Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Small hatchbacks for hauling a bike or two..

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Small hatchbacks for hauling a bike or two..

Old 08-24-19, 06:24 AM
gear64

Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Miyata 1000, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro, Trek Alpha 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
I have a 1999 Subaru Forester that I bought a few years back just for hauling my bike/bikes around.

With the rear seats down, I can easily slide a bike with the wheels on into the "cargo space".

For 2 bikes, I place moving company packing blankets between them. It has a roof rack that Yakima made kits for. If I find one of the kits I'll probably buy it.

verktyg
I had a suburaru forester when I met my wife and blended our families. I found it comical looking at that vehicle with two bikes on top and four on a big horn in back. Everything just looked totally out of proportions. Man I loved that car.... The Yakima roof racks work great, but pretty high $$$ IMO for what they are, so haven't got around to getting new risers for any current vehicles. Kids grown, but I still use the big horn with one current vehicle. The other I'll just throw a bike in back. Not a bad idea to strap it down though if cargo hooks.
Likes For gear64:
Old 08-24-19, 09:12 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
I haven't loaded it to the brim, but I'll disagree with Doug. Classist hatch ...

Coppi 50K 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr
I'm sure that is a great car, I find most modern cars to be incredibly bland.

I was shuttled around in a modern BMW 5 series for the better part of a year, ugh, no thanks, I much preferred the previous generation Buick minivan that was waay more quirky and familiar.

If I wanted classy, Rolls Royce or nothing.

Last edited by SHBR; 08-24-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 10:34 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 47 Posts
I normally drive a 4x4 campervan and that makes a nice change room too but sometimes my old Alfa does the job.

Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 08-25-19, 07:09 AM
gomango 

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
I normally drive a 4x4 campervan and that makes a nice change room too but sometimes my old Alfa does the job.
I always had a soft spot for this car.

FWIW I had a 1974 AR GTV and I can't even remember why I sold it. Cool car, fun to drive but not so nice to maintain if I recall.

Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
Old 08-25-19, 07:45 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I always had a soft spot for this car.

FWIW I had a 1974 AR GTV and I can't even remember why I sold it. Cool car, fun to drive but not so nice to maintain if I recall.
Yes should have kept it the old GTV's are worth a pretty penny now. My 33 is the last of the "real" Alfa's before Fiat took over. I bought this one home on a trailer a $250 wreck with the front panels removed and engine in pieces. I totally rebuilt it mechanically front to back fixed some body work respraying it and polishing the rest. Had the car 7 or 8 years now, possibly the most reliable car I've owned I think. Only done regular oil coolant changes and the cam belts at the correct intervals.
There's a 83 Sprint in the garage too just ticked over 50,000km's genuine
Old 08-25-19, 08:02 AM
iab

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
I find most modern cars to be incredibly bland.
Yup. Pretty much all the same. But there is no doubt the comfort of modern cars is unparalleled.

Does Rolls make a hatch? I like a small car where it is easy to load 12' lumber. And now that I have a taste of the Clubman's awd, I ain't giving that up. I'd prefer a 2-door with awd and I was really hoping the Cooper SE (electric) would have awd, but it doesn't. Never cared for the wrx styling, and I find the driving of most Subaru owners to be annoying.
Old 08-25-19, 09:54 AM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 59 Posts
Rewind mid 1980s and two cars I really, really miss. Wouldn't call them hatch backs and with the worst storage boots and / or rear seat access -- 1983 Audi turbo Quattro (ur) coupe and 1984 Alfa GTV-6.

Never hauled a bike on or in the Alfa but did have a roof rack for the Audi.

Honorable mention is the 84 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, last series of the raw, sans power steering, seats and electric garbage, cup holders, etc.. But, like the above not much practicality in cargo. Roof rack required for hauling any bike.

None of the above had ABS, hair bags and nominal emissions. Matter of fact, all above were modded enough where they cleanly passed state emissions without catalytic converter.

All were very reliable but required a DIY to minimize the expense of ownership.

Count me in the category of bored by today's cars. Common minivans could probably compete with the above on a track (lol) but the experience is so bland. Yet the modern performance cars are mind bending capable but offer zero DIY service (equates $$$$ service) and frankly, that overkill suspension, brakes and horsepower is useless for suburbia. Add the rear view cams (new req.), to power glove box doors... good lord.
Old 08-25-19, 05:00 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 272 Posts
Well, I think some of the posts will be useful to my friend. Maybe she can survey the cars at Coppi and get some tips.

