Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 11:51 AM
side_FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Meiggs
Nice bike!, but are you putting the chain side against the couch? You're not married, are you?
Old 09-03-15, 06:05 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DBordello
Well, I got upsold. Twice.

I went in to the LBS with a 7.2 in mind. However, I gave the 7.3 a shot, and I liked the handle bars and it seemed like a smoother ride. Then, they had a 2014 7.4 with a Carbon fork for $89 more. So, taking delivery of a 2014 7.4 today. Looking forward to it!
Congrats you will love it!
Old 09-03-15, 07:48 PM
DBordello

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked my 2014 7.4 FX up. It was a great ride home!

Now a quick discussion on bike computers. I had originally bought the 2015 7.3, so I was going with the DuoTrap + Bontrager 300 setup. However, the 2014 isn't DuoTrap compatible, so I told the LBS to put a Speed + Cadence computer on. They chose a $50 CatEye. However, they were unable to get the cadence to work, likely due to the distance from the frame to the crank. I had them remove the CatEye, and am now looking for a computer.

* The 2014 is Speedtrap compatible, so that seems like a good solution for the speed.
* Does anybody have a working cadence sensor? ANT+ preferable.
* I am stats geek, so I start Strava everytime. I realize my phone doesn't talk ANT+. However, any recommendations that won't break the bank for a computer that can talk to the ANT+ sensors, and Bluetooth to my phone?
Old 09-03-15, 07:48 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
My plan was to buy a 2015/2016 Trek 7.2 FX (17.5") this week for $450. However, in my small town, a 2007 Trek 7.2 FX (17.5") just popped up. He is currently asking $200: https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/5198050025.html

New: Warranty, accessory installation, trouble free. The new ones are smooth, without any rattles.

Used: Money.

Thoughts?
I have a 2007 7.2FX 17.5" and it suits my needs. The downside is that it's a bit stiff on bumps - like sidewalk to road to sidewalk bumps. On bike paths it's great. One thing that may sound strange is that I can't seem to ride slow with it. As I progress through the gears it just keeps going faster with the same cadence. It fits most all of my needs and I don't have any plans on replacing it. I could find a LOT to do with the extra $250

Last edited by timgriffin2; 02-06-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-03-15, 08:27 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I have a 2007 7.2FX 17.5" and it suits my needs. The downside is that it's a bit stiff on bumps - like sidewalk to road to sidewalk bumps. On bike paths it's great. One thing that may sound strange is that I can't seem to ride slow with it. As I progress through the gears it just keeps going faster with the same cadence. It fita most all of my needs and I don't have any plans on replacing it. I could find a LOT to do with the extra $250
7.2 FX is a great value, whole lotta bike.
Old 09-03-15, 09:18 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Well, I got upsold. Twice.

I went in to the LBS with a 7.2 in mind. However, I gave the 7.3 a shot, and I liked the handle bars and it seemed like a smoother ride. Then, they had a 2014 7.4 with a Carbon fork for $89 more. So, taking delivery of a 2014 7.4 today. Looking forward to it!
In raw dollar terms, you haven't spent that much more, yet I suspect you will get a noticeably better riding experience.
Old 09-03-15, 09:19 PM
DBordello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is certainly true. Since I couldn't get the DuoTrap, it basically was a wash
Old 09-03-15, 09:47 PM
SpeedyStein

Bikes: 2017 Giant Trance 2, 2016 SOMA Wolverine, 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This seems like probably the best place to ask... I am about to pick up what looks like a 2010 FX 7.1 - for basically free. The biggest catch, the saddle/seatpost was stolen. Anyone have any idea what size post I need for this bike? The 2015 version uses a 27.2, easy enough, but stuff like that can vary over time/model changes. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-03-15, 09:51 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by SpeedyStein
This seems like probably the best place to ask... I am about to pick up what looks like a 2010 FX 7.1 - for basically free. The biggest catch, the saddle/seatpost was stolen. Anyone have any idea what size post I need for this bike? The 2015 version uses a 27.2, easy enough, but stuff like that can vary over time/model changes. Thanks in advance for your help!
Trek have been using 27.2 for many years now, so most likely that, but do you have a bike shop you can take the bike into to confirm?
Old 09-03-15, 10:31 PM
SpeedyStein

Bikes: 2017 Giant Trance 2, 2016 SOMA Wolverine, 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I do have a local co-op that I am going to swing by tomorrow after I pick up the bike, but was going to browse Amazon tonight to see what was available online.
Old 09-04-15, 11:52 AM
Meiggs

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=side_FX;18134968]Nice bike!, but are you putting the chain side against the couch? You're not married, are you? [/QUOTE
I am, and noticed the grease right after I took the picture. Otherwise I would've ended up in the doghouse. ��
Old 09-04-15, 05:13 PM
stuman74

