Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Small hatchbacks for hauling a bike or two..

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Small hatchbacks for hauling a bike or two..

Old 08-12-19, 12:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
best to get a sportwagen soon....... I saw a news items that VW will be dropping wagons from the US soon.
What!?! Oh no. That's what I was going to replace my Audi A4 wagon with!
Old 08-12-19, 01:06 PM
Emdawns

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, 2015 Trek Lexa SLX, 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2016 Specialized Hellga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a Chevy Cruze Hatchback. I can fit 2 road bikes inside if we take the front wheels off, and I have a Saris Bones 3 bike rack on the back that is great for hauling 2 fat bikes and even hauls our tandem bike pretty easily. A note on hauling the tandem - for longer drives we take the wheels off and put a little red flag on each side. It hangs over the car just a little bit on each side, but is still well within width limits for any road.
Old 08-12-19, 01:19 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 125 Posts
This could be the only thing close to a wagon left on the market. Ford Transit Connect. Bleak times, indeed.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...view-van-time/
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-12-19, 01:34 PM
notmyke

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hatchbacks are pretty much the only cars I've owned, going back to a mid-80s Toyota Tercel, through a late-80s Chevy Nova (basically a Toyota Corolla hatchback - built at the Fremont factory that Elon bought and now builds Tesla vehicles), and then a series of VW Golf TDIs (1999-2003 vintage) that got progressively more mods / power / torque, and then a 2003 Jetta wagon. Now that thing could haul!

Typically got over 1200km to a tank of ~60L tank of diesel, but still had almost 300ft.lbs. of torque when I wanted it.

Anyway, my usual bike transport method was popping off the front wheel and flipping it into the hatch (rear seats always folded down). Stacking two bikes that way was do-able, but I didn't really like doing it.

With the Jetta wagon, I replaced one of the baby-seat mounts on the rear seatback with one of those fork hold-down clamps, then I could pop out the seat post and simply slide the bike right in, clamp it down, and it left a metric butt-tonne of space still available for whatever we were picking up at Ikea or whatever. Or, we could still have one of the rear seats in "normal" position, so that we could have one or two rear seat passengers (provided they were OK with a brake lever staring at them the entire drive. )

Recently picked up a 2015 Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, and after seeing a friend's Kuat rack, I decided to get a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 (1-ľ" receiver).
They're pricey (like $500USD), but oh my - great quality. Bike locks in within 20sec; no rattling/rocking; flips out of the way quickly/easily regardless of bikes on the rack or not. And no significant impact to fuel economy - still able to get 5.2L/100km at 110-120km/h on empty freeways.
Old 08-12-19, 02:01 PM
balesmachine

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Honda Fit. It will fit standing up. Take off the front wheel and mount one of those f

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
A friend of mine is looking, not a planned purchase....isn't that how it always goes?

With a small SUV and a truck, I cannot advise on this.

Any thoughts, folks?
Honda Fit. Two bikes will fit standing up. Take off the front wheel and mount a couple of those fork mounts to a standard 2 x 6 and your done. Iíve been a happy Honda Fit person since 2009. Carry two bikes in it all the time, when much larger SUVís wonít without laying your bike down. I can also put my tandem in the same way. Just fold the passenger seat all the way back and the rear wheel goes almost all the way to the dashboard. The rear seat is split so the other person just sits behind the driver. Iíve got photos if anyoneís interested.
Old 08-12-19, 02:06 PM
seypat

I think this is still the way to go.

https://www.johns-jokes.com/safety-a...d-van-of-bikes
Old 08-12-19, 11:45 PM
PFH

Bikes: late '60's Zieleman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cardboard

I use a thick piece of cardboard the width of my hatchback trunk. It is the length of the trunk with a folded part that goes up behind the back seats when the seats are up. I fold down the back seats, lay the cardboard flat, put the front wheel behind the passenger seat, and lay the bike on the cardboard mat. Then it's very easy to slide the bike into and out of the car on this cardboard mat. One thing to check: close up your water bottle! This is in a VW Golf. Could probably do two bikes this way, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 08-13-19, 06:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 630, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
Honda Fits have a lot of cargo room for how small they are.
While you can get a lot of unusual things into a Fit, I find that bikes (especially those with fenders) don't go in that well. Even with a front seat passenger, you have to remove the wheels.

So I added a hitch receiver to the rear. Now bikes "fit" on the outside.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-13-19, 06:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
@Phil-gretz, I see what you did there

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-13-19, 08:30 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Also added a hitch to my civic...the car is so low to the ground, that you have to be careful pulling out of driveways, but it's easier than putting bikes in the rear. I have gotten 2 bikes in the back, along with a few bags, but it's more work.
Old 08-13-19, 08:32 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Super Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1983 Nishiki Cresta

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
1967 MGB GT. Sure, youíll have to get a roof rack to haul bikes, but just look at that thing. Dang.
Nope, you don't need a roof rack. I still have my 1971 MGBGT. Some years ago two of us took it to the Davis Double Century with two bikes, two spare wheels, sleeping bags, change of clothes and snacks...INSIDE! No rack needed. It was a tiny bit cramped in there and we did have to take the front wheels off.