Old 08-25-19, 05:24 PM
iab

Mine won't be there. Gotta borrow a minivan, hauling too much crap.
Old 08-25-19, 07:20 PM
balesmachine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Honda Fit is the best car for cyclist

I've had three honda fits so far. I think they are the best for hauling your bikes to and from rides. There's not much extra space, but there's enough space if you pack smartly. My wife and I regularly take two bikes, camping gear, guitar, small ice chest. We've even taken our tandem in this car. Check out the photos and see for yourself. This car has magical room inside.

Two single road bikes in Honda Fit

tandem in Honda Fit

These are the Honda Fits Ive owned so far. 2009, 2013, 2016

This is the three Honda Fits we've owned so far.
Old 08-25-19, 08:06 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Yup. Pretty much all the same. But there is no doubt the comfort of modern cars is unparalleled.

Does Rolls make a hatch? I like a small car where it is easy to load 12' lumber. And now that I have a taste of the Clubman's awd, I ain't giving that up. I'd prefer a 2-door with awd and I was really hoping the Cooper SE (electric) would have awd, but it doesn't. Never cared for the wrx styling, and I find the driving of most Subaru owners to be annoying.
I wouldn't know.

Minivans are hard to beat for versatility.

Style is overrated.
Old 08-25-19, 08:14 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 126 Posts
I had one of the last of the V8 Intercepters. This angry guy named Max stole it out of my garage. He took it for a joyride and killed a bunch of outlaw bikers including a guy named the Toecutter. He ended up blowing up the car in a dispute with some more outlaws and this Humungous dude. Last I heard, he was driving a tanker rig out in the Wasteland. Man, I sure loved that car.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-25-19, 08:49 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 59 Posts
Certainly not for the interstate / autobahn / rush hour 5000 but back roads are more fun, anyway.

Giants of the industry, Alec with Enzo and 'his' car.

Sir Alexander Arnold Constantine Issigonis and Enzo Anselmo Giuseppe Maria Ferrari

Old 08-25-19, 10:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 120 Posts
^^^^^ So do you have to split your number plate in two, to be able to open the back doors on that original Clubman/Countryman?

Back when I used to commute with a Rans semi-recumbent, I pulled it up, with a Bykaboose trailer behind, next to an original Mini like that ^^^^^^^ . It was longer than the Mini.
Old 08-26-19, 02:06 AM
jbchybridrider 

There was a van version mini with barn style doors too. There's a few rotting at home here.
Old 08-26-19, 09:25 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '07 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts

Had a 2003 Honda Element auto and loved it. LOVED IT. But I switched it up due to mpg's around 22 and the need to drive 500 miles a week for a job. Kept the car and everyone borrowed it for the next 5 years. Finally my brother in law borrowed it for 5 months and returned it with the transmission destroyed. Kept using if for another year and then gave it to the local public radio station to auction off. I'd have kept it forever otherwise. Most practical thing I have ever known, camped in it, moved a Washer AND Dryer in it, went to swap meets and used it as a display area, repaired bikes out of the back of it, used to transfer whole collections of art, and road tripped in it. 190k of fun.

That said. Any vehicle with a hitch and a hitch rack I think is the best way to cruise around bikes. That or pony up to the convenience of a minivan.
Old 08-26-19, 06:03 PM
iab

Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
I wouldn't know.

Minivans are hard to beat for versatility.

Style is overrated.
Too big.

And while you may love it, normcore ain't for me.
Old 08-26-19, 06:40 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
HONDA FIT

I have experienced the space that the 1st generation model has (2002-2008 JAZZ -worldwide- called FIT in USA 2007-2008 models).

I'd expect that the 2019 and 2020 Honda FIT to have at least the same Huge area when in two seater form.........Magic seats DOWN in back!

It is also perhaps one of the most reliable, well-built vehicles on the planet.

You might be interested to know that the HONDA FIT does not have a timing belt. It has a timing Chain which is said to be specified to last the entire lifespan of the vehicle ( 250,000 + miles).

*****Note to Anyone considering an OLDER, USED, Honda Fit.............................BE CERTAIN THAT THE PRIOR OWNER DID HAVE THE Takata Airbag RECALL TAKEN CARE OF...........................if not have that done immediately......................Any HONDA Dealership will handle this FREE if it hasn't been done already. If you own or are considering any other vehicle that is subject to the TAKATA recall, get it done Tomorrow...Do Not Wait. Possible metal, grenading when the airbag deploys in an accident..............serious, yes!
Old 08-28-19, 03:31 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

I think the responses have helped to convince her to keep her Outlander.

