Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 09-14-19, 12:10 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 81 Posts
Found this old Rocky Mountain on my way home from the city, today. Everything works just fine and might even go for a short spin later today. Not sure what to do with it but the wheel set just might go to Jamaica with me at the end of October...
Old 09-14-19, 01:04 PM
Murray Missile 
Bike hoarder.

Bikes: Not near as many as there was awhile ago.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Brought this one owner 1979 Soma Prestige home today. Gave it a good degreasing and there's more to do later, corrected a couple mechanical mistakes, freed up a stuck shifter cable and adjusted the saddle and bars. I gave less than $100 for it and except for more cleaning to do and some liberal lubricating it's ready for the next Clunker Challenge.

Old 09-14-19, 08:47 PM
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 119 Posts
Was watching this Novara Ponderosa on CL for no particular reason, as the price kept coming down I threw out an offer of $25 and it was accepted. I think I will clean it up, tune it up, loose the book clamp (it was a trainer bike) and the bull horns, add some new grips and sell it on, I did notice while test riding it that it fits me pretty nicely....... I figure about 1988 due to the under the chainstay rear u brake.

Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-14-19, 11:18 PM
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
Found this old Rocky Mountain on my way home from the city, today. Everything works just fine and might even go for a short spin later today. Not sure what to do with it but the wheel set just might go to Jamaica with me at the end of October...
Not a fan of how Aluminium rides but I do appreciate the cool tube shapes they get from hydro-forming, nice Score @randyjawa
Old 09-15-19, 03:05 PM
Murray Missile 
Bike hoarder.

No "good" pics yet but this morning I went to pick up a Thule roof rack and a tall red bike frame I saw in a FB ad with these pics. Who can find the tall red bike LOL? I think I'm going to call it "Waldo". The guy told me there are 2 more trailer loads at another location. He had this load in a storage unit when I got there and there was some interesting stuff in there, I wish I would have had more time to go through all the boxes of parts he had.

The rack needs a little paint touch up but is complete with locks. It's for my kid, he'll have to get a different mount kit but I got it for $30. The red bike is a 1991 Diamondback Momentum 25" ,when he pulled it out for me it still had the Exage 300 derailleurs, Exage 300 BioPace double crankset and both Exage 300 brake calipers and they were all in excellent condition, it also had the aluminum seat post and a greasy but good chain. Paint is not bad but the down tube decals are toast which is OK because they are UGLY. Basically a complete bike except for the "cockpit" and wheels. I have $10 min it, I think I'll strip all the decals and touch up the paint, replace the missing pieces and ride the snot out of it. I also brought home a mechanically sound Manitou Spyder suspension fork with an uncut 1-1/8" steerer tube, 3 stem spacers and a Specialized threadless stem. In addition to that I snagged a pair of drop center 26" rims for my pre-War Elgin and a good Sun Rhyno Lite 26" wheel laced to a smooth turning Deore cassette hub with an 8 speed cassette, unfortunately he didn't have the front. The Manitou is in really good shape except for the decals, I think I'll remove the decals, clean it up and put it on my Columbia Clipper in place of the modern Suntour that's on it now. Besides looking more vintage it actually feels better than the Suntour.

OK, for those that couldn't find "Waldo" here is what was buried in that trailer minus, stem, bars and wheels......

Last edited by Murray Missile; 09-30-19 at 07:16 AM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 09-16-19, 06:20 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 81 Posts
Dropped off half a bag of kitchen waste and my recyclables before heading to the scrap metal pile. Several bikes had found their way their since my last visit, four days ago.

This is the first bike(s) I saw and left untouched...

The next bike, actually tangled mess of bikes, including a crappy Cranked frame, greeted me next. Once again, not much there to attract my attention. None the less, I did look closer only to discover something worth my interest. Though tempted to take the bike home, I managed to resist. That said, I did call a friend, reporting to him the half dozen, or so, bikes that had been tossed to the dump god in the last few days...

This old Supercycle, a Canadian Tire PO$ model (I know this for sure as I had one of these unadulterated pieces of feces). I know! The fork is bent...

This old mangled steed with holes drilled in both fenders (for skirt protectors, I guess) has been there for a while...

Before leaving, I passed one more time on this, whateveritis that looked to be in nice shape...

