Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Difference between Team Gerolsteiner and S-Works Tarmac?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 08:58 AM
MonsterMaxx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a Team Gerolsteiner Tarmac. I was told that it's an S-works Team Gerolsteiner, but there are no markings to indicate that it's an S-works.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Are the Team Gerolsteiner frames S-Works by default or did I get boned with a lower end frame?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TeamGerolsteiner.jpg (52.3 KB, 293 views)
Old 03-10-06, 09:09 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Did you pay $3K+ for the frame? If not it's not the one Levi rides.

So WHAT. God this whole S-Works thing is ********. I come home with a Specialized catalog 6 months ago only to learn I need the top-secret-my-LBS-doesn't-have-it 'S-Works' catalog. It doesn't get dumber than that weenies.

Hardly surprising. These are the same marketing idiots that came up with what may be the WORST cycling related TV commercial EVER (the one they were showing on last year's TDF).
Old 03-10-06, 09:13 AM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a regular model of tarmac frame used for the $2300/2800/3300 bikes, there's the S-Works tarmac, and then the S-Works Tarmac SL, which is even lighter.

weigh your frame and find out what it is, the SL should come in under 1100g.
Old 03-11-06, 05:45 AM
jimaizumi
Whats your MO?

Bikes: Spesh Tarmac S-Works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Theres no need to weigh your frame. The S-WORKS Gerolsteiner Tarmac only comes in a black carbon.....Either you didnt look carefully or you didnt really buy the frame.....If you look at the front of the headtube, where the steerer column fits, its clearly labelled "S-WORKS".....I can even see it in your picture!
Attached Images
s-works.jpg (84.3 KB, 256 views)
Old 03-11-06, 05:55 AM
jimaizumi
Whats your MO?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah, I was also very disappointed when this years Specialized catalog didnt list the new Tarmac lineup Apparently the high end SPR models are no longer listed....bummer!
Old 03-11-06, 06:04 AM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get your catalog at the LBS? Just go to their website, request a catalog, and they will send you 3 (S-works, the normal bike line, and the body geometry clothing catalog

Edit: Nice frame!
Old 03-11-06, 06:43 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Ok so the question really come down to what you paid. There are 3 frames in the 06 lineup with Gerolsteiner logos and 2 of them are S-Works.

The Elite is sold as a complete bike only so if you got this frame it would have been a bike someone stripped down MSRP for the BIKE is $2800:

The S-Works Tarmac is next up the food chain. This is NOT the bike Levi rides but some of the team does. FRAME prise is $2800 MSRP:

And lastly the S -Works Tarmac SL IS the bike Levi rides. Frame price for this one is $3800 MSRP (both S-Works frames include frame, fork, seatpost, and headset):

Best thing to do would be to get the SN off the frame and contact Specialized customer service.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 03-11-06 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-11-06, 07:58 AM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at the seat tube / seat stay junction, he definitely doesn't have a SL. The SL's seat tube has less of an aero cutout for the wheel, it more closely resembles a normal round tube for a longer distance.

The regular S-Works frame ($2800)'s seat tube is fatter for the few inches below the top tube.
Old 03-11-06, 08:19 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless, thats an awesome looking frame. Just hope you got what you paid for, Cheers!
Old 03-11-06, 09:51 AM
MonsterMaxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks. Yea, I'm a bonehead. The S-works is on the neck and I just didn't notice it (looks like the std Specialized logo, but with s-works in small letters too), but did about a half hour after I posted this.
All the S-works bikes I've seen in the past have "S-Works" lettered on the tubes like in the above pics and I just didn't notice it and got panicky that the seller hosed me. D'oh.

This is an '05 frame which I married with '04 Dura-Ace stuff from a bike that UPS mangled the frame on. Best I can tell this frame is new.
I didn't pay $3k for the frame either, considerably less. In fact, I dont' have $3k in the whole bike.

It's almost all together now, if I could just find the darn chain. It's been a long road on this bike which I got last summer and have never ridden due to UPS's negligance. Only thing worse than that is their claims dept.
They are such a horrible company to deal with it's just amazing.

Here it is in all it's glory

I still need to install the chain, pedels & computer and adjust it. I'm hoping to ride it for the first time today or tomorow.

It's very light and IMHO nice looking too. I'm looking forward to riding it.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the bonehead question.
Old 03-11-06, 04:36 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VERY nice bike. In fact I like it better than my OCLV. I wonder if I should patronize my buddie's new shop.... hmmmm! He's a Specialized dealer.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 03-11-06, 04:37 PM
jimaizumi
Whats your MO?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hurry up and get the chain/pedals, u'll love the ride....I'm actually writing this reply as I get ready for my Sunday 7:30 70km ride....now if my coffee dripper would perk faster, Argh! Congrats, u'll love it!
Attached Images
DSC05678a.jpg (53.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 03-11-06, 07:48 PM
MonsterMaxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found the chain. Got the Candy's off the MTB. Installed the computer. Adjusted it best I could and took off on a shakedown ride.

