Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Full Chaincase

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Full Chaincase

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
If you look at this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=523226

the bike hase an interesting sks chainguard.....not full but pretty good coveage
Old 03-26-09, 05:04 AM
Lou Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I googled chaincases and found that "alibaba(dot)com" had chaincases being sold in quantity. They look like they'd go on roadsters, as they resemble the chain cases of Flying Pigeons, and some with funky paint jobs. (I also found this forum by googling chaincases). The only problem with the site is a) I heard it may be a scam, and b) I think you got to buy in quantities of 10.
Old 03-26-09, 11:50 AM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lou Guru
I googled chaincases and found that "alibaba(dot)com" had chaincases being sold in quantity. They look like they'd go on roadsters, as they resemble the chain cases of Flying Pigeons, and some with funky paint jobs. (I also found this forum by googling chaincases). The only problem with the site is a) I heard it may be a scam, and b) I think you got to buy in quantities of 10.
Alibaba.com is not a scam, it is a site for suppliers to advertise to importers. They are not interested in selling to individuals, container loads are what they are selling. There are several of those types of sites you find when googling roadster bicycles. Of course, if you are in the market for 1260 roadsters (or 10,000 chaincases), they are just where you should be looking.
Old 04-04-09, 09:20 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I started this thread more than a year ago, and finally ordered a chaincase from Yellow Jersey yesterday. $50, $62 with shipping, is a lot to me; especially when I cannot even ride the bike into town.

But I have wanted a '50's style roadster, the Denelt is technically a light roadster, since riding my cousins top end Raleigh as a kid. At this point I so not know how nice the chaincase is going to be, Yellow Jersey says it has a nicer finish than the ones for the 28" bicycles. Nor, do I know how much trouble it is going to be to fit it to the Dunelt. I will report back when it arrives.
Old 04-06-09, 12:42 PM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! Quick shipping. Paid for the chaincase on Friday, got it on Monday.

Rather than posting a bunch of photos here, I will just give a link to my Blog, Subject to Change, article: https://graywolfphoto.com/journal/?p=312

But for those who want to know what these look like, but not interested in more here is one photo:

That is the disassembled frame side view. It appears to need two straps to mount it on the bicycle, they did not come with it. I will inquire whether they were supposed to, before proceeding.
Old 04-07-09, 06:06 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They said they are supposed to mount to braze-ons. Oh well! I will fabricate straps, and if they move too much, I will epoxy them to the frame.
Old 04-23-09, 01:55 AM
roofrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, I have a road bike with a Nexus 7 fitted with a Chainglider. I live in London and the idea was to make myself a fast, low maintenance commuter. It works fairly well - although in common with some others I've been reading about the back bit eventually came off. However it still protects most of the chain and means I never have to roll up my trouser leg so I really like it. I've had it a little over a year and I had to trim a lot of the plastic to actually make the thing fit - however in the end I think it worked quite well and the 'no visible innards' look works well with a hub gear. Before I found the Chainglider I looked all over the internet including injection moulding factories from China and it seemed that aftermarket chainguard solutions are simply not really sold in either Britain or the USA. However if you can speak Dutch or German you will find a couple at every single online store.

German is Kettenschutz or Kettenkast

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettenschutz

Not a great photo but this is my bike from the wrong side.

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=P1020422.jpg

And here's a Dutch site that I may have actually found from another comment on this site.

https://www.scootbike.nl/index.php/co...owse/vmcchk,1/

Incidentally the reason I wanted a chainguard so much was that I read a blog about a chap who bought a tricycle in Alaska and he thought he'd have to replace the fully enclosed chain - took the guard off and the chain was like new underneath. That sounded great to me. Also because the hub gears are a bit of a pain to change a flat tyre with anyway I bought Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres hoping to have less punctures. That was in December 07 and I haven't had one since riding fifty miles a week - so they seem to work too - however I don't think anyone could call them fast. Apologies for digressing and going on but it was a subject I spent some time on a little while ago. Regards.
Old 05-09-09, 07:37 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
As promised, a picture of my Pashley Guvnor outfitted with a Rudge Withworth full chaincase. It adds to the bike's period look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pashley Roadster2.jpg (101.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 05-09-09, 10:57 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
That's awesome.
Old 05-10-09, 08:10 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
As promised, a picture of my Pashley Guvnor outfitted with a Rudge Withworth full chaincase. It adds to the bike's period look.
Very cool, Norman.

Now all I have to do is find the time, energy, and parts to mount the chaincase on my Dunelt. I will also need a few dry days for painting it and repainting the mudguards.