And, though not a recent "left at the bump" candidate, it is one that I had to pass on this summer. In days gone bye, the handicapped person's bike would have found its way into my Ford Ranger, to be rebuilt at Bicycles for Humanity, and then given to a person who could make proper use of it. This one I was sad to leave and did try to call in help, but to no avail...
Old 09-16-19, 10:14 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Holy cow. Here in North Vancouver we are not allowed to take things home from the local scrapyard. I found a minty Kawasaki MTB that would have looked great with my old Ninja, but had to leave it. D'oh!
Old 09-16-19, 10:25 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Ha, my wife imposes the same rule.
Old 09-16-19, 01:03 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 117 Posts
^^^^^ Shouldn't a moderate bribe work in both cases?
Old 09-16-19, 02:00 PM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Gitane Track Standard, 1989 Miyata 718a, Fuji Tahoe, Miyata 310

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
By the side of the road...

Stopped and grabbed this Raleigh after checking with the home owner. Needs a lot of love but I figure what else have I to do? Is there such a thing as too rusty? LOL

Last edited by roadbikeChris; 09-16-19 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 02:42 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 117 Posts
Those wino bars!
Old 09-17-19, 05:10 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

My new trainer set up for the winter....After some clean up. Bike and trainer virtually free.

Last edited by brandenjs; 09-17-19 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 09-18-19, 02:27 AM
ToniH. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
Brought this one owner 1979 Soma Prestige home today. Gave it a good degreasing and there's more to do later, corrected a couple mechanical mistakes, freed up a stuck shifter cable and adjusted the saddle and bars. I gave less than $100 for it and except for more cleaning to do and some liberal lubricating it's ready for the next Clunker Challenge.
Beatiful Soma. I really like the paint color. If I would had a custom frame made I think I would go with something similar.
Likes For ToniH.:
Old 09-23-19, 07:30 AM
quattroG

Bikes: 2010 Specialize CrossTrail, 2011 GT Series 2, 2010 Diamondback Insight 2, 2013 GT Karakoram 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadbikeChris View Post
Stopped and grabbed this Raleigh after checking with the home owner. Needs a lot of love but I figure what else have I to do? Is there such a thing as too rusty? LOL
that classic bike matches your classic Stereo gear I have similar
Likes For quattroG:
Old 09-23-19, 08:05 AM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Gitane Track Standard, 1989 Miyata 718a, Fuji Tahoe, Miyata 310

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I love me some old stuff! I stripped it down to make a fixie, but with a Nashbar road bike and a Gitane Track bike already in the works I don't know. Just don't have the space living in an apartment.
Old 09-23-19, 08:18 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Electra Cantilever, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Hybrid Drive concoction

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
Holy cow. Here in North Vancouver we are not allowed to take things home from the local scrapyard. I found a minty Kawasaki MTB that would have looked great with my old Ninja, but had to leave it. D'oh!
When I lived in New Hampshire, we had a transfer station. That is how I got my washer and drier. My neighbor and I used to joke about going to the transfer station to shop.
Old 09-23-19, 08:34 AM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1985 (?) Centurion LeMans road bike; 198_ Puch/Austro Daimler road bike

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma find....

Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post

Hot Stitch..! That green Soma find is a real keeper.! She's a beauty! I'm so jealous.. I'm a sucker for green color bikes. I had a green Stingray kids bike that I loved when I was a lad; got stolen from my backyard and I was crushed for days! Ride it, cowboy!
Old 09-23-19, 11:05 AM
Murray Missile 
Bike hoarder.

Originally Posted by SilverSteve View Post
Hot Stitch..! That green Soma find is a real keeper.! She's a beauty! I'm so jealous.. I'm a sucker for green color bikes. I had a green Stingray kids bike that I loved when I was a lad; got stolen from my backyard and I was crushed for days! Ride it, cowboy!
Thanks, I wasn't going to buy any more but I kept staring at this on CL & FB for a week then caved. I almost missed though, I was the 2nd of 3 callers. It was too tall for Contestant No. 1, the seller held onto it until I could get there. I jumped on it and gave him $5 extra for giving me the extra day to get there. Well worth it!
Old 09-25-19, 03:06 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk View Post
My deal of the day:
1992 Cannondale 2.8
I NEED TO QUIT OPENING CL!
A very classy late 90's upgrade:
Dura-Ace drive
600 brakes
Cinelli bars and stem
Kinesis CF fork
Stronglight headset
American Classic hubs
Mavic Open 4CD rims
New cables and bar wrap, and there's NOTHING TO FIX! Already been around the block.
I like the looks of this series Dale...great score!
Ben
Old 09-28-19, 06:45 PM
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat

