Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Full Chaincase

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Full Chaincase

Old 12-27-09, 12:10 AM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have full chain CASE on a brand new Torker Cargo-T, so there ARE modern examples. So find a shop that has an account with Seattle Bicycle. Order a spare chain CASE.

Torker Cargo-T.jpg

Last edited by Fat Tire; 01-04-10 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-02-10, 06:39 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just thought I would mention, in case anyone missed it, that I had written quite a bit about the rear axle stand in the Dutch Center Stand thread here in the Utility Bike form.
Old 01-02-10, 07:05 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Tire
I have full chain guard on a brand new Torker Cargo-T, so there ARE modern examples. So find a shop that has an account with Seattle Bicycle. Order a spare chain guard.

Attachment 130374
Chain guard versus a Chain case. I have a Redline R530 with a full CHAIN GUARD a Chain case fully encloses the chain a chain guard does not. Small point a a world of difference in actual chain protection.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-03-10, 06:24 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aaron is correct about that. Supposedly, the Sunbeam chaincase was designed as an oil bath chaincase. I have never seen one, but it would be interesting to know if you had to drain it to change a tube or tyre? From things I have read, the Sunbeam may have been the high-end roadster of all time. Or maybe it was the American made Columbia of about 1900? What, you thought alloy frames, shaft drive, and things like that were new technology?
Old 10-04-10, 10:20 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Just resurrecting an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone has made their own chain case and would like to share some pics and some mounting ideas. I like the way the VO polished chain guard uses a BB mount. It would be nice to design the back half of a chain case to work like that... I am going to try and make some mock-ups and see how they work out for me.
Old 11-26-10, 03:57 PM
roofrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Hebie Chainglider on a Raleigh Shopper here.

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=P1020760.jpg

I also had one on a Racing bike that I adapted to be a fast commuter here.

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=P1020421.jpg

They are a right pain if you get a puncture and you end up covered in oil. However they do keep your chain really clean. On the Racer I had Schwalbe Marathon Plus - they've been on for nearly four years and I have never had a puncture. On the Shopper though I have Duranos and they get punctures all the time. Eventually I just took it off.

I had to cut both of them a little with a craft knife to get them to fit. These are both Superbe Pro 42t chainrings.
Old 05-28-11, 08:33 PM
jrecoi

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clasher, you might use that VO bottom bracket mount as a starting point for making a dutch style chaincase, that is to say a metal frame that is covered in a fabric covering. The really old chaincases of this type use leather, wereas newer models use vinyl.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_bicycle/5295129917
Here is an example of the chaincase frame as mounted onto a frame braze-on. Raleigh DL-1s from the early 70s had such braze-ons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_bicycle/5295130067
This is a full view of the chaincase, it can't be made out too easily, but there is a metallic piece that completes the back end of the frame that goes between the hub and the dropout.

https://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/imag..._4373_blog.jpg
This is what such a piece looks like.

https://vintagebicycle.wordpress.com/...-bicycle-1946/
If you want to go for a partial porteur chaincase in this style, the VO hardware seems like it can be modified for this purpose as well.

https://prollyisnotprobably.com/2009/...r_tutorial.php
As far as the Hebie chaincase goes, a cheap and ghetto way of imitating it would be to use electrical conduit from auto-supply stores (they are used to tidy up the mass of cables) to wrap the chain. Since the conduit is essentially a long bendy straw that's been split down the middle, it moves with the chain; its not perfect, the plastic used is not made to withstand repetitive bending and will eventually break into smaller fragments, each bit clinging to the chain. Despite this flaw, such a chaincase works fine to keep clothes clean, although it does not do much to prevent the chain from accumulating grime.

Last edited by jrecoi; 05-28-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 06:00 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
Aaron is correct about that. Supposedly, the Sunbeam chaincase was designed as an oil bath chaincase. I have never seen one, but it would be interesting to know if you had to drain it to change a tube or tyre? From things I have read, the Sunbeam may have been the high-end roadster of all time. Or maybe it was the American made Columbia of about 1900? What, you thought alloy frames, shaft drive, and things like that were new technology?
Oil bath!? Gee, I wonder why that never caught on.
Old 05-12-12, 04:22 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.yellowjersey.org/mguard.html
26" one fit my frame. Had the same measurements from the rear dropout to the bottom bracket as Raleigh Sports frames and the same bottom bracket size.

Fabricated brackets from pipe clips. Though in hindsight I'd recommend fabricating an L shaped bracket which would attach to the the top of the kickstand plate and be secured with the kickstand bolt. Also drilled through the case at the fender eyelet and used the fender bolt with a nut to help secure the case at the dropout. Between that, the stay clip, and the bottom bracket clip locations the chaincase stays put.

