Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

10th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

10th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge

Old 03-07-19, 08:53 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
So I need to make the meal reservation. Preferred time is around 4:30 give or take 30 minutes either way?
Whatever, whenever. I'll be there, ready for food and beer!
Old 03-07-19, 10:29 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 271 Posts
We'll figure something out. To drive from KY and IN may require some real planning.

Old 03-08-19, 09:15 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
So I need to make the meal reservation. Preferred time is around 4:30 give or take 30 minutes either way?
Yes, we (two) would love to join you all for dinner. 4:30 is great, especially being that one of us will be officially a Senior Citizen by then -- Early-Bird Special, here we come.
Old 03-09-19, 09:56 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 View Post
Yes, we (two) would love to join you all for dinner.
4:30 is great, especially being that one of us will be officially a Senior Citizen by then
-- Early-Bird Special, here we come.
What, no coupons?

Old 04-11-19, 07:46 AM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4886 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Reviving the thread.
My personal journey begins in three weeks, with a tour across Ohio. If I make it to Lynchburg, I may be in search of a ride, for me and my bike, to, or near Charlottesville.
I am still interested in a compact double to borrow. Just for the SOTR. After that you can have it back. I generally ride 170mm, but I will not be picky. I will be carrying removal tools.
I'm currently reviving my fitness level, after a week of the flu. I was in great shape two weeks ago.
Hadley will be joining us again this year.
That is all.
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 04-11-19 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 08:47 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Sounds good. I have a modern compact double, English thread, with cups/BB. I can bring it, and tools. In fact, you may be able to swap it during the drive to Lynchburg, if you want to try it in the back of a moving truck....
Chain-wise, you're on your own....I have nothing for a long wheelbase like you giants use.

I have my Raleigh ready, but am working on the Bob Jackson (bolt holding a bottle cage is stuck and reamed; slow going with drill bit and ez-out).

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-11-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 09:51 AM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

Can't I just put the crank on my current bb? Why get all fancy schmancy?
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.
Old 04-11-19, 09:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Tell us what kind of bike/crank you will be switching out. Maybe we can just switch out the rings or switch out the crank. Or maybe we need a different spindle as well.
Old 04-11-19, 10:04 AM
seypat

Update on Rivermont Pizza for Saturday night. They do not take reservations on the 2 college graduation weekends. They start serving at 5. The lady told me to show up at 4:45 and I should be okay getting a table for the group.
Old 04-11-19, 10:06 AM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

1980 Trek 414, original. The crank is 84? 86? Bcd. I can look that up.
All that said, I like the back of the moving truck idea.
Old 04-11-19, 10:14 AM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

Currently 52/40, with .34 granny. Robbie says sotr can't be done with that granny. I tried to find a bigger cog in a seven speed, but couldn't. I could bring a triple with me, but doubt it will fit the current bb length. And I'd rather not pull the whole thing apart. I could always be the old man on the old bike who had to walk the hills.... . ...
Old 04-11-19, 10:15 AM
seypat

I have an 82 Trek that needs a ST and tubing decals. I will bring it on Saturday so the re-decaling experts can assist me with the task. I'm on Velocals looking to order the ST decal. Lots of options. I need to know what to order.

1 or 2 mil vinyl, or waterside ultra thin film?
Glossy UV laminate, low gloss UV laminate, or Heavy Duty clear Matte UV laminate? Or no UV laminate at all?

Someone help me out, pleeaassee!
Old 04-11-19, 10:20 AM
seypat

Currently 52/40, with .34 granny. Robbie says sotr can't be done with that granny. I tried to find a bigger cog in a seven speed, but couldn't. I could bring a triple with me, but doubt it will fit the current bb length. And I'd rather not pull the whole thing apart. I could always be the old man on the old bike who had to walk the hills.... . ...
I'm the one always walking the hills, even with a triple. By golly, it might be your lucky day. I have a bike with a Stronglight 99 which is 86BCD. That bike has done 2 SOTRs. Let me go look at what size granny rings I have. I know I have a 30t.
Old 04-11-19, 10:56 AM
seypat

If I am reading this right, you will be running a 52/40 double and a 7 speed cluster with a 34T big cog? Is that right? I have a 32T 86BCD ring. I might have a 30, I have to keep looking. If you think the 32T will work better, I can send it to an address in the US. You can put it on your bike before you start your tour. Tour with it, do SOTR and give it back after the ride. It will give you some needed lower range for the tour.
Old 04-11-19, 11:51 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

modern compact double = external cups

Old 04-11-19, 11:53 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

I have an 82 Trek that needs a ST and tubing decals. I will bring it on Saturday so the re-decaling experts can assist me with the task. I'm on Velocals looking to order the ST decal. Lots of options. I need to know what to order.

1 or 2 mil vinyl, or waterside ultra thin film?
Glossy UV laminate, low gloss UV laminate, or Heavy Duty clear Matte UV laminate? Or no UV laminate at all?