Now why would I pay $75 for an entry level Takara in this softening market? Well I am hunting a 700c wheelset to equip the sweet 89 Allez that @tricky was nice enough to give me a deal on, the caveat was that it came with no wheels. I knew from the ad that the Takara had been upgraded to 700c wheels and I could see by the pictures on CL that the rims were Mavic so I figured the hubs would have a chance of being decent and anyway there was a pair of bar end shifters on the bike too anyway so I went to look last night, lets just say I was pleased with what I found

late 70s something Takara ungraded to 700c wheels

I saw this and paid the man immediately

Open pro rims

and sutour bar cons in decent shape no missing bits it appears
Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-29-19, 07:24 AM
Murray Missile 
Bike hoarder.

Originally Posted by ryansu View Post
Now why would I pay $75 for an entry level Takara in this softening market?

late 70s something Takara

In case no one has noticed I have a strange attraction to the "orphan" marques from this era. Takara, Soma, Shogun, Focus, etc. If that poor old Takara was a 25 inch I'd be tempted to take the "bones" off your hands, fortunately it's not LOL.
Old 09-29-19, 07:16 PM
ionikos

Bikes: Koga Miyata 1976 Pro Racer, Koga Miyata 1978 Road Racer, Koga Miyata 1979 Gents Luxe-S, Koga Miyata 1980 Road Winner, Koga Miyata 1980 Voyager, Raleigh super course mk 11, Bianchi X4 1987

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coucil clean up

I did a recon mission through a suburb doing a council clean up.

After a degreasing and wash
Old 09-30-19, 03:22 AM
ionikos

Bikes: Koga Miyata 1976 Pro Racer, Koga Miyata 1978 Road Racer, Koga Miyata 1979 Gents Luxe-S, Koga Miyata 1980 Road Winner, Koga Miyata 1980 Voyager, Raleigh super course mk 11, Bianchi X4 1987

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is a Peugeot P10!

Found this Peugeot this afternoon at a local clean up.
Old 09-30-19, 05:35 AM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1985 (?) Centurion LeMans road bike; 198_ Puch/Austro Daimler road bike

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
This is my second time owning this Super Sport. 15 years ago my brother gave it to me, and I:
- repainted (sorry)
- replaced stem shifters with downtube shifters (sorry)
- replaced ashtabula crank with 3-piece crank (sorry)
- bearings, cables, etc

After using it as a commuter for a couple years, I gave it back to my brother. Where it sat in his minibarn for the last 10+ years. Now I saved it from the dump, and it needs some TLC. I've repacked bearings. Cleaning deraileurs and reassembly to follow. I guess it would make a good fixed gear, but I'm not hip enough do ride a fixed gear bike. Can't even bring myself to say "fixie".

Put some gears on that beauty and ride it.!
Old 09-30-19, 07:24 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1970s Schwinn SuperSport 1985 Centurion Ironman 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk Hybrid 1964 Huffeigh Sportsman 3 speed, 1960s Frejus Tour de France

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
1986 Free Spirit 3 speed

My son was going home after a Sunday visit to our house when he returned to mention an old bike at the curb down the street with gumwalls. He knew that usually meant vintage . I walked down the street and retrieved an old Sears in perhaps 90% condition that was missing the seat.

no seat, and seat post loosely inserted

I have a 1964 Huffy Sportsman, aka Raleigh Sports already. I had to replace my front wheel, so I noticed the wheels and tires were very nice on this one. It had a Sturmey-Archer too dated 86-12, so it came home with me. Made in Taiwan, but in VERY nice little used condition.

A little research says heavy and junky, but.... Actually bike is 32 lbs as it sits with no seat which is about the same as the old Raleigh, and about 5 lbs less than a Schwinn Breeze 3 speed I have my wife riding. Brit Raleighs at this later stage I have read were not too great either.

The plan now is to lube and adjust and add a seat and give to the son to ride with his girlfriend. She has a single speed and he rides his Letour, so this might be more appropriate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.