Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 09-09-19, 10:44 AM
Blightybiker

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix (circa 1977)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
Here is a tip you can use. I ran this search, and this result seems best for you: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ix-thread.html
Thanks, Tom!
Old 09-09-19, 02:20 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I said I would post some pics of the 77 Raleigh Super Course. I picked this one up at the bike Exchange last Wed. It was a choice between this and a Schwinn Prologue. Had it mostly done by Saturday . I took it in to the shop to find a puller for the Atom Freewheel. We had one. I swapped in a Suntour New Winner 14-34 tooth Freewheel, Got a slightly longer axle and added a washer either side and was able to massage the rear dropouts enough to shoe horn it in. without really spreading them. It is mostly bone stock with the following exceptions

Super Chanpion 700 c wheels( weinman convex rims) Suntour cyclone front derailleur ( suntour VX) and Seat ( Brooks b 17 narrow).

I did my usual strip down and deep cleaning . Many of the parts had very little use on them . The Brakes looked new as did the Cranks and chain wheels. The paint had a little wear in places. I touched up the paint as good as I could then Sprayed it with Rustoleum clear Enamel. Not bad for a 42 year old bike!
Old 09-09-19, 02:30 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Since this thread has become active again, I dug out the following for your amusement:

On tour. From a local weekly newspaper in Arnprior, Ontario, in 1974, just before I started med. school (and got a haircut.) The Super Course, complete with Stronglight cotterless crankset, was stolen from my landlady's garage the following winter. It was only 2 years old, about par for the course in those days.
Old 09-09-19, 09:26 PM
Senrab62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Excuse the slip n slide and weeds. This is as I picked it up recently. 1976 MK II w/huret dropouts, SL 93 (I think) crankset, jubilee rear with more modern 105 front mechs. Replacement rear wheel and freewheel. Needs a bit to get road worthy but got it for a decent deal IMHO.

Have many ideas for where it might go, but nothing in stone. This thread is full of ideas and inspiration!