Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

'16 Louis Garneau Urbania SC4.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 11:28 AM
Solo_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all.

First post here.

Bought my first hybrid bike (used) today after having owned a '90's Trek 800 Mtn bike for the past 9 years or so. It's a 2016 Lious Garneau Urbania SC4 that's in excellent shape and looks like brand new, save a few light scratches. I had done some researching on hybrids prior to this purchase but this one seems to have no reviews whatsoever. I know it is a Canadian brand and it uses Shimano components (Altus/SIS for rear and front derailleurs, shifters/brake levers, cranks and cassette) but I would've liked to see some reviews. It's not the lightest hybrid out there (maybe around 30 lbs) but I think it's still lighter than my old bike. No disc brakes but that's alright. I'm basically going to use it at a local park here mostly on asphalt but sometimes I like to go off trail (unpaved, gravel) but it's all light stuff. So, I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about this bike.

The bike has Weinmann Xstar 18 rims and Chaoyang tires. Never heard of either one and I'm not sure if they're good or just alright compared to Bontrager (on Trek FX1). Seatpost has some form of suspension, which the FX1 doesn't. Handlebar stem allows for adjustment (0-60), which the FX1 doesn't have. The tires are 700x32 and I'm wondering if it's possible to use 35 instead of the 32. Oh and I paid $200 CaD/$150 US.

So yeah, any opinions on this ? Thanks.
Old 05-06-19, 04:55 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! The Bicycle Blue Book website has a picture of it. They don't list any monetary values, but given the picture and your description, I think it's pretty clear what you have. Yeah, it does look about like an FX1 plus a telescoping seat post and an adjustable stem. The components look pretty basic. It looks like there's probably a 7-speed freewheel in the back. The Weinmann rims are good entry level rims and the generic Chinese tires are probably fine. That same factory might make other brands in a different label as well. I'm sure you can fit wider tires on it, but you'd have to measure your frame to be sure. The there are three basic places to check:
  1. Fork.
  2. Seat stays (where the tire passes through the two tubes where the rear brakes are mounted).
  3. Chain stays (where the tire passes through the two lower rear tubes.

It's likely to have enough room for 35-38mm tires in those areas, but check to make sure.
Old 05-06-19, 11:24 PM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the welcome and the reply, hockiefyd.

Yes I saw that Bicycle Blue Book page a couple of days ago and there's maybe one more site that lists similar basic info but I mean I was looking for reviews or maybe experiences of owners of this bike. Yes $150 (US) isn't a big investment or nothing but I was just trying to see if it's a good brand or not. I'm liking its looks but if it's something that's going to keep breaking down I want to get rid of it before too late (like before I lose money on upgrades if I decide to upgrade). I'm not expert on components and don't know which is better than which but I'm sure they're better than the stuff I have on my old Trek and I'm only looking for something basic but reliable.

Yeah I think I should be able to use 35mm tires. There's at least 1/2 inch space on either side of the tire (near where the brakes are on the rear) but the bottom tubes come in closer together, so the gap is less than 1/2" between the metal tubes and the tire but I think 3 extra mm should still fit in there without rubbing. The fork has plenty of room. But I was wondering of the rims themselves would take 35mm tires and from what I've found it seems there's no problem there.
And as long as the Weinmann rims aren't some cheap crappy no-name stuff, I'm ok with that.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 05-07-19, 05:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Solo_rider
I was looking for reviews or maybe experiences of owners of this bike.
Bike reviews in general are hard to come by, especially for "cookie cutter" hybrids like our bikes. The only thing that really makes your bike specific to its brand is the aluminum frame and fork. Everything else is a bolt-on component from another brand, like Shimano drivetrain parts, Weinmann rims (and possibly hubs), Promax brakes, etc. Bikes aren't like Fords or Hondas or BMWs where most components in the vehicle were designed specifically for that vehicle and made under contract to the brand. The Weinmann rims on your bike may be the exact same Weinmann rims on my daughter's Raleigh. The most important part of a bike for you and I is the personal fit. Does the bike and frame fit you well, do you like the way it feels, the way it rides? If so, then it's probably a good choice for you -- everything else about the bike is a bolt-on from another company and can be changed.

You do often see reviews of more "boutique" bikes, where the frame material might be special or it has a specific use like a bikepacking bike or race bike, etc. And even then, the review will likely focus on those specific aspects of the bike, sort of glossing over the components that might be common to other bikes (like brakes, shifters, etc).

Regarding the rims, yes, 35mm tires will fit on the rims just fine. It sounds like you've also measured the frame and 35mm tires will fit there, too. Great news!

