Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Road bike - aerobars. Individual and group riding

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 09-03-18, 02:47 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Hi guys,
I've been curious about aerobars on my road bike for longer individual rides. Recently, I got Profile Design Carbon Stryke bars for an absolute bargain. Still have to mount them to my road bike. Though, I have the fit very well dialed in right now so I am very hesitant to start playing again.
Primarily, I do group rides with my road bike - many hours on the hoods right behind someone else's wheel (aerobar use not allowed).
It seems obvious that the fit of the road bike should be adjusted to work best with aerobars. However, what I cannot find is what effect this will have on rides that will just be on the hoods and drops.
If I were to adjust the fit for the bars (i.e. saddle forward & up, shorter stem), how will this affect my road bike feel when not using the bars? What things can I do to make the bike fit most versatile? Would this even make sense?

There seem to be endurance cyclists that put these bars on road bikes (or similar geometry), 'just to have another option'. This is roughly where my mind is coming from.

For reference, saddle to bar drop is in the range of 6.5 cm. Just holding the aerobars onto the bars makes it appear that I would have to lose about 4-5 cm in reach so that my elbows are near 90degs.

Thanks for any comments!
Old 09-03-18, 09:02 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't played with aero bars so am not familiar with how they should be setup but what's preventing you from just putting them on and trying them out as is?

I'd imagine just holding them up to the bars doesn't allow you to put a lot of weight onto the pads and thus not allow you to fully stretch out.
Old 09-03-18, 09:18 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I figured that aerobars and ultracycling/long distance are good search terms...

Was about to put them on, but got distracted. Will have to get the cables out of the way, nothing really serious.

Will ask more specific question after trying, if there is any. I might have reversed the order 'real life - internet' a bit this time...
Old 09-03-18, 09:42 PM
zze86

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lol, I hear ya on the distractions. One time I was working on a bike, getting ready to cut the housing and the SO stepped in distracting me with promises of brownies. After she left, I cut the housing...but forgot to pull it off the cable and cut the cable along with it! The brownies were delicious, especially with vanilla ice cream but we didn't have any so....

oh, right, distractions...

Well in any case, I wouldn't switch anything, if the normal "on the hoods" is your primary position. You want the bike fit to be most comfortable at your primary position.

If the aero bars won't work with the current fit then sell them off and get something that will.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-04-18, 01:36 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Agree, don’t change anything else. It puts you in a bit of a superman position, but better to compromise the position you use occasionally under ideal conditions, rather than the positions you use constantly. Just work on your flexibility and use it for only a few minutes at a time, building up slowly.
Old 09-05-18, 03:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
I've been using aerobars on group rides for over 20 years. Simple: don't change the fit. It'll work fine with the bars.

Maybe those bars don't fit you. The bars should put your hands well ahead of the hoods. I like the pads just aft of the bar tops and close to my elbows.
Old 09-05-18, 11:21 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Get a noseless ISM saddle and you can more easily slide forward as needed into a more aerodynamic position when using the aerobars... don't know the percentage but, triathletes use aerobars since drafting is not permitted anyway.