Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

10th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

10th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge

Old 02-27-19, 06:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I am much stronger than I was a year ago, simply because I've made a point of riding as much as I can. Can I do it on a 40/34 granny? Time will tell.
I have a "seypat custom" compact triple just for SOTR. 50/36/28 and a rear cluster with a 28 or 30 big cog.
Old 02-27-19, 07:35 PM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4886 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
I have a "seypat custom" compact triple just for SOTR. 50/36/28 and a rear cluster with a 28 or 30 big cog.
Last year I did fine with a 28/28. But I wasn't in shape. Here, I ride year round, but have only headwinds for hills.
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.
Old 02-27-19, 07:38 PM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
No clue what I'm riding. I'm very slowly losing weight, not getting miles in on the road, but on the trainer, a bit. I'm on Central Time, so as soon as we have an end to this miserable weather, I can ride after work (3:30 pm CST). Most likely the Bob Jackson, but I never decide until the day before. This year, I'll have to decide a day earlier, as the trip is now 3x longer.

One new person is @speedevil. He's making the journey with me.
We're picking up @seedsbelize in WV, I imagine.
I will be there, spending the night of the 17th.
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.
Old 02-27-19, 08:53 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
You know I'm there. This will be my sixth appearance.
Was seriously considering changing the Ironman to 10 speed compact 11-34, but then looked on the right side rack and realized that the Merckx Century was already set up that way (well, 8 speed, but whatever). So likely will be bringing that.
Spent ten days riding out in southern California this month, and have been putting in five days a week in the spin studio (I prefer to go later in the day and spin solo), so I'm ready. Kind of.
Plus, there's Eroica between now and then. And Spring!
Old 02-27-19, 11:36 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 263 Posts
So:
rccardr
Spaghetti Legs
seypat
seedsbelize
speedevil
RobbieTunes
so far....

Chrome Molly is thinking about it...it's on his list

Kind of funny, compared to The Hilly Hundred, there are so many fewer C&V bikes.
Must be that the steel anxiety is stronger in Virginia.

Are we looking for a place to eat Sat night?

Old 02-28-19, 10:09 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
So:
rccardr
Spaghetti Legs
seypat
seedsbelize
speedevil
RobbieTunes
so far....

Chrome Molly is thinking about it...it's on his list

Kind of funny, compared to The Hilly Hundred, there are so many fewer C&V bikes.
Must be that the steel anxiety is stronger in Virginia.

Are we looking for a place to eat Sat night?
We could hit that burger/beer joint that is close by. Or hit the pasta place. Or Spaghetti Legs could recommend something since he was a local.
Old 02-28-19, 03:35 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

That 888 place was decent, if crowded. Once I park my truck, it's pretty much got to stay there, as it's my campsite.

Old 02-28-19, 06:52 PM
seypat

Looking at Google Maps, there are some more places to eat in that area. About a block north is a place called The Neighbors Place that has good reviews. Maybe Spaghetti Legs can give us the 411. That place next to the Super 8 was ok.
Old 02-28-19, 07:10 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
I would offer to host dinner again but 1.5 hrs away might be a bit too far ha ha. I will miss be the “local guy” for this. I never really went to dinner in the Wyhdhurst area except for Beer 88. There was another beer and burger place around there that opened up but looks like it already flopped and now there’s a sports bar.

Downtown Lynchburg has the best options - about 20 min drive from the Y. The past few years it has really developed nicely and kind of fun to see.

Waterstone Pizza
5th and Federal - BBQ, burgers, fun outdoor seating area
Rivermont Pizza - closer to my old house, best Pizza in central VA but will be crowded on a Saturday.
Bootleggers - another burger place
RA Bistro - pretty good food with a wide variety - this and Waterstone are best options for reserving a large table
El Jefe - smallish taco joint but has outdoor seating overlooking the river.

Looking forward to this. If the weather is nice I’m probably bringing the Supercorsa, maybe even the De Rosa with the Campy Deltas - look out below!
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '85 Moser, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa
Old 02-28-19, 08:15 PM
seypat

I knew Spaghetti Legs would come through! Now we can go and look at menus.
Old 02-28-19, 10:51 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Just tell me where and when.
I'm not reserving any place after the La Villa Fiasco with the large ladies in their prom dresses.

Old 02-28-19, 10:54 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Photos or it didn't happen (or at least not admissible in court)
Old 03-01-19, 09:36 AM
seypat

Here is a map of the area that Spag is talking about. there are some neat looking choices. Take a look and post what you think. I will secure us a table next week. Robbie has enough on his plate.

