Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose a Hybrid over a MTB?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Why did you choose a Hybrid over a MTB?

Old 05-14-19, 10:01 AM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
What saddle did you get? I’m usually fine with the stock saddle but for some reason the saddle on my new DS is really uncomfortable for me.
From my invoice: SADDLE BONTRAGER BOULEVARD 225MM BLACK SAD34683257K

I have not had a chance to ride further than the parking lot but it is much more padded than the Evoke that came with the DS. I'm planning on 5 to 10 miles this afternoon so I should have a better idea after a few miles.

Plus it's not ugly or way oversized for the look of the bike. Photos later.
Likes For Jac of Hearts:
Old 05-14-19, 04:19 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
From my invoice: SADDLE BONTRAGER BOULEVARD 225MM BLACK SAD34683257K

I have not had a chance to ride further than the parking lot but it is much more padded than the Evoke that came with the DS. I'm planning on 5 to 10 miles this afternoon so I should have a better idea after a few miles.

Plus it's not ugly or way oversized for the look of the bike. Photos later.
Here is a photo. I rode 6 miles this afternoon and it was way better than the one I took off.

Again it doesn't look like it doesn't belong. I think I'm going to like it.

Old 05-14-19, 08:59 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i'm sure you've had a lot of good answers already, but i'll chime in anyway.

i basically wanted a ride to do what you're looking to do, but i wasn't in any position to walk into a store and buy something - so my options were pretty much limited to what i could find used in my area.

i ended up with a hybrid - a 2011 specialized sirrus elite disc with probably a billion miles on it. i got it for cheap, but ended up (over time) replacing just about everything on it. the wheels, brakes, frame and fork are all that's stock on it, and i want to put better brakes on it as soon as i can swing it.

but at the end of the day, the bike is just about exactly what i wanted. it will fit as big of tires as i could ever need (700c x 45 fits fine), big tires coupled with a carbon seatpost makes up for most of the harsh ride thanks to the aluminum frame.

but all that said, i'm currently building a steel vintage mountain bike to take its place, so who knows? i guess i just want it all.
Old 05-15-19, 12:31 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
Why did you decide to buy a hybrid instead of another type? I'm currently riding an entry level MTB, Gary Fisher Mako, and after years of not riding have really enjoyed getting back in the saddle. I'm looking at new bikes and am between a MTB and a Hybrid. (Trek DS vs. Marlin)

I never ride the trails but being a heavy guy am not a fan of the skinnier tires. My riding is road, sidewalk, bike trails and occasional gravel paths.

So why a Hybrid over a MTB?
I originally had a 2019 Marlin 5. I ended up getting rid of it and getting a 2019 Dual Sport 2 instead. The Marlin sucked at actual real trail riding and mountain biking purposes, I soon realized in order to really be able to ride a mountain bike you need a full-suspension or at least a higher end hardtail. Within 1 week I had to replace my chainring because it bent from riding mountain trails. The Marlin couldn’t really handle what I was throwing at it.

I decided mountain biking wasn’t really my thing anyways, and I found myself mostly using my bike for commuting around town.

I was strongly considering a Rigid fork hybrid, like the Trek FX3, but after riding both a carbon rigid fork bike and the dual sport 2, the DS2 was much more comfortable. The ability to lock the suspension is quite nice, use it when I need and want it, turn it off when I don’t. The rolling speed and weight wasn’t noticeable vs the FX bike. I’m a large rider and wanted something more heavy duty and I felt like the DS was suited more for me. I love that I can fit wider tires on the DS2 than the FX as well. Plus, for the price point it had Hydraulic brakes, very comfortable saddle, decent components (for riding around town they shift smooth and get the job done, I don’t see any reason to upgrade to anything higher than the Dual Sport 2 because the only thing you gain is more gears/better quality components. I can’t even use all the gears I have now).

The biggest differences between my entry level mountain bike and my hybrid dual sport was the bar position is higher and slightly more back, resulting in a more upright riding position on my hybrid where the mountain bike has you more forward and has wider handlebars so you’re in a more aggressive position. The tires are narrower and roll better, and the overall frame geometry is a bit different and more comfortable, plus I have lockout suspension vs the Marlin 5 didn’t, others may so this is a kinda mute point.
Old 05-15-19, 07:31 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
For a good all-around tire, I recommend the Vittoria Mezcal. I have a pair of these in 27.5x2.1 on my MTB and they stick like glue on dirt and also roll really fast on pavement.

Is that the Topeak trunk bag that you can attach side panniers for extra storage?
Old 05-16-19, 05:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
Is that the Topeak trunk bag that you can attach side panniers for extra storage?
The panniers are integrated on this model; they fold out from the side pockets. This is the Topeak DXP bag.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-20-19, 12:54 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I turned my old mountain bike into a hybrid. Those massive knobby tires and that heavy, sprung fork were killing me on the hills surrounding my house so I mounted some 330 gram Panaracer 1 1/2 inch Tokyo messenger tires, a rigid fork and a few other nice bits and now I have a bike that actually gets ridden...a LOT!
Old 05-19-23, 07:39 PM
SteelerinoB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a Verve 2 and the upright position option was the deciding factor. As much as I’d like to think I’m some aggressive mountain biker who lives in flat south Florida I’m really just a casual rider looking to enjoy my rides on a comfortable bike lol
Likes For SteelerinoB:
Old 06-06-23, 07:03 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I ditched the MTB because 60% of my rides are on MUP's and the other 40% are on decomposed granite or gravel trails. My FXS6 handles them all at a speed much higher than I'd hit on any MTB. The carbon frame/fork soak up enough of the jolts that I find no need for a suspension fork. With 32c tubeless tires, I'm still surprised at the stuff on gravel this bike will power through with ease.

they don’t make this bike anymore. The closest thing is an 2021 fx sport 4 carbon which is a 1 x 11 system .
I have a fx3 and often think of getting this variant but there is no 2x system anymore
do you find the 2x system handy and how effective is the isospeed?
Old 06-07-23, 07:50 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
they don’t make this bike anymore. The closest thing is an 2021 fx sport 4 carbon which is a 1 x 11 system .
I have a fx3 and often think of getting this variant but there is no 2x system anymore
do you find the 2x system handy and how effective is the isospeed?
I’m a fan of 2x gearing. My Niner RDO 9 gravel bike is 2x, and the following year they switched to 1x. I like having the big ring when needed.

The isospeed soaks up vibrations pretty well. I haven’t ridden my Trek in several months and I may be selling it since I now have two carbon fiber Niner gravel bikes in the stable that I ride more often.