Someone help me out, pleeaassee!
Since most of my decals go on powder coats or repaints, I use the 2 mil. If you are going to clear, go 1 mil. I'm a cheapskate, get the cheapest.

Old 04-11-19, 11:55 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

40/34 granny could climb to the ridge, as I've done it on 38/32....BUT...there's not a lot of gas in the tank after grinding that for 13 miles. When you get to the Hills of Otter, the tank is on "reserve" and an extra gear really helps there, then again in town coming out of that private driveway and over to the YMCA, 'cause the legs are a bit wobbly by then.....

Old 04-11-19, 12:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
You shouldn't need anything more than a 32/34 combination. In fact, a 32/24 or similar is all you need for The Big Climb. The bigger cogs come in handy 1) just after the first rest stop, when you take that right turn and hit The Wall; and 2) from time to time during The Hills Of Otter, which are slower and quite abrupt.

If you want a whole crankset, I can bring an SR Apex, prolly 50/34, which also looks the part.
Old 04-11-19, 12:19 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Since most of my decals go on powder coats or repaints, I use the 2 mil. If you are going to clear, go 1 mil. I'm a cheapskate, get the cheapest.
I'll go with the cheapest decals. Here is the bike as acquired. It will be ridden at SOTR someday. Check out the brakes! That's why I bought the bike. Cost me $50. If you can't make out the brakes, they are first gen Dura Ace. This bike was bought for the PO's wife. He switched out the saddle and the brakes. He still had the originals parts which I got as well. She didn't take to cycling so it wasn't ridden much. Those rims are a rarity. Trek bought the rim company and it became Matrix, I think.

Last edited by seypat; 04-11-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 12:54 PM
seypat

After looking at the brochures, I think this is the crank on Seeds bike. If it was me, I would get the gearing sorted out(whatever that may be) before I started the tour. That could make the difference between a good time and a not so good time.

VeloBase.com - Component: Sakae/Ringyo (SR) SAX-5TG, APEX-5 Touring
Old 04-11-19, 02:36 PM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

If I am reading this right, you will be running a 52/40 double and a 7 speed cluster with a 34T big cog? Is that right? I have a 32T 86BCD ring. I might have a 30, I have to keep looking. If you think the 32T will work better, I can send it to an address in the US. You can put it on your bike before you start your tour. Tour with it, do SOTR and give it back after the ride. It will give you some needed lower range for the tour.
It's a six speed, but yes. I will check the bcd, and the fd capacity and get back to you.
Old 04-11-19, 02:41 PM
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
40/34 granny could climb to the ridge, as I've done it on 38/32....BUT...there's not a lot of gas in the tank after grinding that for 13 miles. When you get to the Hills of Otter, the tank is on "reserve" and an extra gear really helps there, then again in town coming out of that private driveway and over to the YMCA, 'cause the legs are a bit wobbly by then.....
I do the 47, so the hills of otter are the only real hills I see. If Patrick can walk the hills, I guess I can too. Vamos a ver.
And, no offence intended, but I don't see myself soiling the OEM Trek with an external bb. The line has to be drawn somewhere. In my world view, cartridge bbs are new tech. I'll use them in a pinch, if need be.
Old 04-11-19, 02:51 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

And, no offence intended, but I don't see myself soiling the OEM Trek with an external bb.

Old 04-11-19, 02:57 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
You shouldn't need anything more than a 32/34 combination. In fact, a 32/24 or similar is all you need for The Big Climb. The bigger cogs come in handy 1) just after the first rest stop, when you take that right turn and hit The Wall; and 2) from time to time during The Hills Of Otter, which are slower and quite abrupt.

If you want a whole crankset, I can bring an SR Apex, prolly 50/34, which also looks the part.
I thought that R-turn to the Wall was before the rest stop. If I've missed a rest stop....

IIRC (which is not always close to a sure thing)… the Preview Wall (which really quiets down all the optimists) is the climb that gets us up and over a small ridge that then descends to the rest stop, past the first photo op, more or less.

IIRC, the first rest stop is where Pat pointed up to the observatory and said "we are going to climb up there." Shortly thereafter, we descend a bit, and make an innocuous L turn, then a switchback R, and then a L and there you go, 7% to 8% for the next 1 to 2 hours, depending on your climbing pace.

At least that's what I've been telling myself....

Old 04-11-19, 02:59 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

I'll go with the cheapest decals. Here is the bike as acquired. It will be ridden at SOTR someday. Check out the brakes! That's why I bought the bike. Cost me $50. If you can't make out the brakes, they are first gen Dura Ace. This bike was bought for the PO's wife. He switched out the saddle and the brakes. He still had the originals parts which I got as well. She didn't take to cycling so it wasn't ridden much. Those rims are a rarity. Trek bought the rim company and it became Matrix, I think.

I have that brakeset. I'm not so sure I'd use them descending Thunder Ridge, but hey, the pro's used them.... That is a sweet bike. Have the calipers got 4mm extra reach in case you go 700c?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.