Old 03-01-19, 03:18 PM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

rivermont pizza.
Being a vegetarian and craft beer drinker and all.
Old 03-01-19, 03:20 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Rivermont Pizza, because PIZZA. Do we need any other reason?
Old 03-02-19, 11:28 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
Rivermont Pizza, because PIZZA. Do we need any other reason?
Rivermont can be a zoo on Saturdays, but maybe not if we get there early, like 5 pm. Waterstone is not quite as good, but still good pizza. They make their own beer, whereas Rivermont has a bigger selection of beer. I’ve done work meetings at Waterstone in a separate room I assume can be reserved.

Website picture for Rivermont is awesome.

Rivermont Pizza
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '85 Moser, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa
Old 03-02-19, 02:02 PM
seypat

This is why my fitness is lacking. I am a mentor in my son's high school robotics program. We have been watching the students design, build and program the robot for the last 6 weeks. My son's team is the 346 RoboHawks from LC Bird in Chesterfield Va. Today is the first competition. 619 Cavalier Robotics out of Charlottesville has a good looking bot. That would be Spaghetti Leg's home team.

https://www.twitch.tv/firstchesapeake2red/
Old 03-02-19, 02:37 PM
seypat

This is why my fitness is lacking. I am a mentor in my son's high school robotics program. We have been watching the students design, build and program the robot for the last 6 weeks. My son's team is the 346 RoboHawks from LC Bird in Chesterfield Va. Today is the first competition. 619 Cavalier Robotics out of Charlottesville has a good looking bot. That would be Spaghetti Leg's home team.

https://www.twitch.tv/firstchesapeake2red/
After all the qualifying matches are done, the top 8 teams advance to the Championship round. A draft ensues going from top to bottom then in reverse, and the advancing teams pick 2 more teams to fill out their alliance. A team can pick any team they want. If say #1 picks #2, then the teams below them move up. So #9 becomes #8 and advances into the Championship round. #3 picks someone in the top 8, then #10 moves into Championship round and on and on until you have 8 teams of 3. Then those 8 alliances battle it out in another tournament for the championship. It is kind of depressing watching the teams waiting and hoping to get picked for an alliance. Lots of strategy and scouting involved.

Last edited by seypat; 03-03-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 04:43 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts
The Conspiratemus team ("that we might breathe together") will be there with our tandem. We are driving down a few days early (arriving the Wednesday) to enjoy riding and hiking up near the Parkway to make a mini-vacation out of it. See you there.
Old 03-02-19, 04:57 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 View Post
The Conspiratemus team ("that we might breathe together") will be there with our tandem. We are driving down a few days early (arriving the Wednesday) to enjoy riding and hiking up near the Parkway to make a mini-vacation out of it. See you there.
Oustanding, Les. Just over the top to see you again. Mariposa? This gives me reason to get up even earlier to leave and pick up @seedsbelize….

Maybe we'll find you some poutine. Gotta be a diary and cheese factory somewhere. Let me know if you need anything done prior.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-02-19 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 09:36 AM
seypat

If the tandem couple joins us that is 8 so far, correct? I hope they do. Anyone that can pedal a tandem up the mountain is really strong! Maybe I could gain some strength just being at the same table with them. Probably not.
Old 03-03-19, 10:56 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts
...Anyone that can pedal a tandem up the mountain is really strong! Maybe I could gain some strength just being at the same table with them. Probably not.
Ha. Relax. We're not that strong. We just like climbing for the sense of accomplishment even if it takes us a while. And yes, Robbie, it will be great to see you again, reciprocally.

P.S. ...'s funny. Just after this Robbie posted up this thread, I started getting YouTube suggestions for videos about steam railroading in the Virginia Mountains, one titled (and I kid you not) "Thunder in the Blue Ridge". Figuring Big Data was trying to tell me something, I lobbied my stoker/fireman/rear admiral and signed up for SOTR straight away.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 03-03-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-03-19, 12:21 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 View Post
P.S. ...'s funny. Just after this Robbie posted up this thread, I started getting YouTube suggestions for videos about steam railroading in the Virginia Mountains, one titled (and I kid you not) "Thunder in the Blue Ridge". Figuring Big Data was trying to tell me something, I lobbied my stoker/fireman/rear admiral and signed up for SOTR straight away.
I work in mysterious ways.

Old 03-07-19, 06:58 PM
seypat

So I need to make the meal reservation. Preferred time is around 4:30 give or take 30 minutes either way?
Old 03-07-19, 07:21 PM
seypat

On an unrelated note, my daily cruising on the Bay for the elusive and rare Suntour Superbe RD5800 long cage rd is not turning up anything. I don't want the Superbe Tech one. If the Fuji got the call, it would have to be wearing a Cyclone RD or a Shimano. On a cross search, this turned up for $10. I quickly checked the model and timeline. It is an XC MTB rd from the same period. By golly, the cage looks the same as the 5800. I bought it and it arrived today. I will attempt a delicate cageswaptomy/transplant onto the standard Superbe rd. Hopefully, it goes well and heals quickly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.