Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New to biking

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New to biking

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 09:16 AM
Arronmtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to biking

Hello all!

I have just bought a mountain bike to commute to work, ( Carrera Kraken ) idk if bike I've ordered is any good
I was wondering recommendations on bike locks and also a new bike saddle, I'm a 20 stone guy so something that's not gonna be uncomfortable as the stock seat probably will be.

Also I went for a medium size frame because I got short legs, it's completely different to what the size guide on Halfords suggested, is it a big deal?

Anyother advice would be welcomed!

Thanks
Old 03-08-21, 04:51 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Welcome! I'm assuming you're in the UK so unfortunately I don't have any suggestions other than the saddle. If you can afford it, look into Charge saddles. They're from over there.
Old 03-09-21, 09:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Saddles are very personal, but I've always had excellent service from WTB, even their lowest priced models. There probably are a plethora of YouTube videos on how to adjust your seat height, but for getting pretty close, put your heels on the pedals and pedal backwards (you need to be stationary with your bike propped against a wall or moving along to do this); when your knee is straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke (actually when it's parallel with the seat tube, but bottom of stroke is close enough), the seat height is fine. Then, you need to adjust the bar/stem combination until it's comfortable (there's a way to use a plumb bob to set this up, but read about it).
Old 03-09-21, 09:45 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
The cush on your tush is not going to have much impact on the saddle that fits you comfortably, the spacing of your 'sit bones' dictates that. Don't rule out the saddle that comes with the bike until you've tried it for a few rides. I've had saddles that on first impression I just wanted to throw in the tip, but after a couple of rides they feel great. Good luck with your new bike,
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 03-10-21, 09:11 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I have three versions of the Serfas RX series as replacement saddles. I've liked each of them, and one may fit your requirements. I like the newer road model in particular, though I am an under-14-stone guy myself.
My custom BMC Fourstroke has a WTB, and I like that too. Take your time shopping and good luck finding your match.

Last edited by BiciMan; 03-10-21 at 09:17 AM.