Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

XC/Trail Tire Reccomendation?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-18-21, 09:07 PM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey, I currently ride trail and XC on a 29"x2.25" hardtail. I say trail/xc because I do a lot of climbing on the road to get to trailheads, and a lot of climbing on the trails, however, I think I ride some stuff that's a bit more technical than what most xc riders ride and I definitely am a bit more abusive to my bike. After about 3 months(yes, it was that fast), the middle of my back tire is almost completely bald and my local bike shop and coach recommended that I replace it. I am wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a tire that was did these things(numbered in order of priority since I know it can't have them all). I ride in the bay area and need a tire for all seasons (I won't be swapping out during different weather). It can get kinda muddy, but it's usually pretty packed dirt and rooty with some rocks and a bit of gravel sometimes.

1: Very durable, won't need to be replaced in 3 months
2: Won't puncture easily
3:Good grip for turns
4: Easy to climb
5: Good grip for braking
6: Price point around 50-70 dollars or less since it's just a single tire.

Some people had recommended the:
- Maxxis Recon
- WTB Riddler
- WTB Trail-Boss
- WTB Ranger (Which is the tire that wore out in three months, so I'm leaning away from it)

Which of these seems like the best idea for a rear tire that would fit my needs? Any others that you would recommend?
Sorry if I said something dumb or overshared, I am pretty new to the tech side of the sport and am still learning.

Last edited by milesf; 04-18-21 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-19-21, 10:12 AM
DETarch

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've had good look with the Rekon as a rear tire on my main trail bike (paired with a more aggressive front tire). Do you also run a WTB Ranger on the front? Because that could influence recommendations...i.e. I wouldn't recommend a significantly more aggressive/knobby/grippy tire out back if you have a Ranger up front.

The nice thing about Maxxis tires is that you can choose different casings for improved durability. Personally, I run a dual compound EXO casing for my rear Rekon...the dual compound rubber is a bit more durable and EXO provides good puncture protection on my local trails. There are lots of good XC/trail rear tire options from Maxxis, including Ikon (for more true XC riding), Ardent Race, etc.

On my dedicated XC bike, I run Vittoria Barzos on both front and rear. They've been reliable for about 400 miles so far.
Old 04-19-21, 03:12 PM
milesf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do indeed run a ranger in the front. So would you recommend part numberTB96899100
Originally Posted by DETarch
I've had good look with the Rekon as a rear tire on my main trail bike (paired with a more aggressive front tire). Do you also run a WTB Ranger on the front? Because that could influence recommendations...i.e. I wouldn't recommend a significantly more aggressive/knobby/grippy tire out back if you have a Ranger up front.

The nice thing about Maxxis tires is that you can choose different casings for improved durability. Personally, I run a dual compound EXO casing for my rear Rekon...the dual compound rubber is a bit more durable and EXO provides good puncture protection on my local trails. There are lots of good XC/trail rear tire options from Maxxis, including Ikon (for more true XC riding), Ardent Race, etc.

On my dedicated XC bike, I run Vittoria Barzos on both front and rear. They've been reliable for about 400 miles so far.
Old 04-19-21, 04:54 PM
DETarch

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by milesf
I do indeed run a ranger in the front. So would you recommend part numberTB96899100
I think that specific model of Rekon would be a safe bet. EXO for puncture protection + MaxxSpeed has good rolling resistance/treadwear rating. MaxxSpeed probably gives up some grip for improved rolling resistance, FYI. Of course, whether or not most people could distinguish between compounds on an average ride is up for debate

Once the other Ranger wears out, you could put something a bit more aggressive up front, which I find impacts cornering more than the rear tire anyway.
Old 04-20-21, 06:24 PM
milesf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think that specific model of Rekon would be a safe bet. EXO for puncture protection + MaxxSpeed has good rolling resistance/treadwear rating. MaxxSpeed probably gives up some grip for improved rolling resistance, FYI. Of course, whether or not most people could distinguish between compounds on an average ride is up for debate

Once the other Ranger wears out, you could put something a bit more aggressive up front, which I find impacts cornering more than the rear tire anyway.
The reason that I was asking about the compound was less about how it would feel while riding and more about how long they would last. My WTB Ranger that I was running in the rear went almost completely bald after 3 months, I was wondering if that compound should wear out at a similar rate (is it necessary for me to replace my tires every 3 months or would these tires last longer).
Old 04-22-21, 12:57 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Panaracer Smoke/Dart. Best all-around tires ever produced.
Old 04-22-21, 01:12 PM
milesf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Panaracer Smoke/Dart. Best all-around tires ever produced.
Aren't those only 26"?
Old 04-22-21, 05:20 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Aren't those only 26"?

Get back to your roots, youngblood. What’s next? 36” wheels with 18” of travel f/r? Who needs that? Ride a bike, not a couch.
Old 04-22-21, 10:18 PM
milesf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Again, I'm quite new, but what's the reasoning for not running a significantly more aggressive tire in the rear than in the front? I know it would make for much more rolling resistance, but is there a reason other than that?
Old 04-22-21, 10:19 PM
milesf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Get back to your roots, youngblood. What’s next? 36” wheels with 18” of travel f/r? Who needs that? Ride a bike, not a couch.
I don't know what to make of you old people
Old 04-23-21, 07:59 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

I don't know what to make of you old people

Try making us into role models. You soft children need to HTFU.
Old 04-23-21, 10:03 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Again, I'm quite new, but what's the reasoning for not running a significantly more aggressive tire in the rear than in the front? I know it would make for much more rolling resistance, but is there a reason other than that?
The majority of your weight when riding is on your back tire. Because of that you don't need a more aggressive tire on the back. You'll get the traction you need, not likely to wash out and smaller lugs = less rolling resistance and easier pedaling. Because the front wheel has less weight on it and is constantly being turned left and right a more aggressive tires minimizes the chances of washing out.

I run Continental Cross King in the back and Continental Trail King in the front.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-23-21, 12:07 PM
DETarch

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The majority of your weight when riding is on your back tire. Because of that you don't need a more aggressive tire on the back. You'll get the traction you need, not likely to wash out and smaller lugs = less rolling resistance and easier pedaling. Because the front wheel has less weight on it and is constantly being turned left and right a more aggressive tires minimizes the chances of washing out.
This is my reasoning as well. I like a faster rear tire as long as it has decent climbing traction, paired with a nice aggressive front tire.

milesf Part of your issue with wearing out the rear tire could also be the riding you're doing on pavement. Pavement wears out MTB tires much more quickly than dirt (especially the rear, where most of your weight sits while pedaling seated). If you're putting in a lot of mileage that includes a decent amount of pavement to get to the trail, you might just have to deal with rear tires wearing our frequently.
Old 04-23-21, 07:11 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
I may be dating myself a couple of years but i am using Maxxiss Ardents front and rear on both my bikes. 2.4” width on the big riig and 2.25” on my more xcish bike. Lots of grip, very durable and reasonablt light all purpose tires

no complaints and possibly a tread to check out if you dont need ultimate light weight