Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

My turn to attempt climbing Mauna Kea!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 12:34 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ok so I'm going to the big island on Friday, bringing my Diverge Expert X1, and will attempt climbing Mauna Kea on Saturday, first leaving from my beach resort on the west side of the island.

My wife will leave a few hours later to assist me with food and drinks (she should catch up to me by the time or a bit before I reach the visitor center).

I've been practicing climbs a lot over the last few months in anticipation of this trip, so I'm quite excited at the prospect!

The problem: Weather forecast towards the top is 30-32 degrees. FML!!! I have done a few near freezing mountain climbs in the SF bay area, and let's just say they aren't exactly pleasant... I'll make sure my SAG carries hot-pockets, shoe covers, thick gloves and extra layers!

On the plus side, I suppose it'll be something to experience snow in Hawaii I know, I know, first world problems

I'm not too good at writing impressions and such, but I'll report back when I come back in a week or so, hopefully with a few pictures. Hopefully it won't be to tell you I failed...

You guys wish me luck!

Geoff
Old 04-13-17, 12:43 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
By the way I climbed Haleakala (Maui island) 18 months ago or so. It was quite fun and challenging!

Geoff
Old 04-13-17, 06:43 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I had to Google and, aw man, that looks tough. Good luck!
Old 04-13-17, 07:59 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck! I rode DOWN Haleakala maybe 12 years ago before I was really into cycling the way that I am now. It's one of my goals to go back and attempt the climb to earn my descent. I am very jealous of you...
Old 04-13-17, 10:54 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofu
Ok so I'm going to the big island on Friday, bringing my Diverge Expert X1, and will attempt climbing Mauna Kea on Saturday, first leaving from my beach resort on the west side of the island.

My wife will leave a few hours later to assist me with food and drinks (she should catch up to me by the time or a bit before I reach the visitor center).

I've been practicing climbs a lot over the last few months in anticipation of this trip, so I'm quite excited at the prospect!

The problem: Weather forecast towards the top is 30-32 degrees. FML!!! I have done a few near freezing mountain climbs in the SF bay area, and let's just say they aren't exactly pleasant... I'll make sure my SAG carries hot-pockets, shoe covers, thick gloves and extra layers!

On the plus side, I suppose it'll be something to experience snow in Hawaii I know, I know, first world problems

I'm not too good at writing impressions and such, but I'll report back when I come back in a week or so, hopefully with a few pictures. Hopefully it won't be to tell you I failed...

You guys wish me luck!

Geoff
Better than near freezing descents! Have fun, totes jealous.
Old 04-13-17, 11:43 AM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Texico
Good luck! I rode DOWN Haleakala maybe 12 years ago before I was really into cycling the way that I am now. It's one of my goals to go back and attempt the climb to earn my descent. I am very jealous of you...
DO IT! It's tough, but if I remember well it's about a constant 6% or so ascent, so it's definitely doable if you've trained a bit

Geoff
Old 04-18-17, 06:47 PM
Eric0053

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang. I just looked at it too. Looks amazingly rewarding. Hopefully I get into the sport enough to attempt a climb such as this someday.
Old 04-18-17, 09:38 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofu

You guys wish me luck!

Geoff
Jesus. I DROVE a jeep up that mountain, and it wasnt easy lol! Jeep started gasping for O2 as we got higher. It's very cool at the top though. Peak is so high the sky starts to turn black a bit from lack of atmosphere above you.

Are you ending at visitor center, or the top? If you're foing to the top...you need to be careful. I got a bit light headed with a headache after a half hour up there.
Old 04-21-17, 03:06 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Say hello to my brother Steve at the top, he's there most days polishing the mirrors on the telescopes.
Old 04-23-17, 02:30 PM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello guys! Took me a while to get around to writing my report... But I just posted it here in the Road Cycling section:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...nd-hawaii.html

It's quite wordy, but I hope you enjoy it!

Geoff