There is something about a full chaincase that says, "This bicycle is intended for serious everyday utilitarian use, it is not a weekend toy".
Old 05-10-09, 12:37 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
...There is something about a full chaincase that says, "This bicycle is intended for serious everyday utilitarian use, it is not a weekend toy".
An accessory that adds weight, noise and makes fixing a flat difficult hardy says utility to me, but you won't have to roll your pants leg up, that's a plus.
Old 05-11-09, 03:05 AM
bwkelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
An accessory that adds weight, noise and makes fixing a flat difficult hardy says utility to me, but you won't have to roll your pants leg up, that's a plus.
Chaincases aren't that heavy. I have yet to see one made out of armor plate. Mine makes a little noise at times, but not nearly enough to keep me from riding due to the annoyance. The chaincase on my bike has a removable piece on the rear that allows me to take off my rear wheel easily enough. And yes, I don't have to roll my pant leg up. They're not for everyone, but neither is criticizing other people's choice of bicycle accessories.

Last edited by bwkelly; 05-11-09 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 03:57 AM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine is made out of vinyl and canvas so it's both not heavy and do not make any noise.

It also easily snaps on and off without the use of any tools.

As for flats, I've successfully patched two flats without taking the wheel off
Old 05-11-09, 03:39 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It looks great. I'm not criticizing anybody's choice of accessories, just suggesting that chain guards are not widely used specifically because they add very little utility to a bicycle.
Old 05-13-09, 08:59 PM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You obviously do not clean and grease your own chain, or you only ride in good weather.You should be able to leave your utility bike leaning against the side of the building in all weather, jump on it and go where you are going and back with only a squirt of oil in the proper holes about once a week. Or at least that is what I consider a utility bicycle. And besides, the chaincase does not rattle as much as that pretty chrome bullet on the tip of the front fender. As for fixing a flat, not something I do very often, most utility cyclist do not have glue on tires that you have to demount he wheel to fix.

I always wonder why someone who does not like chaincases, fenders, lights, kickstands, saddlebags, etc on their bike even bothers to read threads about them. I guess they just like sneering at people who think differently than they do. While I sometimes sneer at folks who who wear spandex (because they sneer at people like me), I do not do that on the road bike forum. Of course, you probably do not think you are supposed to wear a suit and tie on a bicycle either. If you look at some of the sites about bicycling in Amsterdam, you may see what utility cycling is all about.
Old 05-14-09, 04:32 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Dude, I'm not sneering at you. If I owned a nice pair of pants, I might see it differently.

Clean and grease chain? No way, Jose. White Lightning baby, my chain is shiny silver not typical black gunky mess. You still wouldn't want to rub your dress pants up against it.
Old 05-14-09, 01:09 PM
bwkelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, I'm not sneering at you. If I owned a nice pair of pants, I might see it differently.

Clean and grease chain? No way, Jose. White Lightning baby, my chain is shiny silver not typical black gunky mess. You still wouldn't want to rub your dress pants up against it.
I don't want to rub any of my pants against my chain, hence the chaincase. I don't have enough money to replace grease-stained pants, dress pants or otherwise. Have you ever owned a bicycle with a chaincase and found it lacking? Do you have any practical experience with them to back your opinions? If you do, and please share if you do, I would have much greater respect for your input.

Last edited by bwkelly; 05-14-09 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-14-09, 04:00 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, I was sneering at him. But I wasn't sneering at chaincases. I'm sure they have functionality for some bikers, hence utilitarian. I guess I was reacting to the idea that graywolf was excited about making his bike look utilitarian which to me is putting the cart in front of the horse.

I don't have a car and I do not use public transportation. There are only two freight bikers in Washington DC. I'm one of them. No, I have never used a bike with a chain case. Take your "respect for my input" and shove it down your trouser leg, I don't need it.
Old 05-14-09, 04:26 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't put grease on your chain!
Old 05-14-09, 11:27 PM
bwkelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't put grease on your chain!
Okay, you got me there. I should have said "oil" or "lubricate". I don't put grease on my chain either.

I wasn't questioning your knowledge as a whole. You obviously know far more than I do in many areas. I was just questioning your knowledge in one particular area. I apologize if the tone of my previous message led you to believe I was questioning anything else. That's great you're a freight biker. We need more people like you.

Let me share my experience. I am also car-free, and have been for three years. I only use public transportation on the weekend to see my in-laws in Seoul. I currently reside in a semi-rural area in South Korea. I have attached a picture of a stretch of my daily commute. As you can see, it's a dirt road, and a poorly maintained one at that. I could ride on main roads, but South Korean traffic rules would probably hold me accountable if a car hit me, even if the accident wasn't my fault.

How does this relate to chaincases? Well, in the summer it rains here, a lot. My commute gets pretty muddy. A chaincase keeps a lot of grit off my chain. In the dry months it keeps most of the fine, talc-like road dust away, and also the Gobi desert dust that is increasingly blowing in from China. During certain months of the year, if I leave my bike outside, there's a fine layer of dust on it when I come back. I don't have to clean the chain as often as I would without one. I still lightly oil it on a regular basis, but my chaincase allows me to devote my free time to things other than bicycle maintenance. I don't especially enjoy cleaning chains.

