Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

anyone renew their camp pendleton cyclists pass lately? requirements?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

anyone renew their camp pendleton cyclists pass lately? requirements?

Old 07-19-19, 02:15 AM
  #1  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
anyone renew their camp pendleton cyclists pass lately? requirements?

so my "inaugural" camp pendleton cyclists pass just expired and i'd like to renew it/get a new one.
anyone done this renewal yet? don't remember what we had to show to get it the first time...wasn't it two forms of id like a current
state drivers license/id card and a social security card or just a valid passport or some such?
can we renew just by showing the expired camp pendleton id? guessing no because that would be too easy and
require only one hoop to jump through. i think i used the pass/id 6x this year. not that the ride through pendleton
is a scenic wonder but it does beat traffic whizzing by at a steady 75mph.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 07-19-19 at 02:20 AM.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 08:22 AM
  #2  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 2,137

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Donít know, I never got a pass. Just rode the freeway again last weekend. Good thing about summer mornings, I averaged about 20 mph from Las Pulgas to Harbor Dr, while the cars were averaging 10-15. When itís like that I prefer the freeway to the base.
jimincalif is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 02:32 PM
  #3  
tunavic 
Senior Member
 
tunavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 1,087

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
so my "inaugural" camp pendleton cyclists pass just expired and i'd like to renew it/get a new one.
anyone done this renewal yet? don't remember what we had to show to get it the first time...wasn't it two forms of id like a current
state drivers license/id card and a social security card or just a valid passport or some such?
can we renew just by showing the expired camp pendleton id? guessing no because that would be too easy and
require only one hoop to jump through. i think i used the pass/id 6x this year. not that the ride through pendleton
is a scenic wonder but it does beat traffic whizzing by at a steady 75mph.
A friend got her renewal yesterday.

Driver's license and the expired pass is all they asked for. And didn't take a new photo.
tunavic is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 08:21 PM
  #4  
Cykilist2
Senior Member
 
Cykilist2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 85

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prefer I-5

I did it for the first time just the other week. With a group of 4 total. Your bonus is that you can refill your water bottle and use the bathroom (at the rest stop, 3 miles in). Try doing that in Pendleton. You're only on I-5 for about 5-1/2 miles.
Just watch for radial tire bits...
Cykilist2 is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 09:52 AM
  #5  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 1,417

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
It looks like that after Oct 1, 2020 you're going to need a "Real ID" in order to access a military base.

"Beginning October 1, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security requires your driver license (DL) or identification (ID) card be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight or enter military bases and most federal facilities."
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 03:04 AM
  #6  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic View Post
A friend got her renewal yesterday.

Driver's license and the expired pass is all they asked for. And didn't take a new photo.
thank you tunavic for the update. hope to get my renewed pass this week.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 03:05 AM
  #7  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
It looks like that after Oct 1, 2020 you're going to need a "Real ID" in order to access a military base.

"Beginning October 1, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security requires your driver license (DL) or identification (ID) card be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight or enter military bases and most federal facilities."
hoping to be able to use my passport if necessary.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 04:17 AM
  #8  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,473

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
It looks like that after Oct 1, 2020 you're going to need a "Real ID" in order to access a military base.

"Beginning October 1, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security requires your driver license (DL) or identification (ID) card be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight or enter military bases and most federal facilities."
Less, and less freedom for safety? We've come full circle.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 03:32 PM
  #9  
1joel1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
hoping to be able to use my passport if necessary.
Yes, you don't need a Real ID if you use your passport.

Joel
1joel1 is offline  
Likes For 1joel1:
Old 07-29-19, 05:44 PM
  #10  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Less, and less freedom for safety? We've come full circle.
You're no less free than you were with a regular driver's license but since SOME STATES insist on giving them out to non-citizens, you can no longer rely on a DL to prove you're from California.

