Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

V-brakes vs. Cantilevers

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

V-brakes vs. Cantilevers

Old 04-07-12, 01:02 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tomorrow will mark 12 years...I came to this thread -- and happy to keep it alive -- because I am considering a Surly Cross Check and a Long Haul Trucker (I'm a road racer and typically "hang out" in the 33). Thanks for the years of info here folks I'm going to use it, at first, for a 1700 mile tour through Europe, then, probably commuting and some recreational off-road riding. I think it will be V-brake for me.
Old 04-07-12, 01:18 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I like cantilever brakes. I haven't found them to be that hard to adjust and I have the old style post pads as opposed to the ones you actually screw in and can do the angle easier. Work great for a drop bar mtb conversion.

Old 04-07-12, 01:28 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have cantilever on my old bridgestone mb-2 and mb-3 without issues...but, I do like the v-brakes on my kids' mtbs
Old 05-31-12, 08:22 AM
AndyMann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not bad for an old thread! With our luck it might reach 13!
My only issue with my Bianchi Sika's cantis is heel strike.
I have Deore LX cantis on that bike and my heels often hit the brakes.
Old 04-04-13, 08:26 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
bump!

I like cantis because they offer a wide range of adjustment (which also complicates adjustment), though I haven't riddent vbrakes for a few years. I remember they stopped well but I feel like there was less modulation.
Old 04-04-13, 09:45 AM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I bought my mtn bike, there was a craze for anodized parts, so I set up my bike with blue colored parts. Got myself blue colored Critical Racing cantilever brakes with matching blue colored Paul Love Levers. Well that was back in the early 90's.....it is still going strong and like they say, if it ain't broke, why should I change to vee brakes...
Old 04-04-13, 10:09 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Minimalism is big now. In houses . . . in running shoes . . . who knows? Maybe brakes that are almost not there will make a comeback too
Old 04-04-13, 10:02 PM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Minimalism is big now. In houses . . . in running shoes . . . who knows? Maybe brakes that are almost not there will make a comeback too
...I guess I'm only a few days late posting about NYC's burgeoning brakeless fixie mountain biking scene.
Old 04-05-13, 03:15 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why???
Old 04-05-13, 08:39 AM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^a bad April Fool's idea that I didn't get to photoshop in time. If it's really happening I will go kick myself.
Old 04-06-13, 06:47 AM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not in bikes as a whole?

Old 04-06-13, 07:16 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by samburger
Why not in bikes as a whole?

I've heard those striders are the best way to teach kids to ride.

Old 04-07-13, 10:34 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
I don't know I have a merida equiped with the full 1993 lx group set, the cantis are braking well but i will replace them later with v brakes for a better and more modulable braking.
Old 04-07-13, 10:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Checking in...

Kudos to those using the search feature and not starting another cantis vs V brakes thread because it has been a question that has plagued mankind for millenia.
Old 04-08-13, 03:26 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Nothings ever quite that simple anyway. V-brakes ARE THEMSELVES a form of cantilever brakes - actually the Registered name for Shimano's version of linear pull cantilever brakes. Even cable pull isn't consistent. Mini V-brakes will have a ratio similar to traditional cantis and less mechanical advantage than V-brakes eith longer arms. And the now discontinued Shimano parallel push V-brakes have every bit as much braking power as many disc brake systems.

Tire, fender or rack clearance is usually more of a reason to end up with one system over another. Traditional cantis give the most clearance and can handle any tire/fender combination that'll fit on a bike. And they happen to be compatible with the pull ratio of most road brake levers.
Old 07-03-13, 04:39 PM
Carson Dyle

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can v-brakes generally be mounted on frames that typically use cantilevers? I'm looking at building a commuter and inevitably I come across cyclocross frames (e.g. the Soma Double Cross) as being good candidates for the build. But in any photos of these bikes as commuters they almost universally have cantilever brakes on them. I was just wondering if there's any reason that they can't use v-brakes instead?
Old 07-03-13, 06:10 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle
Can v-brakes generally be mounted on frames that typically use cantilevers?
Generally, Yes they use the same base in most instances. There are a few odd situations where that's not true that I've run into, but most (well over 95%) instances it's a direct replacement. However, be aware that you may have to change your levers as they typically are not compatible between canti and V's.
Old 10-11-13, 09:41 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm trying to fit rim brakes to a fork with narrow 55mm wide post centers combined with 22.5mm wide rims. I need suggestions for cantilever brakes with short arms and highly adjustable pad placement or I will need suggestions for V-brakes, if cantilevers are not going to fit. Both the angle of the pad and the height of the pad needs to be adjustable.

Any suggestions?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-11-13, 10:34 AM
Grimlock
Frozen in carbonite

Bikes: '85 Full Cycle Cycle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you using road brake levers or mountain (v-brake) levers?

Edit: First, I come back and then this thread. It's like 2006 never left.
Old 10-11-13, 10:45 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Are you using road brake levers or mountain (v-brake) levers?

Edit: First, I come back and then this thread. It's like 2006 never left.
Old school Shimano 600 pre-aero Road bike levers
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-11-13, 12:42 PM
Grimlock
Frozen in carbonite

Bikes: '85 Full Cycle Cycle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're committed to those levers, you'll need either cantilevers or mini-V's. A regular V-brake won't work well.
Old 10-12-13, 04:17 AM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Prophetic!
Old 10-12-13, 11:30 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm trying to fit rim brakes to a fork with narrow 55mm wide post centers combined with 22.5mm wide rims. I need suggestions for cantilever brakes with short arms and highly adjustable pad placement or I will need suggestions for V-brakes, if cantilevers are not going to fit. Both the angle of the pad and the height of the pad needs to be adjustable.

Any suggestions?
I'd probably go with some mega-reach BMX calipers. They aren't always the best stoppers but good enough for many applications.

EDIT: might not even need that. What kinda fork is it? What tires? If a touring fork and tires around 40mm- you could probably run some long-reach roadie calipers.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-12-13 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-13-13, 12:54 AM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

Any suggestions?
Paul Motolites come immediately to mind. The little brackets that the brake shoes mount to can be flipped over to not only put them above or below the brake arm, but also to move the shoes farther outboard. Of course, being from Paul's, they're a bit pricey.
Old 10-13-13, 04:34 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Greyryder
Paul Motolites come immediately to mind. The little brackets that the brake shoes mount to can be flipped over to not only put them above or below the brake arm, but also to move the shoes farther outboard. Of course, being from Paul's, they're a bit pricey.
I'm going to contact Paul. These and the touring Cantilevers look promising.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.