Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Old 04-13-12, 08:04 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice, fast and sweet ride on the first leg of my commute this morning. Not only that, I use the train on my commute too. But, today, I get off 5 stops ahead of my normal stop. That way, I could put in and extra 20 miles before I got to work..

Tell me life isn't sweet...

BTW, I am running blinking flashlights up front, and on my helmet during the day. The respect I get from cars is UNREAL!! It has to be seen to believe!!
Old 04-13-12, 08:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another very chilly morning in NC today with temps in the mid-30s during my commute. The high is supposed to reach 70 this afternoon, so dressing was a challenge and I opted for lighter clothes so I wouldn't get too sweaty this afternoon. Took an insulated mug with some hot coffee to help take the edge off the cold and that was nice. Someone on this forum recommended Bubba bottles as an insulated mug that fits well in bicycle bottle cages, and I picked up one on Amazon for a good price. It works well and doesn't leak.
Old 04-13-12, 08:21 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Legs were a little tired, and I hope to do a longish ride this weekend, so I decided to play a game with myself, and ride with as little effort in the lowest gear possible, always keeping a high cadence with minimal effort. Told myself I was shooting for my record slowest commute time. Over a half hour commute, I was only about 3 minutes slower than my normal 'moderate pace' approach, and maybe 5-6 minutes slower than when I'm feeling gung-ho.
Old 04-13-12, 09:53 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tired from battling the high wind all week long. It's gonna be a slow ride home today.
Old 04-13-12, 11:56 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
~40F and sunny, very nice. Suspect based on last night's headwind I may have been benefiting from a tailwind yesterday morning and possibly this morning too...
Old 04-13-12, 03:07 PM
b_twill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morning was chilly (low 30's), but dead calm! This afternoon was just about perfect in my book, although the wind could of been lighter, oh well I'm not complaining. Took a half day off from work today and the wife and I rode around on Kent trails and Millennium Park.
Old 04-13-12, 03:20 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm sunny and tailwind! A TAILWIND! I hardly even knew what to do with myself.
Old 04-13-12, 08:34 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32F and calm on the way to work. 58F coming home. took the long way back (gravel access roads) and had 20mph headwind about half the way, until i got onto the tree lined trail.

tread on the CX are a little more work on the road, but so worth it on the trail.
Old 04-13-12, 09:07 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morning commute I was tired. Worked a 15 hour shift on Thursday. But I had a tailwind and the temp was nice with no Sun in my eyes.

Coming home I had to fight the wind. But the weather was nice despite some threat of rain-which didn't happen.
Passing one intersection I could hear some idiot really screaming. As spikebike put it, he was 'barking like a dog'.
I couldn't hear just what he was saying, but his mood was easy to guess. I'm not really even sure he was yelling at me. He might have been in an argument with the car next to him for all I know. But if I was to bet on it, then I'd put my money on me having been his target. Just another jerk who becomes hysterical when he sees someone on a bike on 'his' road.

It doesn't happen all that often, when it comes down to it. But it happens enough that it's a bit depressing. I haven't hung a mouse under anyone's eye in 25 years or so. And it's not something I approve of. But if one of these creeps ever gets up the guts to corner me, then he's really gonna get it.
Old 04-14-12, 07:27 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been lots of wind here in Okeechobee this week. Seems like it's always in my face, but I'm getting used to it I guess. This is the first time since I started commuting to work on my bike that I have managed to 'sweep' the week. Rode all five days, got in 82 miles at an average speed for the week of 17.5. Weight continues to come off, I feel good at work and enjoy the ride each day. It's good commuting on a bike in South Florida...

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 04-14-12, 12:41 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Torker Graduate, Framed Minnesota1.0, Salsa Fargo, 2014 &2013 Felt NBBcruiser, '59 magneet path racer,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ride was great, tailwind coming back to town from the pub was superb, lost my bontrager tail light somewhere on the the trail. New toy time.
Old 04-16-12, 04:32 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice ride in at 66f (18C). I love the warm mornings. Something was going on along the roads I take to work, as police cars were blowing by me at a speed, which made me want to stop. Fast moving lights in the dark are unsettling.
Old 04-16-12, 05:03 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm indeed in DC, I was down to shortsleeves and shorts. Rolled in a bit earlier than usual, man I love the empty city streets.
Old 04-16-12, 05:23 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was not quite warm up here in MA but it promises to get warmer during the day. Still a very nice ride in in shortsleeves and leggings and regular socks. No warm clothing. No school in MA this week so no school buses and not so many people on the road this morning but that also has to do with the holiday.
Old 04-16-12, 05:25 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid 30's and heavy rain out here on the Oregon Coast this evening on the way into work - but the wind has died down, no more 70mph gusts! For awhile I was thinking I should put a jib on my bike and sail to work.

The only crappy part was almost getting run off the road by an old lady in a big ol' boat of a Lincoln. She was swerving in and out of the bike lane until she finally managed to find the driveway she wanted. Fortunately she was doing it at 15 mph, so it was more amusing than hair-raising.
Old 04-16-12, 05:52 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jeesh, it's been windy around here lately. Rode 60 miles Sunday with friends on perhaps the windiest ride so far this year. A paceline really helps in situations like that. Wind was still blowing from the SW this morning, so my commute was headwinds the whole way. My legs were tired from the long ride yesterday so I just took it easy. No point fighting the wind with tired legs. Hopefully the wind direction won't change and I'll get a tailwind for a change on the way home.
Old 04-16-12, 06:01 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridiculously warm for April. 65F/18C and slightly humid. First short-sleeve morning ride of the season. Weather guessers are saying mid 80s this afternoon!

A hipster on an old roadbike pulled out in front of me (not unsafely) on a road so I had a commuting buddy for about a mile before he turned. Hipsters don't shift. Did you know that? They do obey signs and lights though.
Old 04-16-12, 06:24 AM
making

Bikes: Road bike

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to say this but I did not ride today cause it was raining a lot and it was blowing sideways. I dont care on the way home, but it was just too early.
Old 04-16-12, 07:29 AM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic ride this morning. 40 degrees and calm. Rode along the river the entire way and tested out my bike packing kit.

Old 04-16-12, 07:48 AM
Ridefreemc 

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra View Post
It was not quite warm up here in MA but it promises to get warmer during the day. Still a very nice ride in in shortsleeves and leggings and regular socks. No warm clothing. No school in MA this week so no school buses and not so many people on the road this morning but that also has to do with the holiday.
Is today (4/16) a holiday??

Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post

Tell me life isn't sweet...
I won't tell you that because it is SWEET, especially when you get to ride in to work. Thanks for pointing that out!

Today was about 68 degees F on the way in at 6:30 and should be close to 82 on the way home. Beautiful 4.3 miles, 9.6 total today.
Old 04-16-12, 08:33 AM
El Duderino X
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride into work last night was great as was the first five minutes of the ride home this morning. Then it all went into the crapper.
Old 04-16-12, 09:13 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Ma it is Patriots Day which is a state holiday.
Old 04-16-12, 09:28 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brought the road bike for the AM commute today. Better time than the Trek FX. Best morning weather so far this year. 55F, crystal clear sky.

Originally Posted by essiemyra View Post
Here in Ma it is Patriots Day which is a state holiday.
Slightly off topic, discovered the reason for the tax day delay was local holiday in D.C. (Emancipation Day)
Old 04-16-12, 10:26 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
50F; started misting but ended in full-on rain, very wet wet wet
Old 04-16-12, 10:42 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Niiiice! It was like 70F this morning and sunny, it's 82F now and it's supposed to get close to 90F later today And back to 60s tomorrow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.