My 1971 MGBGT
Likes For davester:
Old 08-13-19, 10:10 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
Also added a hitch to my civic...the car is so low to the ground, that you have to be careful pulling out of driveways, but it's easier than putting bikes in the rear. I have gotten 2 bikes in the back, along with a few bags, but it's more work.
We have rear racks for the Honda S2000 (hitch-mounted) and Boxster (non-hitch), easy to use but OT to the OP. OK, the bikes would get wet if transported in the rain, but on rainy days I don't ride anyway. A hatchback or SUVanover, with bikes inside, does give the security of being able to go into a restaurant and the bikes will likely still be there afterward. Compromises are made -- if I want to be in a tall, tippy vehicle, it's called Public Transport.

If they still made genuine mini trucks, I could live with one again, lowered, with a tall enough cap on the back.

Fit does sound like the best of options mentioned.
Old 08-13-19, 10:40 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964 View Post
We have rear racks for the Honda S2000 (hitch-mounted) and Boxster (non-hitch), easy to use but OT to the OP. OK, the bikes would get wet if transported in the rain, but on rainy days I don't ride anyway. A hatchback or SUVanover, with bikes inside, does give the security of being able to go into a restaurant and the bikes will likely still be there afterward. Compromises are made -- if I want to be in a tall, tippy vehicle, it's called Public Transport.

If they still made genuine mini trucks, I could live with one again, lowered, with a tall enough cap on the back.

Fit does sound like the best of options mentioned.
I thought the Fit drove like a subcompact - poorly. I was not impressed, and think the Kia Soul was a much better car if you value things like safety, not getting blown around by wind, road stability, and comfort.

My next car will likely either be a Soul or an Imprezza.
Old 08-22-19, 10:39 PM
JimR56

Bikes: 1994 Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe (Shimano 7 speed internal hub added); circa 1970 Mercier model 200 (?)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Love my Subaru Outback. **** taking off wheels, I can put down the rear seat backs and throw the bike in whole.
We just bought an Outback. I used to sort of voluntarily limit my bike-transporting range using my strap-on Saris rack on the back of our Accord. Now I'm looking forward to going further afield and exploring some new ride destinations.
Likes For JimR56:
Old 08-22-19, 10:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2294 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by JimR56 View Post
We just bought an Outback. I used to sort of voluntarily limit my bike-transporting range using my strap-on Saris rack on the back of our Accord. Now I'm looking forward to going further afield and exploring some new ride destinations.
You're gonna love it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-22-19, 10:53 PM
JimR56

Bikes: 1994 Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe (Shimano 7 speed internal hub added); circa 1970 Mercier model 200 (?)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
You're gonna love it!
Thanks man. I already do, and I've only driven it twice! Anxious to get my Mercier back from the shop. Any day now...
Old 08-22-19, 11:15 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
You guys are SICK!

I have just what you need for getting Brit cars running in tip top shape:

verktyg
Before rebushing the lower grunnion banjos.....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-23-19, 01:30 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and 98 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
Honda Fits have a lot of cargo room for how small they are.
They do! I haul band eq and bikes. Plus on a 7000 mile camping trip out west i averaged 41mpg for the trip.
Old 08-23-19, 01:39 PM
tashi

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
This could be the only thing close to a wagon left on the market. Ford Transit Connect. Bleak times, indeed.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...view-van-time/

Well sure, if you ignore the Audi A4, BMW 3, Volvo V60 and V90, Mercedes C and E-class...

And even though I'm a wagon lover, I've recently become convinced that small SUV shaped things are more practical for most folks. And are basically the same shape as wagons.
Old 08-23-19, 02:17 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, Torpado SLX, Peugeot PSV-10, Charlie Roberts full touring

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hatchback

Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Ditto on the GTI. I drove my 2 door MkIV for 70,000 miles without a major problem. Take off the front wheels and two bikes fit easily with a few bags and two passengers.

Even better, tho, is the Golf Sportwagen I've been driving since 2016. No need to take the front wheels off.
Everything you need (Apple play, AC, Tex interior, pano sumroof), nothing you don't.
Always had VW hatchbacks, now a 2018 sport wagon. I remove both wheels, take out seatpost, marked with tape, and front bars and stem, and my frame goes against the rear seat, a cut inner tube wrapped around headrests holds frame in place. Out of weather, no overhead roof noise, and better gas mileage. Takes less than ten minutes in or out, just three hex wrenches. Plastic bag over the seat post and stem.
Old 08-23-19, 05:20 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by tashi View Post
Well sure, if you ignore the Audi A4, BMW 3, Volvo V60 and V90, Mercedes C and E-class...

And even though I'm a wagon lover, I've recently become convinced that small SUV shaped things are more practical for most folks. And are basically the same shape as wagons.
I should have added that doesn't cost an arm and 2 fingers.
Old 08-23-19, 06:11 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Do not think there is a modern hatchback that can't accept a bike or two.
Old 08-23-19, 07:28 PM
gomango 

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
I thought the Fit drove like a subcompact - poorly. I was not impressed, and think the Kia Soul was a much better car if you value things like safety, not getting blown around by wind, road stability, and comfort.

My next car will likely either be a Soul or an Imprezza.
Keep it off freeways.

They run forever.

We just put tabs on ours and always laugh about the annual costs to own.

Next to zippo.

Think of it as an efficient appliance.

FWIW My brother recently traded his wife's Kia Soul.

In and out of the shop. Pain in the rear electronics and sun roof.

Replaced by a Golf Alltrak.

Neat car.

Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
Old 08-23-19, 08:48 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I still drove, I think I'd agree with Doug.

Old 08-24-19, 06:08 AM
iab

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 106 Posts
I haven't loaded it to the brim, but I'll disagree with Doug. Classist hatch ...

Coppi 50K 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.