Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Uber Clyde looking for a CroMoly Steel Bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 02:03 PM
reno327

Bikes: 2008 Kona Smoke 2-9, 2014 Novara Randonee, 2009 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I'm an uber-clyde rider at 410 #s....I need help with recommendations of cromoly steel framed bikes with rigid steel forks. After reading many threads, it seems that the opinions seem to favor rigid forks and steel framed bikes. I would appreciate anyone's input, thank you.
Old 07-24-08, 03:31 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Surly, Salsa, Trek and Bianchi all make great steel frames or bikes. I personally ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker, by far the best bike I've owned. Amazingly smooth ride, and the stock components are up to us 300+ folk.

The Trek 520 is another great choice, had some of the components been more what I wanted and the price closer to the LHT, I would have gone with it.

And finally - check out your local craigslist. Used steel MTBs make great clyde bikes.
Old 07-24-08, 04:03 PM
reno327

Bikes: 2008 Kona Smoke 2-9, 2014 Novara Randonee, 2009 Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input......all nice bikes........I'm still new to riding, I was hoping to find a bike for around $500 or so. I'm looking at biking on asphalt, but I'm not into the road bikes (leaning all the way over) yet. Any other recommendations......I bought the Kona Smoke 2-9 and I'm also looking for a second bike for similar riding.
Old 07-24-08, 04:25 PM
Crank57

Bikes: Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Steel frame, solid fork are good ideas. Don't forget the wheels. I have noticed other posts where tandem bike wheels with high number of heavy guage spokes are just as important as the frame.
Old 07-24-08, 06:40 PM
AbundantChoice

Bikes: modified Worksman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think only about 2 of us on the board ride them, but have you considered a Worksman cycle?

Theyre actually industrial bikes, so they can stand up to just about *anything* you throw at them. Weight won't be an issue. Theyre extremely heavy however, and the only gearing options are one-speed or hub-based 3-speed, so you won't be setting any speed records, and if your area is hilly they might be a bad idea. You can get one set up for ~ $500-600 easy.
Old 07-24-08, 07:50 PM
tigereye
Cincy Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going through the same decision right now. For around $500 you can look at the Jamis Coda or the KHS Flite 220 or 220t. The Jamis is a flat bar hybrid whereas the Flite is a road bike, but speced to the low end of the scale.
Old 07-24-08, 09:03 PM
Harry Stone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AbundantChoice
I think only about 2 of us on the board ride them, but have you considered a Worksman cycle?

Theyre actually industrial bikes, so they can stand up to just about *anything* you throw at them. Weight won't be an issue. Theyre extremely heavy however, and the only gearing options are one-speed or hub-based 3-speed, so you won't be setting any speed records, and if your area is hilly they might be a bad idea. You can get one set up for ~ $500-600 easy.
Good idea. Years ago I worked in a factory where they got used quite a bit. I saw them loaded with lots of weight all the time.

Oh, and another vote for a Surly Long Haul Trucker. I started out just over 300 and mine has taken a beating so far without a hitch.
Old 07-24-08, 10:34 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would build pay the extra cash and build up a Surly Long Haul Trucker, maybe with a flat bar (if that is what you want).
Old 07-25-08, 06:58 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are a ton of choices in the vintage market. They might not have the "Shwag" factor with younger riders, but the right specimen can be a true joy to ride from a comfort point of view.

Lot's of "upgrade" potential too as you advance.
Old 07-25-08, 08:43 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
I would build pay the extra cash and build up a Surly Long Haul Trucker, maybe with a flat bar (if that is what you want).
I'm actually in the process of figuring out if I'm going to switch to a MTB style bar (Jones H-Bar) with thumbies or a Moustache bar. Riding in the drops doesn't agree well with my car-accident-damaged back, I've found after many miles now .

Also OP, the Smoke 2-9 is a great "all arounder". You may just keep that and save up the cash for what you really want, when you know what it is . I say that because it took me three bikes to figure it out.. and who knows if I really "figured it out" this time!!
Old 07-25-08, 10:01 AM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdinger
I'm actually in the process of figuring out if I'm going to switch to a MTB style bar (Jones H-Bar) with thumbies or a Moustache bar. Riding in the drops doesn't agree well with my car-accident-damaged back, I've found after many miles now .

Also OP, the Smoke 2-9 is a great "all arounder". You may just keep that and save up the cash for what you really want, when you know what it is . I say that because it took me three bikes to figure it out.. and who knows if I really "figured it out" this time!!
Go with the moustache bar. Serious style points.
Old 07-26-08, 07:07 AM
KMRider
Racktastic!

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Langster (R.I.P.), P4 (R.I.P.) etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reno327
Hello, I'm an uber-clyde rider at 410 #s....I need help with recommendations of cromoly steel framed bikes with rigid steel forks. After reading many threads, it seems that the opinions seem to favor rigid forks and steel framed bikes. I would appreciate anyone's input, thank you.
This is what I put together in a steel frame:

Its all toured out with racks, panniers and a Brooks B17 special but, you get the idea...it supports my #250 nicely
Old 07-26-08, 07:24 AM
vorkus

Bikes: Diamondback Wildewood Deluxe, Giant TCX 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't offer a suggestion specifically on steel, but I started with a Diamondback Wildewood Deluxe mountain bike (aluminum). I think it was 2003. I was about $400 if I recall. I weighed in at about 385 when I started.

I do highly recommend you invest in the tools and a book on truing your own wheels. It didn't take to many rides before I had wacked mine out pretty good. I trued them then a few times and they have been good since.
Old 07-26-08, 01:51 PM
goldenbrowns

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Kona Dew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could also try Jamis...

www.jamisbikes.com

They have quite a few steel road, commuter, and flat bar fitness/road bikes. This 260 lb Clyde is the very happy owner of a Jamis Aurora. Good luck!
Old 07-26-08, 07:34 PM
Sam Wade
Doinga180

Bikes: Nashbar frame with Campagnolo components, Electra Townie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started at 429# with a steel frame Trek and it was misery. My Back ached, my arms hurt holding "me" up. Go get a Townie from Electra. I have ridden mine down 70 pounds and I love it. No pain, just a good ride and a good work of the legs.
Shoot me a PM if you want some help.
-Sam
Old 07-26-08, 08:13 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Picked this one up on Craigs List for $75, added trekking bars and slicks, so I have about $120 into it as it sits. Deore LX and DX components. 1992 Trek 950, true temper lugged chrome moly frame. Strong 26 inch wheels. There are many comparable bikes by other manufacturers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek 950 comp 01.JPG (57.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
trek 950 comp 02.JPG (34.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-27-08, 07:02 PM
SuperFatDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid or mountain bike?

Try Jamis, KHS, Kona and GT.

Depending on what your lbs's sell you may be able to find something.

Otherwise you'll need to do a lil online research.
Old 07-27-08, 07:22 PM
LordBass

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 500, 1981 Motobecane Super Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigereye
..For around $500 you can look at the Jamis Coda or the KHS Flite 220 or 220t.
These are great choices in the $500 range. If you are new to riding, you probably don't want to mess with maintenance on an old bike, and buying can be hard unless you know what you are looking at. The above bikes from a good LBS will give you a great intro to road cycling.