Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

indoor training......power meter options?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-15-16, 06:04 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Once winter hits im going to ride indoors on the trainer again this year using Zwift. I have a Kurt Kenetic....non smart trainer.

I have heard it is probably better to invest in a power meter than to go up to a smart trainer like the Tacx etc.

My issue is i ride an old bianchi from the mid 80s and i cant get off of it. I have never had a bike feel so well.

That said....what options to do i have for power meters? I know recently it sounded like the options were getting more plentiful with various inventions and smart phones etc but not sure as i have no experience with any kind of power meter.

If i went smart trainer id have to buy that plus the cost to gear it to a 7speed (i know that cassette is probably cheap) and that is an additional cost.

I want to invest a bit of money to keep my cycling in check over the winter months and i want to do it where it makes sense.

Any advice here? Any recommends on power meters or tech i could use to get accurate power numbers?
Old 09-15-16, 06:45 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You only need to do anything about the gearing if you buy the kind of smart trainer that has you remove your back tire. If you get one that keeps your back tire, this isn't necessary. If you are concerned about the tread of your tire, you can put a training tire on the wheel you have for pretty cheap money. Just a thought.
Old 09-15-16, 07:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Zwift is able to calculate power for some trainers. My son has been using it with his Elite trainer without any need for a power meter. For his trainer, Zwift knows the power values for a given cadence and speed, no need for a power meter. I wouldn't be surprised if your trainer can be used as well