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since I received a $50 Bontrager store credit with the purchase of my wife's WSD Trek 7.2 last weekend, I ordered a set of larger H5 Hard Case Lite 700x42C tires for my Trek 7.2. They came in today and the nice folks at the bike shop installed them for me. I was concerned about the clearance in the back, but seems ok. Will test out with a ride tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo Sep 04, 5 27 23 PM copy.jpg (107.4 KB, 307 views)
Old 09-04-15, 08:07 PM
ljrhodes

Bikes: Trek Émonda ALR 4, Trek 7.2 FX Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IfBrokeThenFXit
Just purchased the same bike (minus the disc brakes) a couple of days ago and am really enjoying riding it around my little town. I absolutely love your set up! I gotta ask, what kind of camera are you shooting, I love the shallow depth of field but unfortunately if I try shooting with that low of an f stop my subject feels slightly out of focus. And on to the bike, just curious what brand bar ends those are, I was under the impression the factory 7.2 ergo bars could not be equipped with ends. Also, is your Garmin computer linked with the wireless duotrap sensor? I have the duotrap and was getting some sketchy feedback from it the first day, the bike shop tinkered with it and I believe it's properly working now, but I'm still skeptical about it's accuracy, what are your thoughts?
I'm still shooting the original EOS 5D. I used a 50mm f/1.4 lens and three Speedlite 430EX II flashes (I have six total), one with an umbrella, and an ST-E2 transmitter to trigger them. I shot wide-open, but when you underexpose both the ambient and flash light by 2/3 to 1 stop, you don't get as much softness and chromatic aberration.

As for the bar ends, they're Bontrager. I had to cut the end caps out of the original grips to slide those inward to make room for the bar ends, then I had to trim the end plugs that came with the bar ends for them to fit inside the handlebars, but the bar ends themselves fit over the handlebars just fine. Everything looks neatly finished, as if it were all designed to work together.

I did have the Edge 25 linked with the DuoTrap S, but the Edge 25 crapped out after the latest 2.6 firmware update, and after spending an hour on the phone with Garmin tech support, they suggested I just return it to my LBS, since they couldn't give me an ETA on a software fix. So, I took it back and exchanged it (and paid more) for the Edge 520. I also have it paired with the DuoTrap S. I think the GPS, though, tends to override the speed sensor (it doesn't even ask for the wheel size, for instance, which leads me to believe it actually ignores that, even though it says it's paired with it), but it's also a cadence sensor, and that's handy to have as well. I also have a Garmin chest strap heart rate monitor, since it doesn't sync with my Fitbit. I have to say that the Edge 520 really is worth the extra $130 over the Edge 25 for all of the extra goodies it has/does. But, even if I didn't use the DuoTrap S with the Edge 520, I'd still like having it, since it also has Bluetooth, which lets it work with Cyclemeter and other cycling apps on the iPhone, so I'll always have backup in case the Edge 520 craps out, especially since I'll be going on a three-day ride at the end of October, and a lot could happen to any bit of gear over such a long ride, and I want to make darned sure I don't miss any data recording of the trip.
Old 09-04-15, 08:12 PM
ljrhodes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stuman74
Since I received a $50 Bontrager store credit with the purchase of my wife's WSD Trek 7.2 last weekend, I ordered a set of larger H5 Hard Case Lite 700x42C tires for my Trek 7.2. They came in today and the nice folks at the bike shop installed them for me. I was concerned about the clearance in the back, but seems ok. Will test out with a ride tomorrow!
I look forward to hearing how they work. They certainly look cushier.

Last edited by ljrhodes; 09-05-15 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-04-15, 08:18 PM
ljrhodes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked my 2014 7.4 FX up. It was a great ride home!

Now a quick discussion on bike computers. I had originally bought the 2015 7.3, so I was going with the DuoTrap + Bontrager 300 setup. However, the 2014 isn't DuoTrap compatible, so I told the LBS to put a Speed + Cadence computer on. They chose a $50 CatEye. However, they were unable to get the cadence to work, likely due to the distance from the frame to the crank. I had them remove the CatEye, and am now looking for a computer.

* The 2014 is Speedtrap compatible, so that seems like a good solution for the speed.
* Does anybody have a working cadence sensor? ANT+ preferable.
* I am stats geek, so I start Strava everytime. I realize my phone doesn't talk ANT+. However, any recommendations that won't break the bank for a computer that can talk to the ANT+ sensors, and Bluetooth to my phone?
You might look into a Garmin Edge 25. However, these are quite a bit pricier than the Trip 300 and such. But, it's quite a lot more computer, too. I do have to disclose, though, that mine had to be returned, because each successive firmware update just got worse and worse, until the most recent version, 2.6, rendered it pretty much useless, with no ETA on a 2.7 update to try to fix it. I ended up trading it up for an Edge 520, which cost almost twice as much, but so far, I think it's been worth every penny.