I will agree that sometimes the cart gets put in front of the horse. They are turning into somewhat of a fashion accessory. When I go back to the US I'll probably be guilty of this as well. I have an old Raleigh waiting for me, more out of nostalgia for my time here than anything else. I won't have a daily commute that approaches the one I have now. Also, I won't have to worry about the problem of rampant Chinese dust, so its chaincase won't be as necessary. It will still do the same basic job of keeping the chain clean, however, so it won't be completely impractical.

Anyhow, I've written too much and have said all that I want to say on the subject. I'm tired of sitting in front of a computer and am going to go ride my bike instead. This thread has strayed off-topic enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3433961428_b601014f89.jpg (35.2 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by bwkelly; 05-15-09 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 04:23 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not sure you've strayed from the topic. You aren't answering "Where can I get one?" but "Why?" which maybe of interest to some who read this thread, if they get past my snarky posts. Haha

Oil vs. wax is the subject of another thread, several probably. I use White Lightning, a wax based lube that cleans and lubes. It just takes a couple minutes to apply. True believers in wax chain prep lower their chains into melted paraffin. (Use a double boiler to melt the wax.) Wax based lube or plain old wax might work for you even with the chaincase. The advantage is that dirt does not stick to your chain as much.

I wish my commute looked like that. Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-15-09, 09:41 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, as the OP, I think why is OK.

I actually use a Teflon spray lube on my chains.

I am 65 and disabled and the local town has a helmet law that I am ethically opposed to which limits my actual use of my bicycles.

In my working days I cycle commuted in Detroit, Tampa, and Charlotte well into my 50's. Although I have to admit that I usually worked in construction and the jobs were mostly too far for a bicycle to be sensible. But I used the bike whenever I had a fixed location job.

In college everyone knew me, I was "the guy with icicles in his beard". I pushed bicycles so hard that campus security started using them.

In high school my 3 speed gave me the mobility that other pre-car teens did not have, but I certainly was not considered "cool".

At nine or ten my grandfather bought me a bicycle, insisting that it had to be a real bicycle like he had in the old country. Black! So I wound up with a Black 26" Dunelt 3 speed when my contemporaries were riding 24" paperboy style bicycles. I could reach the pedals, but it was so big the only way to get off until I learned the flying dismount was to bring it to a stop and fall off. Needless to say I usually veered onto someone's lawn first.

I think, I can hold up my head in any group of utilitarian bicyclists. And, I still say a untility bicycle should require less effort to keep up than a car. An occasional wipe down with a rag and a few squirts of oil as I said in my previous post.

Also the bicycle that the chaincase will be fitted to is a classic three speed, in fact, a black Dunelt like the one I had as a kid only with the larger sized frame. I primarily use it as a park bike, a leasurely ride in the park pretending to be an older gentleman back in maybe the 1930's takes me away from the mundane world of today for an hour or so. It also gets me some much needed exercise. So to me the look of the chaincase is just as important as its function. One of the rewards I get for letting other people tell me what to do for 60+ years is now only having to please myself. Anyway, I think "I like the looks" is reason enough. If a better reason is needed, a chain in a full chaincase typically will last about 5 years with just the factory lubrication.

However, I ask again why does someone come into a thread titled "Full Chaincase" and say people are stupid for wanting one?
Old 05-15-09, 05:15 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Haha, my grandfather made me get a black 3spd instead of the oh-so-cool Schwinn Stingray that I really wanted. Granddad knew best.

"However, I ask again why does someone come into a thread titled 'Full Chaincase' and say people are stupid for wanting one?" ~graywolf

Sorry, I missed it the first time you asked. I was not ignoring your question, but I don't understand it. No one said you were stupid. You are a little thin-skinned for an old coot.

I have no problem with enhancements to the aesthetics of one's bicycle. I simply disagreed that a chaincase says "Utility bike". To me it says "Classic and Vintage". My sincerest apologies for having an opinion different from your own.

A guy on a Raleigh 3spd with a long gray beard smoked me this morning on a group ride I joined for "Bike to Work Day".
Old 05-15-09, 05:17 PM
bwkelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Graywolf, do you have any pictures of your Dunelt with the chainguard yet? Did you make straps to get around the lack of braze-ons? Just curious for future reference.
Old 05-16-09, 09:17 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bwkelly
Graywolf, do you have any pictures of your Dunelt with the chainguard yet? Did you make straps to get around the lack of braze-ons? Just curious for future reference.
Unfortunately, I have too many projects at the moment with higher priority. Rest assured I will report my success, or failure, here "real soon now".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.