My normal road loop that I do regularly on the MTB is 12mi (45-50min) and I set off on a checkride. Did a few stops and adjusts in the first few miles and then settled in to some deep breathing & zoned in. This thing is light and fast, much quicker than the Epic. The smallest body changes change it's direction (a little too twitchy at times.) Smooth though, and while it’s a lot rougher than a full suspension mtb it’s not overly harsh. I did hit a couple teeth rattlers, guess I need to learn to dodge these.

Whew, what a ride. Got in the zone and felt like it was flying - WOW. So I sheared off the loop and explored (got a little lost.) Ended up a 19mi ride in a little over an hour. I’m sure that’s dead dog slow for you guys, but that’s smoking for me!

My hands hurt a bit in the palms and I couldn’t get quite comfortable in the controls, though I’d stabbed one palm with the sprocket taking the pedals of the mtb. Still, felt as though it wasn’t fitting me so I called the LBS and asked if they could help me with fitting, they said sure, come on. I had the seat pretty far back, otherwise it’s ready for another tomorrow. They have some gloves with extra padding in the palms which I got (should say: ordered a color they didn’t have in stock.)

While I don’t have much to compare to due to inexperience, I sure do like this bike. Feathery light, but very crisp handling and I felt very much at one with it.
My girlfriend snapped this pic when I got back.

All these little country back roads where cars are rare that I can ride

This is pretty hilly terrain, though the hills aren't real long. Roads can be a bit rough. There are a few nice long flat areas for speed runs, though by the time I got to the best one I was a bit burnt and didn’t try for a top speed (comp says I hit 38).

Can’t wait for tomorrow…

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 03-11-06 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 08:21 PM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great looking bike. oh and the 1980s called, they want their bike shorts & their socks back.
Old 03-11-06, 08:32 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Great looking bike...err dump the yellow warning sticker at the top of the seat tube. Not going to coment on the shorts.

Man I love Specialized bikes.

cydewaze - of course you should Paul...Jess needs a Ruby not a Madone.
Old 03-11-06, 09:10 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's one nice S-Works. Congratulations!!
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 03-11-06, 10:47 PM
MonsterMaxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'80s? ha ha. Pretty funny. More like '95 but whatever, point taken.
Didn't even know there was such a thing as special biking socks...
I can only imagine what y'all would have said if she'd gotten a pic of me training in Jan, grey sweats and all.
Stickers, yea. Know. Hasn't even been waxed yet. Photochopped it out for you

And I like Specialized, don't get me wrong, I do, but jeez, did they really have to put it in huge letters ten times on this bike?

Does anyone sell stripes (vynal or otherwise) that I can use to decorate it and cover one or three of them up. I'd really like to cover the huge ones on the downtube and seat tube too. The ones in the blue areas look good. Surely someone makes something like this, no?
Old 03-12-06, 07:49 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
'80s? ha ha. Pretty funny. More like '95 but whatever, point taken.
Didn't even know there was such a thing as special biking socks...
I can only imagine what y'all would have said if she'd gotten a pic of me training in Jan, grey sweats and all.
Stickers, yea. Know. Hasn't even been waxed yet. Photochopped it out for you

And I like Specialized, don't get me wrong, I do, but jeez, did they really have to put it in huge letters ten times on this bike?

Does anyone sell stripes (vynal or otherwise) that I can use to decorate it and cover one or three of them up. I'd really like to cover the huge ones on the downtube and seat tube too. The ones in the blue areas look good. Surely someone makes something like this, no?

I think the shorts kind of match the bike. BTW, who makes that bike?
Old 03-12-06, 08:02 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
cydewaze - of course you should Paul...Jess needs a Ruby not a Madone.
Bleh, then I'd have $500 worth of gift certs from my LBS that would be sitting around. I'd also have to decide whether to sell my Trek whole and buy a Tarmac, or strip it down and sell the frame and buy a Tarmac frame. Too much thinking.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-11-14, 06:55 AM
ps75

Bikes: Specialized S-Works SL Gerolsteiner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a original Team Bike from Team Gerolsteiner. tarmac SL s-works

Attached Images
Foto.jpg (47.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-11-14, 09:24 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brains
Old 09-15-19, 05:12 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Hi,
I know this is an old post but can anyone let me know what they think a Specialized Tarmac Gerolsteiner, that is not an S-Works (with Shimano 105 gruppo), is worth today?

I found a seller in another state, so far no info as to serial number. I’ve looked online but I’m having a hard time finding info on it. I’d appreciate any advice you may provide in regard to what you think a fair price would be and whether it’s a good bike.

i have a vintage bike that’s not my size and I’d like to get into road riding. I’ve tested 3-4 bikes, 2 vintage and 2 at different LBS and I’m pretty certain a 54cm size (which this Tarmac is) is right for me.

Thanks!