Old 05-15-12, 07:58 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
https://www.dutchbikebits.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_6845-500x500.JPG (50.8 KB, 195 views)
56272167-500x500.jpg (60.1 KB, 195 views)
56272026-500x500.jpg (62.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 05-15-12, 02:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I'd like to get one of the Dutch Bike chain covers, but ordering from the Netherlands seems like it would be an ordeal for something I've never seen
Old 05-16-12, 09:01 PM
kevbo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've had good experience with this vendor in Holland:
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=43

Shipping to US is not outrageous, stuff shows up in a couple weeks. The owner is actually English.

Last edited by kevbo; 05-16-12 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 08:42 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Added one of DutchBikeBits' Hesling chaincases. Required some modification to enlarge the crank arm opening for clearance and custom anchor bracket due to the presence of a kickstand plate.
Old 11-14-16, 07:32 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenway
Added one of DutchBikeBits' Hesling chaincases. Required some modification to enlarge the crank arm opening for clearance and custom anchor bracket due to the presence of a kickstand plate.
Hi, I know this is a really old thread, but I was wondering if you have any close-up pictures of how the chaincase is actually mounted on your bike?
Old 11-14-16, 11:48 AM
Fenway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a stainless steel L shaped shelf bracket and drilled holes in it to create a mounting bracket sandwiched between the kickstand plate. It was a lot of trial and error to get the alignment of the bracket to correspond with the mounting plate inside the chaincase and provide the correct spatial relationship with the chain line. Expect several hours of fitting and fussing to get it correct. In the time since I did this I've never had an issue with the case shifting out of alignment or any other trouble.

The crank arm isn't quite centered, but it works fine.

The rear mounting is a Y shaped plate of sheet metal which comes with the chaincase which snaps into the two halves of the case on one end and slips over the axle on the other. The plate is pinched into place against the dropout by the axle nut.

Last edited by Fenway; 11-14-16 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-14-16, 07:16 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

@Fenway - thanks for the pictures. Do you find that the rear axle bracket adds any particular complication to installing or removing the wheel? I've been struggling to picture how it wouldn't be a huge pain to deal with, particularly with forward-facing semi-horizontal dropouts.
Old 12-27-16, 07:11 PM
Fenway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the nut is taken off to remove the wheel the bracket comes off as well. Usually I have to unscrew the two sides of chain case to take the wheel off. It's a real pain compared to the modern copies of Raleigh chaincases that Yellow Jersey sells. Unfortunately those Raileigh copy cases don't work with anything other that cottered cranks or the special cottered look cotterless cranks that Pashley makes, but can't be purchased separately.
Old 01-02-17, 04:24 PM
agmetal

Originally Posted by Fenway
When the nut is taken off to remove the wheel the bracket comes off as well. Usually I have to unscrew the two sides of chain case to take the wheel off. It's a real pain compared to the modern copies of Raleigh chaincases that Yellow Jersey sells. Unfortunately those Raileigh copy cases don't work with anything other that cottered cranks or the special cottered look cotterless cranks that Pashley makes, but can't be purchased separately.
You mean like this?

Traditional design steel crankset - without cotter pins
Old 01-10-17, 11:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by agmetal
yes, that's a cottered crank. I assume the problem on other cranks is the spider, so maybe something like a TA Vis 5 or a similar crank would work. VO makes an inexpensive one
Old 01-10-17, 11:13 PM
agmetal

Originally Posted by unterhausen
yes, that's a cottered crank. I assume the problem on other cranks is the spider, so maybe something like a TA Vis 5 or a similar crank would work. VO makes an inexpensive one
That one is actually a cotterless crank that's modeled after cottered cranks. Very similar to, if not the same as, the one that Pashley uses on their Roadsters. I'm planning to use it for a build I'm working on.
Old 01-23-17, 07:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

huh, missed that it was cotterless. There were some stronglights in the early days that had steel arms and looked a lot like that. Although if they would fit a lot of the 54mm cranks would fit
Old 03-13-17, 01:44 PM
agmetal

I finally ordered my chaincase and installed it on the bike:

Old 03-20-17, 01:58 AM
roofrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice - is that dedicated for the bike or a universal one?
Old 03-20-17, 05:22 PM
maxwiggan

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Viscount Aerospace 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its a beauty
Old 08-29-18, 07:11 PM
Fenway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agmetal
I finally ordered my chaincase and installed it on the bike:

Nicely done. I wish I had known Dutch Bike Bits had those steel Pashley/Raleigh cotterless (cottered in appearance) crank army when I had purchased my chaincase years ago such that I wouldn't have had to cut a larger opening to clear the spider of a traditional cotterless crank arm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.