Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When does a fact stop being a 'spoiler'...?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 09:38 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

For example... everyone who has followed the 2018 TdF already knows ******* will be the winner of the yellow jersey even though the final 21st Stage doesn't even start until 9:30A EST tomorrow. It's not even a 'fact' until tomorrow so, how could it be a spoiler if it hasn't actually happened yet? And, is it a spoiler to talk about the cyclist who, for example, won Stage 10, which was more than a week ago?
Old 07-28-18, 09:57 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
It's a respect thing.

Yeah, I know.... Stay of the computer/smart phone and lock yourself in the bathroom if you don't want to know. There are dedicated threads, and it's just best to use them.
Old 07-29-18, 03:49 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a hard time with the notion of "spoilers" for sporting events. A bike race is not a feature film or a novel, which have the same meaning whenever they happen to be watched or read. A sporting event, on the other hand, is a one-time, historic event. If you don't see it live, you missed it. If some people want to pretend they didn't miss it, and watch a recording later, it's up to them to ignore or avoid the facts beforehand. That said, within certain contexts, I'd say that giving people a few hours to catch the first rebroadcast or watch their own recording is a nice, friendly thing to do, in which case I'd say 8-12 hours is plenty, and expecting people to wait more than 18 hours before openly discussing the results is definitely pushing it. But the TdF, when live broadcasts of the stage finishes are at a reasonable hour for most of it's global audience? I don't see it. If you don't want the finish of a sporting event to be "spoiled," get up and watch it while it's fresh.

Last edited by kbarch; 07-29-18 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 04:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
With work schedules, time delays, etc... Maybe 24 hours wait?

But, I can't believe anybody would actually read a topic on the TDF if they didn't want to know what happened

Perhaps one issue is that the first few lines of a topic are often displayed without opening it.
Old 07-29-18, 04:08 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by McBTC
For example... everyone who has followed the 2018 TdF already knows ******* will be the winner of the yellow jersey even though the final 21st Stage doesn't even start until 9:30A EST tomorrow. It's not even a 'fact' until tomorrow so, how could it be a spoiler if it hasn't actually happened yet?
I don't know that it's the case this time around, but when someone has an essentially insurmountable lead before the last couple of stages, it's easy to say they've already won. Question is, when does that become clear? If it wasn't clear until the end of the the 20th stage, then revealing the fact that rider X had won the whole thing would have revealed that he held onto his lead (a fact, which is actually a bigger deal than learning who happened to win the stage), and some might call that a spoiler.
Old 07-29-18, 04:35 AM
CliffordK

A prediction is just a prediction. It isn't a spoiler.

One can discuss time or points if one wishes.

The leader often rides a bit conservatively that last day, but that doesn't mean a crash is impossible.

Killer Squirrels?

Overly exuberant photographers?
Old 07-29-18, 04:52 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I keep a strict news blackout for 3 months until the drug testing fog has cleared.

But yeah, dropping race results in random threads is a dick move.
Old 07-29-18, 05:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Let me flip the question around: what's so onerous about marking your thread as *spoiler* and not posting results in other threads? Race results aren't relevant in most threads, so you shouldn't need to discuss them there. And frankly, the discussions should just go in "Professional Cycling - For the Fans" instead of the 41 anyway.
Old 07-29-18, 09:15 AM
McBTC

Concerns seem a bit contrived when talking about something that has actually happened that is not the fictional plot in a book or the surprise ending of a movie-- otherwise, how much time must pass, for example, before you feel free to disclose who won the last presidential election or what the verdict was in the OJ trial? When it comes to the TdF, only someone who knows something about the competitors and details of the sport involved would have the slightest appreciation for names -- pretty much like in any sporting event -- and, among such persons, I think it is silly to think that you should not, for example, disclose the winner of the Superbowl until a few months have passed.
Old 07-29-18, 11:23 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Concerns seem a bit contrived when talking about something that has actually happened that is not the fictional plot in a book or the surprise ending of a movie-- otherwise, how much time must pass, for example, before you feel free to disclose who won the last presidential election or what the verdict was in the OJ trial? When it comes to the TdF, only someone who knows something about the competitors and details of the sport involved would have the slightest appreciation for names -- pretty much like in any sporting event -- and, among such persons, I think it is silly to think that you should not, for example, disclose the winner of the Superbowl until a few months have passed.
You're not allowed to discuss the last election here either, so that's not a great analogy for your argument. Why do you feel the need to discuss it in a random thread on the wrong subforum? Why do you need to put the spoiler in the title, or unmarked spoilers in a post? No really, tell me why you're not able to keep it where it belongs. I'm genuinely curious what's so oppressive about that. Don't go on about sports vs stories, tell me what's hard about being considerate.
Old 07-29-18, 12:31 PM
McBTC

The latest demonstration of the latest social order taken to an absurd extreme... spoiler correctness... all in the name of considerate discourse?
Old 07-29-18, 01:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The latest demonstration of the latest social order taken to an absurd extreme... spoiler correctness... all in the name of considerate discourse?
Dude - you posted a spoiler of a stage the day of. Stop whining.
Old 07-29-18, 01:11 PM
McBTC

The best part was the very end when a Frenchman stepped out of the crowd and mooned the... ooops, sorry, spoiler alert. All news is a spoiler...
Old 07-29-18, 01:26 PM
CliffordK

I think it is silly to think that you should not, for example, disclose the winner of the Superbowl until a few months have passed.
I'm fine with simply never discussing the Superbowl.
Old 07-29-18, 01:42 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

It's very telling that you're unable or unwilling to answer my question.
Old 07-29-18, 01:42 PM
British

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I have a hard time with the notion of "spoilers" for sporting events. A bike race is not a feature film or a novel, which have the same meaning whenever they happen to be watched or read. A sporting event, on the other hand, is a one-time, historic event. If you don't see it live, you missed it. If some people want to pretend they didn't miss it, and watch a recording later, it's up to them to ignore or avoid the facts beforehand. That said, within certain contexts, I'd say that giving people a few hours to catch the first rebroadcast or watch their own recording is a nice, friendly thing to do, in which case I'd say 8-12 hours is plenty, and expecting people to wait more than 18 hours before openly discussing the results is definitely pushing it. But the TdF, when live broadcasts of the stage finishes are at a reasonable hour for most of it's global audience? I don't see it. If you don't want the finish of a sporting event to be "spoiled," get up and watch it while it's fresh.
I'd agree with this. This isn't a movie. You either watched it live or you missed and should prepare to be spoiled.

Although specifically within the context of pro bike races and the discussion thereof, I would point out there is a dedicated sub-forum for this here on bikeforums.net.
Old 07-29-18, 05:05 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
By the way, I've found that if the results are really interesting, they're interesting even if you "know how it ends." Even with sporting events. I've watched the 9th inning of game 1 of the 1988 world series a couple of times after the fact, and it still gets me. Knowing the ending doesn't spoil it at all
Old 07-29-18, 07:46 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Is "No Spoilers in Title" such a hard concept to understand and follow ??

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-29-18 at 08:01 PM.