Last edited by hokiefyd; 05-07-19 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 05:23 AM
hokiefyd 

To follow up on manufacture, bikes are very much commodity items, and most bike "brands" are actually made by one of only a few companies. Your frame was probably made in a factory in Taiwan by one of the bike frame manufacturers (Merida, Giant, Kinesis, etc) and then shipped to an assembly factory where they apply the Louis Garneau graphics. I'm not familiar with the brand, but it appears like they sell all sorts of things related to bikes, from socks and jerseys all the way up to multi-thousand dollar bikes. Link.

I'd be curious to know if they make their own frames or design their own frames, or if they buy frames under contract from another source.
Old 05-09-19, 12:33 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again for the reply, hockie. Yes of course I realize a lot of the components on bikes are made by different companies -different than the frame manufacturer- but then I don't understand why some bikes -like the Trek FX- enjoy high ratings even when they seem to have the same components that other similar bikes have.

I don't know. I've come across a lot of reviews on bikes especially like Trek, Giant, Cannondale and even Canadian brands like Norco, Devinci, Brodie, ...but nothing on my bike despite the fact that Lious Garneau has been making bikes and all kinds of cycling related stuff for a long time. I usually don't buy anything before reading as many reviews as I can about it.

Rode the bike yesterday for the first time and I guess it was ok since it still feels different than what I'm used to (my old Trek 800 mountain bike) but yup it was light and it was faster, which I'm happy about. But still, with all the good reviews I keep reading about the Trek FX, I'm still not sure if I should keep my L.G or look for an FX.
Old 05-09-19, 05:12 AM
hokiefyd 

Thanks again for the reply, hockie. Yes of course I realize a lot of the components on bikes are made by different companies -different than the frame manufacturer- but then I don't understand why some bikes -like the Trek FX- enjoy high ratings even when they seem to have the same components that other similar bikes have.
I would try to separate reviews by other people from what you feel and perceive on the bike. The most important thing about a bike is that it fits you. It doesn't matter if it fits other people, or even what other people think about your bike or another bike. If your bike fits you, that's the bike for you. Name recognition is big in the bike industry, as it is in many others, and some brands seem to get all the attention. I have a few Treks myself, and they're great bikes. But so are Specialized and Giant and Jamis and Norco and Garneau. They all use the same or similar components. The frames are generally made in one of only a few factories globally. For the most part, lavish praise over one brand or another is rooted more in that brand's "curb appeal" more than anything else. Sort of like in the automotive world, Italian sports car brands are often revered above others, even if they're out-performed by another.

Bottom line: I suggest not reading reviews and listen to your body and your heart. If you like your bike and it fits, spend your time on your bike riding it! If you don't like it or if it doesn't fit you, then sell it or trade it for something else. But buy that something else by test-riding and looking at what colors and frame styles appeal to you. As you know and have already stated -- the components are all the same, anyway. The frames are all going to be good, structurally. What really matters is all the subjective stuff, and nobody else can or should decide that for you, anyway.

Cheers!
Old 05-10-19, 02:30 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, what you said makes sense. I think it's mostly psychological how people might feel about this brand of bike -or anything- or that. I'm actually a believer in that. People hear this name or that and automatically think "good" ...
I watched a video on Youtube just a couple of weeks ago titled "$6000 bike vs $120", and the rider of the "cheap" bike gave the other guy a run for his money mountain biking in a Mexican canyon. And looking at my Garneau and an FX 1,2, I just don't see how either can be better than the other seeing how similarly they're equipped and even look (in general). But just to satisfy my curiosity, I'll probably find a used for sale FX and go test ride it. I'll probably be happy that I got the Garneau if only for saving $100 (used FXs go for at least $300 here).

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Peace.
Old 05-10-19, 05:44 AM
hokiefyd 

Yeah, what you said makes sense. I think it's mostly psychological how people might feel about this brand of bike -or anything- or that. I'm actually a believer in that. People hear this name or that and automatically think "good" ...
I watched a video on Youtube just a couple of weeks ago titled "$6000 bike vs $120", and the rider of the "cheap" bike gave the other guy a run for his money mountain biking in a Mexican canyon. And looking at my Garneau and an FX 1,2, I just don't see how either can be better than the other seeing how similarly they're equipped and even look (in general). But just to satisfy my curiosity, I'll probably find a used for sale FX and go test ride it. I'll probably be happy that I got the Garneau if only for saving $100 (used FXs go for at least $300 here).

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Peace.
Happy (bike) trails!