It just sucks that CA is so far behind the 8 ball that most of us are going to have to go to the DMV an extra time, rather than just doing it at the normal renewal time (ie I'm eligible for a mail in renewal next March but I'll have to go get one of those new damn IDs). Everybody's favorite activity - going to the DMV
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 07:44 PM
  #11  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 2,137

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
My wife and I are just getting passport cards, we already have passports so not very difficult. By the time my CA license comes up for renewal I may be changing my residency to Idaho. The CA DMV experience alone is a good reason to change residency.

PS - top tip, schedule your DMV visit for a Friday in SLO, take the bike, visit your daughter, make a weekend getaway out of it. Thatís what I did last time I had to physically show up for renewal. Made an appointment, showed up on time, 20 minutes for paperwork, money, photo and eye chart - done. And the DMV employees were very pleasant there.
jimincalif is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 09:54 PM
  #12  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,473

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by 1joel1 View Post
Yes, you don't need a Real ID if you use your passport.

Joel
Case in point: a passport for a citizen inside the U.S.? Next stop carrying papers. Our forefathers gave their lives for these freedoms and now we so willingly hand them back. Do you think they would be proud?
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
You're no less free than you were with a regular driver's license but since SOME STATES insist on giving them out to non-citizens, you can no longer rely on a DL to prove you're from California.

It just sucks that CA is so far behind the 8 ball that most of us are going to have to go to the DMV an extra time, rather than just doing it at the normal renewal time (ie I'm eligible for a mail in renewal next March but I'll have to go get one of those new damn IDs). Everybody's favorite activity - going to the DMV
I'm still waiting for my license that is two months overdue. A nightmare of a system even before the extra burden.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 10:28 PM
  #13  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Case in point: a passport for a citizen inside the U.S.? Next stop carrying papers. Our forefathers gave their lives for these freedoms and now we so willingly hand them back. Do you think they would be proud?

I'm still waiting for my license that is two months overdue. A nightmare of a system even before the extra burden.
Our forefathers did not envision flying without a license. You don't need a passport to travel within the united states either, you can drive, walk, bike, take a bus, train... no papers.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 10:48 AM
  #14  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,300

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
With regard to DMV. I got my real ID well before my DL expired in April. I made an appt. and was seen ontime. I was out of there within 30 min. Would have been faster but the person helping me....told me to go get my photo taken then come back to her for my temp DL papers. When I got back to her window she was ON BREAK for 15 minutes. So I stood there waiting for her to get back.
Beachgrad05 is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 11:40 AM
  #15  
tunavic 
Senior Member
 
tunavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 1,087

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Case in point: a passport for a citizen inside the U.S.? Next stop carrying papers. Our forefathers gave their lives for these freedoms and now we so willingly hand them back. Do you think they would be proud?

I'm still waiting for my license that is two months overdue. A nightmare of a system even before the extra burden.
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Less, and less freedom for safety? We've come full circle.
Such huge inconveniences and so intrusive! Truly tin hat worthy

Tell that to someone like me who hails from another country and still remembers being told not to say certain things in public and waiting in a ration line to buy toilet paper and soap.
tunavic is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 04:25 PM
  #16  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
rode up to o-side and got the id. no line today at 2pm and it took about 5 mins. someone exiting the visitor center said the system “was down” (which it was) and that they were only issuing 7-day passes. system worked tho if you were just getting a renewal like me. the force was with me. proffered the expired camp pendleton id along with the current ca drivers license. new issued id same ugly picture. no cost. current hours are mon, tues, thurs, fri 7:30am-3:30pm. wed 7:45am-3:30pm. closed sat and sun.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 07-30-19 at 10:30 PM.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 09:44 PM
  #17  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,473

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic View Post
Such huge inconveniences and so intrusive! Truly tin hat worthy

Tell that to someone like me who hails from another country and still remembers being told not to say certain things in public and waiting in a ration line to buy toilet paper and soap.
History always show those that sit back blind to the changing time insisting "Krypton is only shifting it orbit". By the time the reality of what has happened is beyond what they can deny, its too late.

Many of the Germans kept insisting the Nazi takeover would make things better and was just a formality and that life would continue just as it always did. We all know how that eventually turned out. There's a reason the study of history is so important.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 09:54 PM
  #18  
tunavic 
Senior Member
 
tunavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 1,087

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
History always show those that sit back blind to the changing time insisting "Krypton is only shifting it orbit". By the time the reality of what has happened is beyond what they can deny, its too late.

