Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Old 09-25-18, 06:54 AM
  #51  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,530
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by drowling23 View Post
I don't consider opinions like these to be of any value so just ignore people. Or I tell them "so are you" and leave them to wonder wtf that meant. Idiots will be idiots, and you cannot cure them of their stupidity.
This is, by far, the best answer.

Who gives a rat’s behind what others think about what bikes I ride or why I ride them.

For the record, I am 62 years old, have a whole host of health issues including seven stents and diabetes. My rides include quite a bit of climbing.

i don’t ride an e-bike, most likely never will; BUT if I did, it is no one’s business why I do it.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 10:58 AM
  #52  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


This is, by far, the best answer.

Who gives a rat’s behind what others think about what bikes I ride or why I ride them.

For the record, I am 62 years old, have a whole host of health issues including seven stents and diabetes. My rides include quite a bit of climbing.

i don’t ride an e-bike, most likely never will; BUT if I did, it is no one’s business why I do it.

True, true who cares but I think the issue is raised because the OP knows it is as easy to have personal opinions about it as it is for others to ignore them. But, that does not make opinion go away or change the facts.

To say, 'cheating' has no bearing outside competition ignores a lot of more subtle meanings to the word. How about 'cheating' ourselves? You may be free to ignore unwritten rules, codes of conduct, traditions and customs for a lot of reasons-- e.g., because they're inconvenient or involve putting forth too much effort for the 'reward.'

These are more a subjective notions about what's right and proper and probably change over time but, the use of bicycles has a long history and many who love cycling enjoy engaging in it as a sport, hobby, exercise, lifestyle because making the effort and honoring the commitment that fidelity to an idea of what, for example, road biking is all about is it's own reward.
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 04:15 PM
  #53  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,530
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
True, true who cares but I think the issue is raised because the OP knows it is as easy to have personal opinions about it as it is for others to ignore them. But, that does not make opinion go away or change the facts.

To say, 'cheating' has no bearing outside competition ignores a lot of more subtle meanings to the word. How about 'cheating' ourselves? You may be free to ignore unwritten rules, codes of conduct, traditions and customs for a lot of reasons-- e.g., because they're inconvenient or involve putting forth too much effort for the 'reward.'

These are more a subjective notions about what's right and proper and probably change over time but, the use of bicycles has a long history and many who love cycling enjoy engaging in it as a sport, hobby, exercise, lifestyle because making the effort and honoring the commitment that fidelity to an idea of what, for example, road biking is all about is it's own reward.
I still couldn’t care less about anyone’s opinion. I ride because it makes me happy, healthy, lean and extremely handsome.

Long time ago I stopped caring about the opinions of others—the only opinions that I care about are those of my wife, my kids...and my dogs.

You know what they say about opinions and how everyone has one and how they all stink.

People should spend more time riding and less time worrying about what others think.

eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 05:55 PM
  #54  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


I still couldn’t care less about anyone’s opinion. I ride because it makes me happy, healthy, lean and extremely handsome.

Long time ago I stopped caring about the opinions of others—the only opinions that I care about are those of my wife, my kids...and my dogs.

You know what they say about opinions and how everyone has one and how they all stink.

People should spend more time riding and less time worrying about what others think.

Sure... the OP needs to move on. His old riding buddies haven't changed... they're doing their thing and the OP obviously is free to engage in a different activity that he may enjoy as much or more than riding a bike. For some, biking is closer to a religion than just another activity. The OP runs a risk turning the folks off, bragging about going >50 miles and scoffing at their accomplishments of barely being able to put down 35 miles. An E-bike is sort of a cross between a bicycle and a Moped (some of which even have pedals). Moped rider, however, must obey the same laws that apply to automobiles. I doubt if any would think of riding a Moped as a sport but maybe so if as an Ebike, the motor being less powerful such that the Ebike is expected to be slower that a Moped (20 mph instead of 30) but still is enough like an ordinary bike that current laws say it's okay to ride it in bike lanes.

Personally, I don't have any problems with motors. I've seen motorized skateboards that look kind'a neat. Motorized scooters, Segways… golf carts! Lots of options but, I don't see cyclists being a bit confused about what riding a bike is all about. When you're riding a bike your making the most out of perhaps 1/5th of a horsepower and probably not >1/2 hp for an extended period of time whereas a 500W Ebike I guess would be more like 2/3s of a horse. It's not cheating but, it's not the same sport as cycling.
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 06:05 PM
  #55  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some would say, Vive la différence. Check out the adventure riding video of this Ebike (>1 hp)…

https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler?variant=7399109066775&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gcli d=EAIaIQobChMI7vS4sa3X3QIVTotpCh3a9AvsEAEYASABEgJ2CfD_BwE
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 07:08 PM
  #56  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,832

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts
Thanks! Now I want a Juiced Scrambler.