I did look seriously at a Honda Fit, especially when the salesman was keen on
showing me HOW I COULD SLEEP IN MY CAR!? Really?

Nonetheless, there was one in the showroom, windows down, no key in the ignition.
So, of course I opened the door. So of course the alarm went off.
So, of course, the key was on a rack with a dozen others.
It was embarrassing, but also fairly fun to watch the sales folks take turns.
We sort of slunk out of there and the next day got a red Civic Si.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-28-19 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 03:49 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
You might be interested to know that the HONDA FIT does not have a timing belt. It has a timing Chain which is said to be specified to last the entire lifespan of the vehicle ( 250,000 + miles)
Same with certain years of the CRV.

But a certain dealer that I'll not name was selling the heck out of timing belts and of course water pumps to people with timing chains in their cars.

Our CRV went in for a fluid change, not a problem in 155,000 miles. First, they told us we needed a timing belt and water pump. Overnight, I researched and realized "no timing belt." I called back, "um, just do the oil change and the ATF/Rear end fluids."

Got it back, no heat.
"Oh, Mr. RobbieTunes, you need a water pump."
"I didn't need one yesterday."
"We'll only charge you parts."
"OK."

Car arrives home, wallet less $400. Immediately pukes about 1/2 quart of oil (old oil) onto the pristine garage floor.

"We'll come and get the car, and clean the garage floor."
"OK."
"Mr. RobbieTunes, you need an oil bearing."
"I didn't need one two days ago."
"We'll only charge you parts."

Hmm, time to go see the dealership GM, after calling two friends, one of whose parents also owned the same year CRV and had just paid to have the non-existent timing belt replaced.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Mr. RobbieTunes."
"Yes, and I'll take the remfg engine you are offering."
'We aren't."
"Really? Did your mechanics and service department touch my car?"
"Yes."
"Well, there you go. I think for the price of a full-page ad on the back of the newspaper's front section ($800), maybe I should alert the public with these facts, maybe throw in Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, too...."
"OK, we'll put an engine in it."
"Thanks, don't forget to swap over that new water pump."

As far as I know, the same service writers are still on the job in that Honda repair department.
I let them work on my G6 GTP because they were a Pontiac dealer, which was a whole other building, and mechanics are nice to fast cars.
I did notice they cranked up the stereo on test drives. It had the Monsoon system, so I understood. Same with the 4-panel sunroof.

The CRV now has 203,000, still doesn't need a timing belt or water pump, but it did hit a bear and the L/R window won't go up all the way.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-28-19 at 03:59 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 08-28-19, 05:05 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
We’ve really grown attached to VW the last few years.

We currently have a 2019 Golf Alltrack and a 2019 Golf R. Both are incredible cars. The Alltrack is seemingly built for MN. Great in all aspects in addition to mixed terrain and winter. The Golf R just puts a smile on your face. Good power in a car that size in addition to the 4motion is something that you just need to drive to experience.

Both fit bikes well with obviously the Alltrack having a ton more space.
Old 08-28-19, 05:12 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
Yes should have kept it the old TV's are worth a pretty penny now. My 33 is the last of the "real" Alfa's before Fiat took over. I bought this one home on a trailer a $250 wreck with the front panels removed and engine in pieces. I totally rebuilt it mechanically front to back fixed some body work respraying it and polishing the rest. Had the car 7 or 8 years now, possibly the most reliable car I've owned I think. Only done regular oil coolant changes and the cam belts at the correct intervals.
There's a 83 Sprint in the garage too just ticked over 50,000km's genuine
its always funny how many vintage bike people also had alfa romeo. I have had 3 spiders and one gtv (oh.. the RUST!.. it was an import from Canada...) and would love another gtv but the prices are outrageous now.

I also had a Lancia for a minute. I should have kept it but i had a money crisis and had to let it go. I regret that quite a bit. of course.. I still have 2 Moto Morini and a Guzzi to keep me happy...

to stay on topic: We recently got a Kia Soul (so +1 to earlier posts), which is a decent little cheap hatchback- sort of like a mini ford transit. we got an older model (I have yet to ever buy anything vehicle related that was new until this year! electric bicycle for my wife! ok.. maybe a skateboard or two before that)which are a bit larger and less "cool"- basically a box. good for bikes and all sorts of things!

Last edited by jetboy; 08-28-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 07:50 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I understand the conversion kits are still available for:

Old 08-30-19, 07:21 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Apparently you can live in a Tesla.

Old 08-31-19, 12:56 AM
Giuanin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Bernard Hinault 1982

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.