Many of the Germans kept insisting the Nazi takeover would make things better and was just a formality and that life would continue just as it always did. We all know how that eventually turned out. There's a reason the study of history is so important.
Yes and history will also show that lacking reading comprehension leads to asinine comparisons of our government requiring real identification for entrance to a military installation and Nazi Germany.
tunavic is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 10:04 PM
  #19  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
this thread went off the rails at post #8 and is unlikely to recover...and i was among those arguing against the natural outgrowth/law of
unintended consequences of the patriot act nearly two decades ago. hope the gleamy info within helps another before the lock. maan...
anything semi-related to the ca dmv is doomed to agitate and provoke.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 07-30-19 at 10:21 PM.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 07-30-19, 10:54 PM
  #20  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2 View Post
I did it for the first time just the other week. With a group of 4 total. Your bonus is that you can refill your water bottle and use the bathroom (at the rest stop, 3 miles in). Try doing that in Pendleton. You're only on I-5 for about 5-1/2 miles.
Just watch for radial tire bits...
if they're doing military exercises and have closed the initial entrance just south of the san onofre state beach boundary/north of the las pulgas exit, your freeway experience is 17+ miles.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 07-31-19, 02:01 PM
  #21  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
if they're doing military exercises and have closed the initial entrance just south of the san onofre state beach boundary/north of the las pulgas exit, your freeway experience is 17+ miles.
17 miles on the freeway + about 10 miles of back tracking.

Technically the freeway is also on the base, I wish they would just pave a bike path and put up a barrier for the entire 17 mile potential detour.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 07-31-19, 07:46 PM
  #22  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,300

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
17 miles on the freeway + about 10 miles of back tracking.

Technically the freeway is also on the base, I wish they would just pave a bike path and put up a barrier for the entire 17 mile potential detour.
This...so much this
Beachgrad05 is offline  
Old 08-01-19, 02:14 AM
  #23  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 59 Posts
itís a busy enuff corridor but something tells me the marine corps prefer to have control over the entire situation. i donít see them allowing caltrans to reconfigure/expand the 5 freeway without their say so, even if it allowed them to close the base to cyclists. something about having your cake and eating it too. then thereís the caltrans budget which likely doesnít include 17+ miles of dedicated and separated bike path alongside the 5 fwy. it would be nice and hopefully in our lifetime but iím not holding my breath.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 08-01-19, 12:38 PM
  #24  
tunavic 
Senior Member
 
tunavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 1,087

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
To those of you who ride alone and not with a club: If you have a Facebook page I suggest you "like" the Orange County Wheelmen page. They post updates, road closings, base closings and other things of interest to cyclists.

My ride to Oceanside about 2 weeks ago was done with the knowledge the base would be closed thanks to reading about it on their page.
tunavic is offline  
Old 08-01-19, 02:39 PM
  #25  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 2,137

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic View Post
To those of you who ride alone and not with a club: If you have a Facebook page I suggest you "like" the Orange County Wheelmen page. They post updates, road closings, base closings and other things of interest to cyclists.

My ride to Oceanside about 2 weeks ago was done with the knowledge the base would be closed thanks to reading about it on their page.
Good suggestion, @tunavic. I'm happy to say I'm an OC Wheelmen member as well as BCI member.

And if you're interested in an organized and well-supported ride down the coast, OCW is hosting the inaugural Pacific Coast 100, with both full and metric century routes, on Saturday Sept 7. This replaces the old Amtrak Century (which is DOA because Amtrak in their infinite wisdom will no longer charter a special train for the event). The new ride starts in Irvine, goes down the coast to Torrey Pines, then ends at a brewery in Carlsbad - all riders get a beer included! Bus and truck transport is provided to get you and your bike back to Irvine.

Check it out here:

https://www.ocwheelmen.org/page/show...t-the-ride-faq
jimincalif is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.