattrovelo on their site. Bonkers. And 9 grand, which actually doesn't seem so bad when a fancy Madone is like twelve or fifteen.
Old 08-25-19, 03:48 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Bents, despite the ridicule their riders must endure, are fast as hell. Any mediocre bent rider can go as fast as a group of 20+ upright riders without having to draft. Bents were banned from olympic track racing very early on because they went much faster than uprights.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 08-25-19, 04:01 PM
genec
genec

The cyclist in me would love to give a bent a spin... like on a nice tour. But the road visibility just freaks me out... both of drivers to see me and me to see past/through them.

But this track thing looks like a blast.
Old 08-26-19, 10:40 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
The cyclist in me would love to give a bent a spin... like on a nice tour. But the road visibility just freaks me out... both of drivers to see me and me to see past/through them.

But this track thing looks like a blast.
As a Velomobile owner of both the Quest XS (3 wheeled tadpole (2 wheels in front 1 in the rear) configuration) and QuattroVelo (4 wheel configuration) and 33,000 combined miles between the 2 in almost 5 years I have never felt unsafe or threatened by anyone that could not see me. There is much more mass to a Velomobile than a 2 wheeled bike and the lights I use can be seen for a mile. If someone doesn’t see me it’s not because they can’t see me, it’s because they are not paying attention and that could happen on any bike, 2, 3 or 4 wheels.

I think you owe it to yourself to try one out as the speed and comfort are addicting, to me a Velomobile is the king of bikes. You are out of the elements and head winds become a thing of the past, rain, well, I don’t like it but it is a whole lot more enjoyable to ride than no cover when riding a DF bike. Winter, I ride down into the single digits F with far less clothes than you would need on a DF bike. You will blow past roadies with ease, they are not as hot in the summer as you would think because you are in the shade given the right roof you would use. Sorry to go on but give one a try and I am sure you will be smiling for quite some time!
Likes For Bizman:
Old 08-27-19, 02:02 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Bents, despite the ridicule their riders must endure, are fast as hell. Any mediocre bent rider can go as fast as a group of 20+ upright riders without having to draft. Bents were banned from olympic track racing very early on because they went much faster than uprights.
I ride a bent, and a velomobile, and I feel this needs qualified: on level ground or down hill. Bents can be almost or as fast as a good bike uphill, but a light velo is ~60 lbs, and they simply will not keep up with a decent bike uphill.

Having said that, even with hills, my average speed is higher in the velo.
Old 08-27-19, 02:14 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Two from Olin College, 2008 and 2012.

(They’ve since switched to entering trikes.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-06-19, 01:25 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have a tadpole, it's very low. I don't have the safety issue as I don't ride on roads, but I'd like suspension, as our MUP system is generally quite lumpy.

It's electric and unrestricted, it has long gearing and can go as fast as I dare, but the geared steering becomes difficult to hold at high speed. It's currently off the road (path) as I've been having problems with tyres coming off the front wheels, seems Schwalbe are no good for side-loading.
Old 09-06-19, 01:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Do they only race them as time trials? I'd like to see a mass start race. That would be something.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-06-19, 05:06 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Those crashes are fantastic. Would have been a lot worse without the fairing. I'd be cringing if those were just regular bike crashes, but I could laugh at these once I knew the riders (drivers?) came through OK.

I, too, vote for mass starts. But I have a feeling it would be like horse racing, where they all jockey for position out of the gate. But in this case, you'd have a bunch of wobbly 'bents as they accelerate. It'd be great.

Edit: OK, I was able to watch the original video up top. It does look like fun. I like it when the BHPC guy tells him, "It's not yours, so don't wreck it."

Last edited by Chinghis; 09-06-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 01:37 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Bents, despite the ridicule their riders must endure, are fast as hell. Any mediocre bent rider can go as fast as a group of 20+ upright riders without having to draft.
If you're talking about the fully enclosed very aerodynamic ones, yes.

But not all 'bents in general. For example, I'm riding a Burly Canto now and it's no faster than the upright road bike I was riding before.
Old 09-11-19, 06:30 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
World Human Powered Speed Challenge 2019 Battle Mountain NV September 8th - 14th, 2019

It is on right now. IHPVA - International Human Powered Vehicle Association - WHPSC

I'm a long time recumbent rider, both two wheel bikes and trikes. I really don't get a lot of ridicule. Most of us are slower than fit road bike riders on lightweight bikes. That may be because we tend to be much older than the typical bike riders I see with local groups.
Old 09-16-19, 03:51 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
World Human Powered Speed Challenge 2019 Battle Mountain NV September 8th - 14th, 2019

It is on right now. IHPVA - International Human Powered Vehicle Association - WHPSC

I'm a long time recumbent rider, both two wheel bikes and trikes. I really don't get a lot of ridicule. Most of us are slower than fit road bike riders on lightweight bikes. That may be because we tend to be much older than the typical bike riders I see with local groups.
Racing in a recliner... gotta be fun.
Old 09-17-19, 03:14 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Racing in a recliner... gotta be fun.
It is. Especially the streamlined recliner (velomobile). I'm really slow going up hill, as my typical commuting configuration, the velo pushes about 75 lbs. But I can still catch and pass most 'roadies' on level ground, and absolutely smoke them going down hills.