Looks like a Taco44

Hope the emergency rooms are ready for a lot of scrapes.

Last edited by trailangel; 09-25-18 at 08:15 PM.
trailangel is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 07:41 PM
  #57  
Rootman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,032

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OP here: Well, I finally had my first group ride since I bought the ebike. The one friend approached me at our meeting place (which I have always ridden to, he drives, even before my ebike purchase) and said my 'cheater bike' looked nice. The ride was a bit different, I kept it on the lowest setting until he challenged me a bit and took off, I set it on high and rocked past him. Then turned it back down and let him pass me. We chatted the whole way, I could actually carry a conversation rather than huff and puff and struggling to keep up. The dynamics of the ride changed, instead of them getting ahead and waiting on me, now I was in the front. I pulled ahead in the worst hill. They all enjoyed the ride and I think it was now a challenge for all of us. I kept it in low assist most of the time and didn't push it in their faces or show off, except for the first joking 'challenge' the 'cheater' guy and I had for no more than 300 feet or so.

I am real happy with the bike and think it's a good investment. The 'cheater' guy even mentioned he may look into ebikes.
Rootman is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 08:14 PM
  #58  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,832

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts
Ya. That's the way to ride in group. Stay with the group and don't out run them. I have the same experience.. lots of people looking and asking about the bike.
trailangel is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 08:42 PM
  #59  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Ask them, "Who, exactly, are you 'cheating', and 'cheating' out of what?"

Enjoy riding your bike. Everyone else can **** off
That would be himself, out of the full benefit of the point of cycling in the first place. On the other hand, "cheating" only applies to your intended goal.

For example, I notice people at the gym with such a small amount of weight that it barely provides any resistance at all. They go through the motions, but don't make any real progress. The bottom line is, when it comes to exercise, you get out of it what you put in.
KraneXL is online now  
Old 09-30-18, 05:32 AM
  #60  
kcflyer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
That would be himself, out of the full benefit of the point of cycling in the first place. On the other hand, "cheating" only applies to your intended goal.

For example, I notice people at the gym with such a small amount of weight that it barely provides any resistance at all. They go through the motions, but don't make any real progress. The bottom line is, when it comes to exercise, you get out of it what you put in.
You are correct. I put all this in on an ebike. I am liking what I get out. The only one I'd be cheating if I DIDN'T ride an e-bike would be me.

kcflyer is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 05:45 AM
  #61  
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn’t even engage. Any biker who would even care that you’re riding an e-bike and would go so far as to confront you with it has such an ingrained level of self-righteousness that any conversation on the subject of e-bikes would be a pointless waste of time. Nothing will be solved, no minds will be changed, there will be no epiphany. Everyone will pedal away with nothing gained except a somewhat higher blood pressure.

Just ride.

Last edited by Cuyuna; 09-30-18 at 05:51 AM.
Cuyuna is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 07:36 AM
  #62  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Untrue. Feedback both positive and negative is a well-proven behavioral modifier.
KraneXL is online now  
Old 09-30-18, 10:25 AM
  #63  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like ebiking could be the basis for it's own group. You don't expect a wine tasting at a AA meeting. There may be a different mindset -- not just the ride but a lifestyle leading up to a ride -- that make it less natural and augers against bikers and ebikers riding together but, if you're talking about friends who've known each other for years using bikes as an excuse to get together to have a good time, it probably wouldn't matter if you showed up on a horse. I heard of a group that got together annually for a horseback ride and one of the riders was no longer in shape for it and struck out ahead of the group in a jeep to help organize things at the destination.

Last edited by McBTC; 09-30-18 at 10:28 AM.
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 06:59 PM
  #64  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
Seems like ebiking could be the basis for it's own group. You don't expect a wine tasting at a AA meeting. There may be a different mindset -- not just the ride but a lifestyle leading up to a ride -- that make it less natural and augers against bikers and ebikers riding together but
Well its obvious the twain will never agree. So maybe its better if they're kept separate? At least that way there won't be any confusion when it comes to comparisons.
if you're talking about friends who've known each other for years using bikes as an excuse to get together to have a good time, it probably wouldn't matter if you showed up on a horse. I heard of a group that got together annually for a horseback ride and one of the riders was no longer in shape for it and struck out ahead of the group in a jeep to help organize things at the destination.
I think it would. Part of the idea is the all of you have something in common. To augment it in any way is to give oneself an unnatural balance. Its sorta like that athlete that uses a performance enhancement. That's the bases behind "cheating." They may not say it out loud, but its what's everyone is thinking.
KraneXL is online now  
Old 10-01-18, 09:50 AM
  #65  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,832

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts
"You ARE cheating" .... these are the words you say to MTB riders taking ski lifts.
trailangel is offline  
Old 10-03-18, 05:10 PM
  #66  
Buglady
Senior Member
 
Buglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,343

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post

I just ordered an ebike. (snip) I look at it in that I would probably be sitting at home instead of biking around if it weren't for an ebike. I've also told them that biking 50 mile son an ebike is like biking 35 miles on a regular bike - and most of them never ride THAT far. But the persist and are now avoiding me because I'm a 'cheater'.


