Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

wrapping bars with campy non-aero levers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-24-15, 05:24 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

q1: do you wrap merely over the lever clamp (without the lever in place) or over the lever body (with the clamp nut already tightened down on the body)?

q2: do you always do it the same way? does it matter if the lever hood can only be mounted from the rear of the lever body (like with campy non-aeros)?

backstory ... i haven't wrapped too many bars with campy or dura ace non-aeros where the hood cannot be installed after the lever is mounted on the bars. i've found these hoods can only be installed on the lever from behind (and it's a helluvan ordeal that way as well). the last time i wrapped bars with campy non-aeros, i wrapped over the clamp only without the lever in place, and i did kind of a crappy job where the wrap wasn't tight enough in a couple places. so i think i discovered it's easier to wrap with the lever in place even though it's more difficult to wrap over a lever with its hood mounted. the dia-compe 204 hoods i use are really firm and don't rollup atop the lever body to allow wrapping over the body.

this isn't an issue when the lever doesn't have such a high, fixed barrel (like with most dia-compes and weinmanns i've had), and the hood can be installed after the lever and tape are already on the bars (fitting the hood from the front).

i'm in the process of removing the scr-5 aero levers of my two '70s bikes and returning them to their more vintage form. i'm stoked. i found some really nice campy levers, but only have a couple experiences wrapping tape over them. both times i wrapped over the clamp only, and the second time didn't go so well.
Old 09-24-15, 05:33 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6917 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 202 Posts
I generally peel the rubber hood back, left in place. bar tape packs include a short piece to cover the mounting band.

though being a black tape Guy , any black tape will do..
Old 09-24-15, 05:36 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
here are a couple pics. the record levers are going on the '76 grand record, and the drilled ones are now on the '73 falcon. i got both for $20 each, which seemed like a bargain. i met a guy in town that hoards campy gear, and he let a few items go. btw, what are these drilled ones? victory? the drilled levers just have the shield emblem.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150924_162749.jpg (91.7 KB, 8 views)
IMG_20150924_163012.jpg (87.7 KB, 12 views)
IMG_20150924_163932-1.jpg (16.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by eschlwc; 09-24-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 05:44 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Nishiki Competition, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
EDIT: I think you may be right about Victory levers.

I set the brakes where I like them, mark the spot on the bars, remove the levers but keep the clamp in place (sometimes using a small piece of masking tape to keep the clamp from sliding until the handlebar tape secures it in place), then wrap the bars over the clamp, then install the levers on the clamp.

Some brake levers such as the Weinmann levers have a clamp that is joined by a nut, rather than a post at the end like Campagnolo levers. These Weinmann levers won't stay in place without the levers attached, so I mount the levers as loose as possible, wrap under the lever, and then tighten the lever onto the clamp.

I know it's a perfectly acceptable practice, even employed by pros BITD, but I've never been a fan of the look of handlebar tape over lever bodies.

Last edited by gaucho777; 09-24-15 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 06:11 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 80 Posts
This is How I Wrap the Handlebar...

I usually just locate the levers, snug them up and then push the hoods up enough to get the tape under the hoods.

You can also position the levers, then tape them into place with electrician's tape, the PVC kind. Once temporarily secured into place, remove the levers, hoods and all and tape away. Then, when done taping, secure the levers back in place, trapping and compressing the tape, under the lever body, in the process. That is how I had to do these Universal levers which sported less than pliable hoods material...

Old 09-24-15, 06:28 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i didn't think of using electrical tape over the clamp then removing the lever bodies before wrapping.

i only have two experiences with these kind of levers. and i usually use cane creek hoods that are sort of easy to roll up on the lever body to allow you to wrap the bars.

but these dia-compe 204 hoods fit and look way better than the cane creeks. but they're so firm, you can't roll them up without risking a tear.

they seem to be getting hard to find too. velo orange has them, but i don't like paying so much for shipping. i had an lbs (freerange cycles in seattle) order these for me for $12/ea.

i don't really care for the repro campy hoods.
Old 09-24-15, 06:35 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
randy,
the black chang-star hoods in your first pic look like they would fit these levers too. i've never seen those before. and they look long (and easy to roll up), which is sometimes a problem with the cane creeks that are sometimes too short to fit perfectly on some dia-compe lever bodies. i hate that.