Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

A new use for trailers

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

A new use for trailers

Old 06-22-18, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
A new use for trailers

I had a contractor come out yesterday. We got talking bikes (after he passed through the garage). His experience was BMX, downhill, now mountain biking. And, being a native Oregonian, he hunts. Elk. That means carrying out 500 pounds. He picked up a bike trailer and rebuilt it with a flatbed of plywood. Rides in, hunts, butchers his kill, then pushes the bike and trailer out. (He showed me a photo of him riding the loaded rig but said he was only riding for the photo and that those few feet were unbelievably hard!)

When he started talking, I kinda wrote him off as someone who had only played with toys, not real bikes. But I came to realize his love for bikes is as real as mine and so is his love of getting them to work for him. And while I am not a fan of hunting, I can respect someone going into the wild alone with no power anything and hauling the meat out with only his own muscle and ingenuity.

Before he left, I showed him my Peter Mooney set up with three chainrings, three fix gear cogs and true mountain gearing and the 35c and 37c tires it can handle. He liked that it had done the Trask River trail (logging roads over the Oregon coastal range.)

Moderators - I guessed Utility Cycling was the best forum for this post. Feel free to move to wherever it belongs.

Ben
Old 06-22-18, 10:54 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Before he left, I showed him my Peter Mooney set up with three chainrings, three fix gear cogs and true mountain gearing and the 35c and 37c tires it can handle. He liked that it had done the Trask River trail (logging roads over the Oregon coastal range.)

Moderators - I guessed Utility Cycling was the best forum for this post. Feel free to move to wherever it belongs.

Ben
Pictures?
Old 06-24-18, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Hunting is the customer's most common use of mid drive electric motor conversions
to mountain and fat bikes out here surrounded by logging roads and forests.
for the last few years .

Shop refit a carcass hauling trailer's* wheels with drum brake hubs, to slow down all that weight coming down hills..

* quite wide , so not so street usable, but fit for purpose..

expanded steel bottom of BoB trailers drains well so gets hunter's use also..