Do you just ignore them? What 'arguments' do you use to justify an ebike? I know I should just grow a thicker hide but it bothers me a bit. Any suggestions?

Last person who said "but isn't that cheating" got ALL the gory details of the reason I now have an e-bike... I have photos from the surgery where various internal organs were rearranged and unstuck from each other. Endometriosis sucks, by the way.
Buglady is offline  
Old 10-05-18, 11:27 PM
  #67  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,290

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
That would be himself, out of the full benefit of the point of cycling in the first place. On the other hand, "cheating" only applies to your intended goal.

For example, I notice people at the gym with such a small amount of weight that it barely provides any resistance at all. They go through the motions, but don't make any real progress. The bottom line is, when it comes to exercise, you get out of it what you put in.
This is just it - i'm not at the gym. I don't ride a bike to get fit. I ride it to get from A2B. I ride because i enjoy riding.

Is a car cheating? Is a motorbike cheating? I'm not busting my hips and knees so I can go shopping without being accused of cheating by people who don't get it.

My bike isn't for anyone else's entertainment but mine.
MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-06-18, 01:23 AM
  #68  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
This is just it - i'm not at the gym. I don't ride a bike to get fit. I ride it to get from A2B. I ride because i enjoy riding.

Is a car cheating? Is a motorbike cheating? I'm not busting my hips and knees so I can go shopping without being accused of cheating by people who don't get it.

My bike isn't for anyone else's entertainment but mine.
No, because these make no pretense at being anything other than what they are.
KraneXL is online now  
Old 10-08-18, 06:36 PM
  #69  
MrGhrelin
Junior Member
 
MrGhrelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 13

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker frame with JABOP (Just a bunch of parts), Bromptons, Novara Rondanee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything that gets people out riding in the US is good by me. For another look, from another perspective.
A view from the cycle path: 2018
MrGhrelin is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 10:36 AM
  #70  
john99999
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 2

Bikes: Hebb ElectroGlide 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They said that about the derailleur ...

When the derailleur was invented almost 120 years ago purists called it "cheating" to use one. A true cyclist would never use one and they weren't allowed in races. There is a nice description of this in the book "The Best of Cycling" by Harley Leete which I've attached as a pdf. A line from the book: "... variable gears are only for people over forty-five ... As for me, give me a fixed gear!"

Personally, I'm handicapped, couldn't ride w/o an e-bike, and have no patience for anyone who calls me a cheater -- and I get it often enough.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Velocio.pdf (987.0 KB, 8 views)
john99999 is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 10:10 PM
  #71  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,674
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
What Do You .....

Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Untrue. Feedback both positive and negative is a well-proven behavioral modifier.
This sub-forum has functioned extremely well without your negative attitude. Hopefully, like other haters, you'll be asked to leave.
2old is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 01:22 AM
  #72  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
This sub-forum has functioned extremely well without your negative attitude. Hopefully, like other haters, you'll be asked to leave.
Its not an attitude, its an academic standard. Just because you settle for low standards doesn't mean everyone here shares your lack of forward thinking. I sincerely hope you at least come away with the knowledge that not every comment made is a personal experience exaggeration. Some of us actually read the text books.
KraneXL is online now  
Old 10-10-18, 11:22 AM
  #73  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,674
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
I've been riding ebike(s) for four years alternating with my MTB and never had a problem with anyone. I ride with my wife or friends for fun and don't give a rat's ass what the calorie police or similar idiots think. Most of the time individuals are interested in the bikes, and some that I've met have "converted". If anyone ever says anything about cheating, I'll tell them to "shove it".
2old is offline  
Old 10-11-18, 09:15 AM
  #74  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,290

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
No, because these make no pretense at being anything other than what they are.
Pretense? Wtf is that? You think I'm deliberately reflecting your personal illusion of what you think a bicycle and cyclist should be..?
MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-11-18, 09:29 AM
  #75  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,290

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 92 Posts
There's a hell of a lot of ignorance in this thread. Comments like ''what cycling should be'' and references to the gym. It seems like there are a few visitors from other cycling fields who ride for very different reasons..

Do you preach to 8yo kids how their fixie isn't good for their fitness, or their bikes are too heavy? No. Because they haven't lost the plot yet.

We don't all ride because we're going through a mid-life crisis and are trying to make up for eating too many kebabs.

My bike has regeneration, so I have to work harder, and pedal harder, whilst going downhill, than someone on a manual bike. I have mentioned this before, but it doesn't stop the prejudism.

People are kinda dicks, huh.
MikeyMK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.