That said, though, if you want a computer that has ANT+ and Bluetooth capabilities, the Edge 25 could still be a great choice if you're willing to save up a few more coins for it. The fact that it has GSP+GLONASS, will work with chest strap heart rate monitors, uses the Garmin Connect ecosystem, etc., makes tracking your rides, progress/development and such so much easier and even downright motivational.
Old 09-04-15, 08:22 PM
ljrhodes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hec1978
Hello all I am new to the forums as well as biking, I am a proud owner of a new Trek FX 7.3 in matte black. I look forward to participating in the forums and learning a few things.

That's a purty bike.
Old 09-04-15, 09:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Wow, I never realised one could fit 42mm tyres on an FX.

That is incredible versatility the FX offers.
Old 09-05-15, 10:26 AM
stuman74

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So far only did a light 4-mile ride with my daughter to get coffee and breakfast. On sidewalk/paved path/street seemed fine. Little cushier which was nice. I need to take it for a longer ride, but will report back again. So far so good though!
Old 09-06-15, 03:47 PM
stuman74

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ljrhodes
I look forward to hearing how they work. They certainly look cushier.
Had a great 17 mile ride with them yesterday. No slowdown from my previous H2 35c tires which kinda surprised me. Slightly more comfortable on moderate bumps too which is good since I'm 6'2" 210lb. Paved path, but hope to try some light gravel tomorrow or this coming week.

Attached Images
Old 09-08-15, 08:11 PM
neanders2

Bikes: 2016 GT Transeo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up a Trek 7.2 FX for me, and one for my wife. She got the 17.5" step-thru model, I got the 22.5" model (I'm 6' 1" and was between the LG and XL, so I decided to go with the bigger frame, it just felt better). We looked at many bikes and I did hours and hours of research. Probably test rode about 6 bikes in all, maybe more. This one just seemed to check all out boxes. Durable, good reputation, easy to ride, affordable, good for a variety of riding including roads and light trails and even city riding. We're pretty excited to have bikes that cis monument each other, looking forward to getting out and riding with our kids. If anyone cares, I looked hard at some other bikes (all hybrid), including some with front suspension. I've only ever had mountain bikes so it was really hard for me to go with a solid fork, but in the end I think I (we) made the right call. Some of the other bikes I looked at: Specialized Sirrus, Diamondback Trace Sport, GT Transeo 4.0, Fuji LE 3.0, Diamondback Insight Elite and Scott Sub 30/40. In fairness all were good, but the Trek 7.2 FX just seemed like the best all around bike for us.
Old 09-08-15, 08:22 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by neanders2
Just picked up a Trek 7.2 FX for me, and one for my wife. She got the 17.5" step-thru model, I got the 22.5" model (I'm 6' 1" and was between the LG and XL, so I decided to go with the bigger frame, it just felt better). We looked at many bikes and I did hours and hours of research. Probably test rode about 6 bikes in all, maybe more. This one just seemed to check all out boxes. Durable, good reputation, easy to ride, affordable, good for a variety of riding including roads and light trails and even city riding. We're pretty excited to have bikes that cis monument each other, looking forward to getting out and riding with our kids. If anyone cares, I looked hard at some other bikes (all hybrid), including some with front suspension. I've only ever had mountain bikes so it was really hard for me to go with a solid fork, but in the end I think I (we) made the right call. Some of the other bikes I looked at: Specialized Sirrus, Diamondback Trace Sport, GT Transeo 4.0, Fuji LE 3.0, Diamondback Insight Elite and Scott Sub 30/40. In fairness all were good, but the Trek 7.2 FX just seemed like the best all around bike for us.
Congratulations!
Old 09-08-15, 08:32 PM
yashinon

This may sound a tad strange but I saw some 7.4 and 7.5 FX's during a community ride the other night. That is the first time!! Yes I was excited! One of the riders had purchased a WSD 7.4 FX just a few weeks ago. The 7.5 FX had the rear ISOZONE feature, does that help or hinder the ride? I also wonder how different the newer TLR wheelset is compared to the Bontrager Nebula.
Old 09-09-15, 11:31 AM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Can you do a shot showing the clearance in the back?
Old 09-09-15, 10:08 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just picked up an fx 7.3 a couple of weeks ago. Tried a 20 and 22.5 and liked the feel of the bigger bike. I'm long waisted.... Anyways, have not been on a regular bike since I broke my collar bone on my MTB a couple of years ago. Ride my recumbent occasionally but had gotten lazy about riding it. Hoping to shed a few lbs and so far it's working. Down to 248 from 252. I usually rode about 10 miles in just under an hour on some pretty hilly roads, gets my heart rate up and I break a good sweat. Here is the bike but I put the original seat back on for today's ride and it was not any worse than the Terry City.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (29.3 KB, 565 views)
Old 09-09-15, 10:16 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The FX lends itself to being a gravel road/adventure bike even though its not marketed as one. A change of tires and you can explore more than just the streets!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.