Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Online anodizing services?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 12:30 AM
xRyan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Has anyone had parts anodized through an online company? I'm looking to get a few component anodized in black. I don't have any local shops that do it, so I'm thinking of sending them in. I don't really want to try to do it myself (fear of messing up). I don't know where to turn for this. Anyone have experience down this road?

Thanks!
-Ryan
Old 09-11-15, 07:59 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Where in Texas are you?
Old 09-11-15, 08:12 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Unless your location is really rural, there's surely got to be some place around that does anodizing. It's a fairly standard metal treatment.
Old 09-11-15, 09:36 AM
ratfink76

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1994 Kona Lava Dome, 1991 Quattro Assi, 1990 Bottecchia Team ADR SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I use Titanium Bolts, Titanium Fastener, Bike Parts Toronto, Bike Bolts to buy all my little bits and parts - but I know they do anodizing as well...

Tom is the guy there - super great guy...
Old 09-11-15, 10:03 AM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Where in Texas are you?
I'm about 60 miles south of houston. I could make the drive but my truck is killer on gas. I've checked yellow pages of all my surrounding areas but no luck. Oh an I'm in Clute Texas
Old 09-11-15, 10:15 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I know of a place in Austin you could drop off at, but that surely won't help you. You could contact Del's Plating Works in Houstin, tell them what you want, and ship the parts to them.

Have they been anodized before? If they have, they'll have to strip the anodization first. The second anodization tends to look blotchy. If it were real important to you, you could sand off the anodization yourself, then successively finer grits, finally polish the parts, then anodize.

That's a whole lot of work for a few bike parts. Probably cheaper and easier just to find parts already black anodized.
Old 09-11-15, 10:27 AM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I know of a place in Austin you could drop off at, but that surely won't help you. You could contact Del's Plating Works in Houstin, tell them what you want, and ship the parts to them.

Have they been anodized before? If they have, they'll have to strip the anodization first. The second anodization tends to look blotchy. If it were real important to you, you could sand off the anodization yourself, then successively finer grits, finally polish the parts, then anodize.

That's a whole lot of work for a few bike parts. Probably cheaper and easier just to find parts already black anodized.
Thanks for the info!
I've contacted a few places in houston, dels being one of them. Most of them are stricky industrial. So far I've found 2 places with a minimum charge of 100 and 75. But they want deminsions and all that good stuff. I'm looking to get pretty much a whole campy groupset anodized, the graphics are pretty worn and I didn't pay much for them. I figured this was the cheapest way instead of buying a whole new group?
Old 09-11-15, 11:12 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by xRyan
Thanks for the info!
I've contacted a few places in houston, dels being one of them. Most of them are stricky industrial. So far I've found 2 places with a minimum charge of 100 and 75. But they want deminsions and all that good stuff. I'm looking to get pretty much a whole campy groupset anodized, the graphics are pretty worn and I didn't pay much for them. I figured this was the cheapest way instead of buying a whole new group?
Vintage Campy?

Here's some info about anodization on them.
Old 09-11-15, 11:30 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
I don't have specific vendor recommendation, but a couple comments on the process. Just like painting, it's all about the prep work. The anodizing will show any imperfections. I don't expect any anodizing shop to sand/polish the parts beforehand, so you will need to thoroughly dissemble & prep/polish all parts. I had some anodizing work done by a local shop and got the impression they just put it in their machine and it's up to you to ensure a clean, prepped item to start since most of what they do is new metal for industrial purposes. If you want a glassy, wet look, you need to polish it to a mirror finish before anodizing. If you want a matte finish, you need to polish to a satin finish (lightly caress in straight lines with a scotch pad after the mirror finish). Existing anodization should be removed (oven cleaner works, there are other products too). Any scratches or blemishes will still show. Not sure what's the best way to deal with bearing surfaces races as I don't think you'll want those anodized.