Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Smart Sam 26x2.25 HS 367 57-559 Prroblem

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-17-20, 11:14 AM
ChedoZhulj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys i am new here and looking for an answer i hope you can give me, The problem is the folowing
I bought MTB last season with Schwalbe Smart Sam 26x2.25 HS 367 57-559 on it. Everything was fine until the rear blew up after several hours on the sun. So i looked online for a spare one with the same markings, found one in a local shop and bought it. Checked the markings and everything seemed ok, installed it and right away i noticed that the new tire looked narrower and shorter in height, although they were seemingly identical. I was not sure how it can be and measured it, the new tire is 2-3 mm narrower and 2-3mm shorter. Is this common thing or the tire i bought is a knockoff?
Thank you
Old 04-21-20, 12:41 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
"57-559" this is the actual measurement the tire company uses to reference the size. make sure those numbers are the same between old and new tires. in particular the width of the tire is the 57 number.

Last edited by carlosponti; 04-21-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 12:50 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
does the tread pattern on both tires look the same?
Its not uncommon after a redesign to have different sizes. Most tires seem to be undersized now as the marketing of wider tires are the current trend.
I'd doubt it's a knock off, as the Smart Sam is not a popular tire as I'm aware and couldn't imagine much profit in making a mold to sell a few fake tires.
Post some pictures, might be easier to tell that way
Old 04-21-20, 02:05 PM
ChedoZhulj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
does the tread pattern on both tires look the same?
Its not uncommon after a redesign to have different sizes. Most tires seem to be undersized now as the marketing of wider tires are the current trend.
I'd doubt it's a knock off, as the Smart Sam is not a popular tire as I'm aware and couldn't imagine much profit in making a mold to sell a few fake tires.
Post some pictures, might be easier to tell that way
Yes, it is the same pattern on both i have not pictured both side by side because they are mounted but i will take a photo tomorrow and post it. It might be redesign as you said