Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

San Gabriel River Trail - Safe ??

Notices
Southern California Southern California

San Gabriel River Trail - Safe ??

Old 08-20-19, 08:18 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Actually the WORST is when some triathlon uses the SGRT as part of their course - the riders seem to think that makes it a closed course for them.

There are idiots everywhere, not just on the trails. Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Old 08-25-19, 07:49 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1970's Windsor Professional, Pinarello Gavia TSX,Guerciotti SL,Basso Gap, Vintage Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, Mondia Super,Vitus 979.Diamant SLX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mr335 View Post
Sunday the 18th @ 8:17 AM College Park West: There is no Trail Etiquette on the San Gabriel River " making riding on it unsafe , people need to be reminded that when passing the lead rider not the rider 5 guys back to give notice .I,m moving along @ 20 mph when suddenly 4 guys pass dong 26 mph or better , the 5th or 6th guy yells " on your left , the next dozen or so are riding tandem bumping me as on coming traffic are scrambling to get out of the way , now i look and were approaching College park West moving southbound the trail drops 20ft to the right then left under the freeway its dark you can see day light but all i see is back wheels in the air and the dozen riders that passed me moving 26 mph or better crash into on coming traffic , people are hurt , hurt bad once again trail Etiquette , I see the Lead rider of this group an 5 or 6 guys riding up the embankment on the other side of the tunnel , total disregard for other cyclist , The San Gabriel River Trail is Unsafe watch out for groups of knuckle heads racing on the San Gabriel River Trail
Ive been riding the SGRT for over 35 years now, back then the trail wasnt completely connected and on the busy streets you had to cross over the bridges and scoot past cars like a game of Frogger. There were No underpasses and the road surface was horrible with packed dirt on some spots. It was completely Unsafe many decades ago.

Is it a perfect riding paradise,, far from it. But its come along way since the early 80's.

I ride it almost daily and I haul ass on it. I give plenty heads ups, ring my bell and ALWAYS call "on your left" when passing riders. On saturday I almost ran into a group of young teen boys on beach cruisers riding all over the bike trail. I came along side and gave them a stern warning to ride on the Right ONLY.

Instead of getting irate , let people know how to ride correctly,,most of them are a bunch of Noobs out there completely clueless.
Old 09-16-19, 07:51 AM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PSA: small sink hole, northbound trailside, north of 405 overpass.

In the last couple of months this hole has grown enough to hurt a rider. As of yesterday it is 18" diameter and 6" deep. Its only a foot or so into the trailside border.

2 months ago I rolled through when a rider cut across my path into the rest area and I had to avoid him.
It was less than 3" deep at that time.

Not sure whom to call, either Long Beach Bike Coordinator, or LA County PW BC.
Old 09-16-19, 08:11 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Actually the WORST is when some triathlon uses the SGRT as part of their course - the riders seem to think that makes it a closed course for them.

There are idiots everywhere, not just on the trails. Be the person your dog thinks you are.
I could never, ever, be the person my dogs think I am.

That standard is way too high to meet.
Old 09-16-19, 09:40 AM
toegnix

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar View Post
PSA: small sink hole, northbound trailside, north of 405 overpass... Not sure whom to call, either Long Beach Bike Coordinator, or LA County PW BC.
Thanks for the heads up.

Recommend contacting several agencies as it's never clear which has jurisdiction or which will take responsibility / act. That portion of the trail is said to be jointly maintained by the City of Long Beach and the LADPW. The third entity could be L.A. Co. Dept. of Public Works.

An email or online submission with a photo or two helps get the point across, as does expressing that this is a safety hazard that has already led to injury of at least one cyclist and suggesting that they fix it quickly to avoid "additional injuries and liability." They tend to act a lot quicker when reminded of their potential to be at financial risk.

Last edited by toegnix; 09-16-19 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added quote
Old 09-16-19, 10:15 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Indeed. We got CalTrans to replace a wheel-eating grate ASAP when we sent them this picture. Fortunately it was a rear wheel so the rider was not seriously hurt!