Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer Recommendations

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 10:09 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all. I bought a new bike and got a Garmin Edge 25 bike computer at the same time. It is going back to the shop ASAP. The guy at the bike shop had trouble syncing it. Put a new battery in and figured that was why. Well, got it home, it doesn't work. Period. Doesn't track anything and goes into pause immediately. Can't tell if it is still synched or not. Don't know how to tell. I did some research trying to solve the problem and discovered that is seems to be an ongoing problem with these units. I don't know yet with what I will replace it. I need something with Ant+ to sync up with Zwift. I want it to track miles, speed, and cadence and want that to happen inside and outside.

I am considering the Garmin 520. Will it work in the house and track miles based upon the tire rather than just based upon GPS? I want a computer that will track miles based upon tire rotation not just GPS because I want to know how many virtual miles I am putting on the bike while on the trainer for maintenance purposes and honestly so that I can easily assess how much riding I am doing. Most of my riding is actually done on a trainer using Zwift. I can't always take time to go outside. Plus, of course, over the winter, I ride inside.

I only want speed, distance, and cadence. I might just take the old computer off my old bike. It isn't Ant+ so I also put an Ant + cadence sensor on the old bike. I have an combo speed and cadence sensor for a wireless CatEye and then a CycleOps Cadence Ant+. The Ant+ syncs up with Zwift and the combo sensor syncs up with the bike computer. Works fine, but was hoping to move to one computer with one set of sensors to do it all.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-16, 01:21 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I don't have the exact model number handy, but do NOT buy a wireless speedometer from Bontrager. Bought one for my dad, first ride that would a couple mile test ride it claimed he went over 90 miles. Still pissed I spent $100 on something so crappy.

Other than that I don't have a recommendation. I personally find wired speedometers to be far more hassle free and reliable - I've never had a battery die and a wire doesn't have interference issues. It just always works. But, I don't track cadence.

When I want more sophisticated info I used a gps tracking app on my cell phone. As long as the cell phone screen is off it doesn't hit my battery life to badly, probably lose about 1/3rd of battery for a 2 hour ride.

I'd suggest a wireless model if I knew of a reliable one but I don't. I personally use a wired one on all my bikes for speed, distance, and having the time displayed in front of me. And my cell for gps tracking.
Old 09-11-16, 01:41 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
500 or 520. They have movement detectors that goes a wheel hub, turn GPS off, and your set. Movement sensor are not the stock units in a bundle. They are on Amazon.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 09-11-16, 02:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by SammyJ
500 or 520. They have movement detectors that goes a wheel hub, turn GPS off, and your set. Movement sensor are not the stock units in a bundle. They are on Amazon.
Also known as speed sensors. They run about $40, sit on the hub and sense the earth's magnetic field to determine movement. Thus they work indoors and you can tell the computer to not look for GPS. Good for trainers. The speed and cadence sensor bundle is about $65.

I would not give up on the Garmin, especially of you do not need a device that displays maps. Yes there are internet posts about problems, but I would hazard a guess that most folks find them reliable. Maybe some add'l research to find out the problem and fixes. I know, I know you should not have to be doing this out of the box, but sometimes stuff just gets wonky. If under warranty, call Garmin tech. support, they'll talk you through a fix.

I only say this as I had 2 initial issues with my Garmin 810 back in April. One resulted in a Garmin call and got the unit working correctly. Then I discovered a faulty SD card on problem 2. I now have 70 rides on this unit with no issues and love it.

Note that when first powering up it wants to be outside to find GPS satellites. It can (AFAIK) sync to the Garmin Connect Mobile app to upload activities as well as download courses, etc... That data then can go to Connect on-line, or Strava and RideWithGPS.

EDIT: DC Rainmaker has great reviews and how-to's. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Also give a look at the Wahoo devices. The RFLKT has similar functions to the Garmin 25, can use speed and cadence sensors, ports to Strava and RideWithGPS and is $80.

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-11-16 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 06:52 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you consider using your phone as Bike Computer? I put it on my rear saddle bag and it audio announce my stats at every mile.
Old 09-14-16, 04:21 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67
Have you consider using your phone as Bike Computer? I put it on my rear saddle bag and it audio announce my stats at every mile.
That wont record simulated distance when on the trainer since i wont actually be moving for gps will it?
Old 09-14-16, 06:53 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I don't have the exact model number handy, but do NOT buy a wireless speedometer from Bontrager. MiBought one for my dad, first ride that would a couple mile test ride it claimed he went over 90 miles. Still pissed I spent $100 on something so crappy.
I have no problem with the Node 1.1 (Bontrager) paired with the Garmin cadence/speed sensors and a Mio link HRM.

Reliable and accurate. Only complaint would be that it is not a true auto start (you must press any button to wake the computer head).