Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Big/Big and Little/little (sprockets)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-07-19, 03:39 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts

So I have a new Giant Contend SL Disc. It came with the Shimano 105 group set. 50/34 up front and 11-32 in the back (11 speed).

I was told to never drive in the 50 - 32 or 50 - 28, as well as the 34 - 11 or 34 - 12.

When I got the bike the front derailer needed some adjustment so I made it to where I get never touching on the front derailer in either sprocket selection except on the final two gears on each end of the spectrum. Is this normal? Should I have no rubbing anywhere up front? And I am not sure how that is possible...11 gears is a lot!

Thanks yall, new to cycling but I am learning much here.

JAG
Old 07-07-19, 03:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
The big-big and little/little combos are called “cross chaining” and although you want to avoid those combos, you can use them briefly if you need them. Ideally shift the front earlier in your sequence but that will come with time. Learn to use the “trim” on FD to minimize chain rub.

The reason to avoid these is because they do cause more wear on your cogs (as chain has too much sideways angle).

But again, you can use them. Try to make it a rare use.
Old 07-07-19, 03:57 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
The Shimano 105 shifter for the front derailleur has 4 different positions: L-trim, Low, T-trim, Top.

The L-trim and T-trim are there so the rider can trim the derailleur and keep it from rubbing when in the "big front-big rear" and the "small front-small rear" combinations, respectively.

The Shimano dealer manual has detailed instructions on how to adjust the front derailleur. If you follow it carefully, you'll have a perfectly adjusted derailleur.

Shimano : Dealer's Manual : Front derailleur

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-07-19, 03:57 PM
sirjag

Originally Posted by datlas
The big-big and little/little combos are called “cross chaining” and although you want to avoid those combos, you can use them briefly if you need them. Ideally shift the front earlier in your sequence but that will come with time. Learn to use the “trim” on FD to minimize chain rub.

The reason to avoid these is because they do cause more wear on your cogs (as chain has too much sideways angle).

But again, you can use them. Try to make it a rare use.
Sir, thank you for this information!

JAG
Old 07-07-19, 04:03 PM
sirjag

WOW! Reading that PDF....the place i purchased from did not install the backup plate as shown on page 7! No wonder i could never get it set correctly...that 1/16 of play was maddening.
Old 07-07-19, 05:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
That instruction is a hold-over from the past when chains were wider and less flexible.

Cross- chaining with 10/11 speed equipment there's a bit more friction & maybe a bit more wear, but it's not significant.

I spend a fair amount of time in the big/big combination & my chains go ~7,000 miles & the cassettes are fine as well.

It can be tricky to have no rubbing at the extremes, I favor the big/big end since I hardly ever use the small/small.
Old 07-07-19, 06:21 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Newer chains like the Shimano ones handle cross chaining much better than they used to. Still good to avoid, but less of an issue than before.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-07-19, 11:24 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
If you need to compromises your FD make is so it doesn't rub in big big and don't worry about little little. There is really no reason to use little little. You are going to spend most of your time on the big ring and it is nice not having to shift the FD every little rolling hill you hit so big big is nice to have as an option more so with an 11-32 in the back.
Old 07-08-19, 01:26 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Even with a 7 speed cassette I avoid using the small /small and large/ large cogs as a general rule of thumb. Even the middle chainring I prefer the 5 middle cogs.

That said, I will use any combination in a pinch, which with 7 or 8 speeds may still keep the chain angle reasonable.

With an 11 speed I would avoid the sprocket combinations suggested, But in a pinch, I might use all but the big/big, small/small combo, and the 9 middle cassette cogs with the middle chainring.

There is a chart I stumbled on searching for gear inch calculations that shows a small chain angle using the above recomdations.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-08-19 at 01:29 AM.