Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Warped Tires?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Warped Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 11:33 PM
Cygnus1122

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warped Tires?

I've got a Fisher Marlin '06 and have recently been taking it on some heavy duty single-tracks, jumps, and what not (not the best idea for a XC, I know). I've recently noticed that the tires seemed to be slightly warped, meaning when the tires rotate the wheel seems to wobble right and left. It's a very small wobble (I'd say about a couple cm if I had to guess). My question is, is this a big problem I need to worry about and if so are their anyways I can repair the tires? I'm fairly new at repairing bikes, but am quick and willing to learn. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-07, 11:48 PM
alumrock12
the sun never sets on me

Bikes: 853 Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure the tire is on tight.

if it still wobbles, remove the wheel, deflate the tire, remove the tire and the tube. put the rim back on without anything and spin it again. see if the rim needs to be trued(straightened) or rebuild. if it spins freely and true, check your tube for any odd looking things or shapes or deformed parts. do the same with the tire itself. put everything back together.

if you still can't find the prob. i'm down to learn from the real genuises here.
Old 03-28-07, 08:46 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
First, it isn't the tire, it's the wheel. The marlin isn't designed to be a jumper. Take it to the lbs and see if they can true the wheel up.
Old 03-28-07, 09:34 AM
snakehunter
Local Genius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
def. the wheels... the stock wheels arent meant to take such hits, and are probably machine made (not hand made) so they are out of true
Old 03-28-07, 10:34 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
First, it isn't the tire, it's the wheel. The marlin isn't designed to be a jumper. Take it to the lbs and see if they can true the wheel up.
What? It certainly CAN be the tire- there is such a thing as mis-molded tires.
But, I would say +2 to Alumrock's suggested proceedure.
Old 03-29-07, 02:07 AM
KayGee
chain smoker

Bikes: 06 Specialized Stumpjumper HT; 07 Ellsworth Moment; 06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know if it's the wheel or the tire, but I had the same problem with my front tire a while back. I did basically what alumrock said, i.e., I just deflated the tire, removed and reinserted the tube (after inspection) and inflated it. It worked good as new. Hopefully that'll be all you need to do. I could tell that the problem wasn't the wheel without having to take the tire off, however, because I just held a screwdriver close to the rim and spun the wheel to see if it was out of true, which it wasn't.
Likes For KayGee:
Old 03-29-07, 07:30 AM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one of the benefits of V-Brakes, helps keep the rims true

I've seen tires that wobble to the left and to the right a little, but I'd agree with everyone else, if you're doing jumps with stock wheels they are probably out of true.

It might be tough to eyeball trueness if you have disc brakes. You could try gripping the fork firmly with your hand and pointing your index finger at the rim until its like 1mm or so from the rim. then (while firmly holding your hand in that position) spin the wheel, if it intermittently touches your finger, your rim is out of true.
Old 03-29-07, 07:44 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mlh122

I've seen tires that wobble to the left and to the right a little, but I'd agree with everyone else, if you're doing jumps with stock wheels they are probably out of true.

It might be tough to eyeball trueness if you have disc brakes. You could try gripping the fork firmly with your hand and pointing your index finger at the rim until its like 1mm or so from the rim. then (while firmly holding your hand in that position) spin the wheel, if it intermittently touches your finger, your rim is out of true.
Since when do v-brakes help keep rims true? Never heard that one used before. From experience, v-brakes make a hinderance if your wheels have come out of true.
Old 03-29-07, 08:19 AM
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
Since when do v-brakes help keep rims true? Never heard that one used before. From experience, v-brakes make a hinderance if your wheels have come out of true.
I think he means that it forces you to check and maintain the trueness of your wheels, lest you start rubbing. Beween riding a MTB with disks and a brakeless fixie, I've become really bad about checking and truing my wheels.
Old 03-29-07, 12:17 PM
Cygnus1122

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips and tests guys, very big help. My riding has gotten increasingly more stressful for my bike recently and I don't know if I can quite stop myself if I see a nice drop/jump, seesaw, or a couple of rock gardens. I know that the Marlin is not made for this kinda stuff so no need in telling me that again. I was wondering if there's maybe some more durable rims for cheap or any way that I make it to where I still have fun on my bike without beating the hell out of it. I don't really know what to look for in rims so any help will do. Thanks again guys
Old 03-29-07, 01:09 PM
Gravity Worx
Parts Guy

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with Alumrock's suggestions.
Probably take care of the problem.

From there, to answer your question about better wheels,
A good set of wheels for the type of riding you are describing with drops, jumps, and rock gardens for a good price is definately the Halo Combat wheelset.
Strong enough for what you are doing and at a decent price too. $250 for F and R together, a little more buying seperately.
Old 03-29-07, 04:20 PM
Cygnus1122

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet thanks for the quick reply. I just got back from the LBS and the dude said the rims weren't in need of repair and that my actual tires were at fault. Lesson learned =)
Old 12-08-19, 04:54 PM
Superbeast50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlh122

I have an old school aluminum mongoose 26 in 21 speed that I rebuilt several times some used and New parts. I've tought myself to true and then to build wheels. I don't have a truing stand so I made a tool out of an old spoke that wraps around the fork. Take the tire and tube off and replace the wheel.put the tool on the fork so it's as close as I can be without rubbing the wheel. Spin the wheel and with marks put on the tool will show where the center is and where the edges of the rims are. Also since it's just wrapped around the fork it's easily moved to show high spots. Not perfect but works for me
Old 12-09-19, 10:29 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
i have a rear tire that will not seat perfectly on the bead it does this slight wobble been riding it as a xc bike didn't do much to fix it. I am getting a new bike soon. Ive checked the wheels for trueness and they are its just the tire. it could be mis molded or it could be not sitting on the rim perfectly. put a zip tie with the leader touching the rim on the seat stays spin the wheel check for wobble.

Last edited by carlosponti; 12-09-19 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-11-19, 03:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
for mine, I deflate, massage & re-inflate. this improves the tire wobble I've had with my 2.25" WTB Riddlers. I've read about large MTB type tires having this kind of issue, so you're not alone
Old 12-11-19, 05:05 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
for mine, I deflate, massage & re-inflate. this improves the tire wobble I've had with my 2.25" WTB Riddlers. I've read about large MTB type tires having this kind of issue, so you're not alone
This works well most of the time! I also inflate them to max pressure afterwards, then back them off to riding pressure after a few minutes. I've had less tire/tube slippage on the rim due to hard braking after that practice. Dunno why.... maybe it seats the tire/tube better???
Old 12-11-19, 05:31 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
A couple of cm and you are not sure what is causing it, I like the "take it to the bike shop" suggestion. Then start looking for a new set of wheels.

Good luck.